Double Surgery Ahead

Previous topic - Next topic

TheTexican

A big Howdy from South Texas.

I've been approved by insurance (finally) for an implant. Because my Peyronie's is a 90 degree upward bend, the doc will actually do two procedures that day. I'm not looking forward to the days after the surgery, but the long-term benefits should be worth it.

Anyone else have a similar double-procedure?

Thanks, y'all.

The Texican
52 years old
RP 2016
Peyronies 2017, 90+ degree upward curvature
AMS 700 CX Implant, March 2019

University Professor of European History.

Pfract

Hello there from Canada. Nice to know that. You mention two procedures... i am wondering exactly which one, besides the implant? i presume you are having some sort of plaque/curvature correction as well? excision and grafting? plication? Which implant are you going to have? AMS or Titan?

Please share more details with us!

TheTexican

I'm getting the AMS device. The doc wants to do a plication as well as the implant bc the curvature is so pronounced.  
52 years old
RP 2016

redbullmaster

A plication will loss you length, ask about a graft with the implant to save length.
There may be a reason your doc doesn't want to do a graft, but make sure you ask.

TheTexican

I ask my doc about that. His concern with a graft is that my bend starts too close to my abdomen  for a graft to be done easily. I'm concerned about loss of length, but just having the implant will make me forget about it!
52 years old
RP 2016

Pfract

Well... Actually, it won't. Depending on your outcome it may even make it worse. Have you done your research?

Please, read this thread thoroughly:
Penile Implant Forum -Tech info compilation and Index - Peyronies Society Forums

Alibaba

My personal opinion of nesbit or plication is that it is a simple quick easy way for the doctor to get the job done and save time to get the next surgery. Not his dick so if it is shortened, no whoop.  It does have a lower risk factor due to shorter time in surgery and no graft. Any doctor that can nail on a horseshoe and tie a knot can do it because it takes less skill than grafting.   Still my opinion.  An alternative might be a Coloplast implant and skip the plication. Many doctors have very good success with that more rigid implant taking care of the bend. If your issue is at the base and the damn fool stacks on tip extenders, no implant will help the bend though. Skill is essential to a good outcome, especially when issues are compounded. Cheers. Keep us posted.  
Milam 1/13/16-LGX 21cm - BAD service & surgical outcome Hated infrapubic.
Kramer revision 3/1/17 Titan 22cm + 1.5 cm extenders

TheTexican

My surgeon wants to use the AMS implant because it has built-in antibiotics. I'm diabetic and it takes us longer to heal and an increase in complications. I'm an statistical researcher by trade, so I've probably done more reading on this than the average guy. Two years later, I'm finally at a place where I feel comfortable to proceed. I'm not expecting a perfect specimen when it's all over.

I really appreciate everyone's concerns. I'll have a final conversation with the doc about this.  I'll keep y'all posted.  
52 years old
RP 2016

redbullmaster

I would think of getting a second opinion form a different surgeon if I were you.
Once you had the plication you wont get your size back, so bear that in mind.

Also both implants have antibiotics coating, both are at the same risk of infection.

Having a perfect specimen may not be possible, but you should be looking for the best outcome possible.

Hawk

I am not trying to alter you decision on any point you have made and I appreciate the fact that you have read a lot and researched the options.  I just want to clarify a few points that you or others reading this might already know or might not know.

As Redbullmaster pointed out the Titan cylinders have a special hydrophilic design. That means they bond with the specific antibiotic solution the surgeon chooses to coat them with.  That solution actually bonds with the material and they are at least every bit as effective in preventing infection as an AMS device.   The surgeon's volume and his own specific infection rate are a much better indication of outcome and risk for infection.  Most surgeons quote industry standards and averages rather than their own infection rates when asked and they vary considerably from near 5% to .5%.  The only one I know (there may be others) that has a rate of .5 is Dr. Eid as calculated over thousands of implants with the no touch technique he developed.

Multiple procedures on a penis increases risk of infection regardless of who the surgeon is.

Dr. Eid says that a highly skilled surgeon can correct a 180 degree bend with incision and a Titan implant without plication.  There are photos of such corrections on the forum. An Example of a Penile Implant Straightening a Severe Deformity - Peyronies Society Forums. This is important for others reading these posts to understand.  
Prostatectomy 2004, radiation 2009, currently 70 yrs old
After pills, injections, VED - Dr Eid, Titan 22cm implant 8/7/18
Hawk - Updated 10/27/18 - Peyronies Society Forums

TheTexican

That link and photos are amazing. That could have been my photo pre-op.

This forum is so very helpful. I appreciate y'all.
52 years old
RP 2016

Hawk

Quote from: TheTexican on January 13, 2019, 08:39:42 AM
That link and photos are amazing.

I agree.  One has to ask, if that man did not require plication or grafting, who would require it?

Alibaba

Texan, I have HIV.  Risk factor for infection. Decreased immune system. I have cared for people with diabetes. Bottom line for both is they are mostly a non issue when you properly control the disease. It is good you doctor wants to take precautions. That said, your disease should not limit your options if it is properly controlled and the doctor uses adequate safety protocol in surgery. The coating on the implant should not  be a substitute for proper medical procedure.  Only an add on perk that the other implant brand has, be it in a different format.

TheTexican

Big update.

My surgeon called me and asked if I'd be comfortable with forgoing the plication and using the Titan. He consulted others in his office and we have a plan similar to what y'all have suggested.

