Verapamil or Xiaflex ?

Previous topic - Next topic

tonyode

So I am scheduled to begin Xiaflex injections. Very familiar with these injections. Not so much with VERAPAMIL. My Doc didn't bring up Verapamil as an option. He did very thorough exam, ultrasound, measurements, etc, etc. My options were Xiaflex or surgery. I am sure as to how they determine which injection to use? Seems like Xiaflex is the most common to me. Does this depend on the plaque and if it has calcified or what? Curious to know more about Verapamil and why this would be used instead of Xiaflex? Thanks!
Early 50s, 7 months diagnosed. 55 degree curve, indentation at base to the left.

sutty

Hi there.  My experience was that prior to xiaflex being available as an option, my doctor administered a series of verapamil injections to some moderate effect