Tomorrow is the big day. I'm nervous, having second thoughts, etc., but know it will be worth it. I'm mad they won't let me keep my boots on during surgery.

I'll keep y'all updated.

The Texican
52 years old
RP 2016

Pfract

Junior

Good luck with your surgery, others have had so much success with this procedure!
ED - born 1952   /Peyronies Disease Onset 7/2018 at 65 / Prostatectomy 4/1/2019 / Low - T testosterone therapy June 2019 / June 2019 Peyronies Disease at 70 degrees - July 2019 started Xiaflex 1st cycle

Alibaba

Hoping to see you report all is well. You will be wondering why you did this for a few days but it gets better. Cheers man.  

Stepone

Hey guy

Was wondering how the surgery went?
I am considering an implant too.
I meet with my surgeon next month to discuss.
Hope you are well.

Keith
Nesbit surgery 2015, 66 years young, Titan Implant 4/25/19, 22cm, Dr. Lentz, Duke University NC

TheTexican

Surgery completed and I'm home after a night in the hospital. So far, I can't really whine about anything. Pain is tolerable. Surgeon is pleased with the outcome of both procedures. The worst part was the partial deflation in the hospital. Yikes.

My stick is now a swollen, black and blue mess. Pretty terrifying to look at, but pain meds are taking care of me.

I'll binge Game of Thrones this weekend and sit around like a bum.

TheTexican
52 years old
RP 2016

Hawk

Congratulations!  Please refresh my mind.  Did you have just the implant surgery with a Titan or did you have an additional procedure?  You are the third guy on the forum getting an implant the same day.

TheTexican

I had a modified Nesbit procedure and then an AMS device installed.
52 years old
RP 2016

SW01

Good luck to you and hope all goes well.  
Dealt with ED, Peyronies, & venous leak for 3 yrs.
implant on March 7, 2019 w/ a Titan 18 cm plus 1cm RTE
Revision after hernia surgery. Dr. Andrew Todd, Richmond KY
Removed Titan and put in LGX 18 cm plus 2 RTE's, 20 cm total.

Alibaba

Just lay back and rest. The more time you spend off your feet this week, the less swelling you will have. Fill everyone in on the details about the surgery when you are up to it. Cheers man. You did it.  

TheTexican

Thanks for the encouragement. It seems like each day something new decides to take its turn hurting. This morning it's the snake eyes on my glans. I had some slight bleeding overnight, but not enough for me to be alarmed.

Honestly, I need my bowels to start working again. I've taken everything from prescribed laxatives to Metamusil to my wife's magnesium supplements. Nothing is working. I've limited my use of the prescribed pain pills, as well.

I know I need to be patient. I'm not used to sitting around. It's been three days since I've  been home from the hospital and I'm already getting frustrated.

At least college basketball is still going on!
52 years old
RP 2016

Alibaba

Over the years I've had many surgeries. Most times I do not take the prescribed pain meds but the I.V. opiates they give in the hospital are still constipating. I've found freezer waffles, raisin bran, cantaloupe, drinking warm teas and as one of my friends says, "corn, that'l clean you out".  Milk of Magnesia is suggested on my post surgical instructions often.  Stool softeners are of very limited help in my opinion. Soft does not equate to getting it done.  Freezer waffles and corn are the best. Avoid anything that will give you gas like beans or the misery will get worse. Cheers man

TheTexican

Great counsel, Alibaba. Thanks for the post.  
52 years old
RP 2016

SW01

Day 5 for me. I stopped my pain meds Sunday night and still could not go Monday. This is after metamucil and other phosphates.

Took some dulcolax Monday night. All is fine Tuesday morning.

Hope all is going good with you. I could not be happier so far.  

TheTexican

Glad to hear things are going well for you. My wife gave me a cocktail of milk of magnesia and prune juice last night. I lost 4 pounds this morning!

I'm taking a chance and teaching my 3 hour class Wednesday morning. My wife isn't too happy about it and I may regret it. I just have to get out and do something.

Pain has been tolerable for me. What's becoming a real annoyance is the itching. It's driving me crazy. I'm not sure what's causing it. Maybe the surgical glue, maybe hair growing back, maybe the bruising just healing. All I know is I want it to stop!

I had a WTF moment this morning, wondering why I did this. I'm sure that will pass soon. I see my doc in a couple more weeks.

All the best to you, SW01.

TheTexican
52 years old
RP 2016

Hawk

I suspect it is the hair growing back.  I went through a stage after the initial first few days of pain where it was my worst complaint.

Alibaba

Quote from: Alibaba on January 24, 2019, 01:33:08 AM
Hoping to see you report all is well. You will be wondering why you did this for a few days but it gets better. Cheers man.

Everybody goes through that stage. You will get past it quick. Stay off your feet and when you do spent too much time on your feet, lay back and ice it. You don't want to be asking yourself why you put yourself through this twice. Cheers man. Listen to your wife. That is why we have them.  Men get in trouble trying to run solely on dick sense.  ::)

SW01

Hope all is going well with you. Man, I am so happy so far. I look pretty much normal. Cannot believe this has been so straightforward. Trying not to think of anything negative period. One thing everyone says patience and not think what you look like now is how it will look a few months from now.

Again good luck.

TheTexican

You have a great attitude! I'm so impatient and want this recovery to be over. I'm glad the swelling is down and the pain is just an inconvenience. My wife is babying me And won't let me do anything - even take out the trash.

Looking back, my recovery hasn't been too bad. The surgery itself just came at a difficult time, right in the middle of my teaching semester.
52 years old
RP 2016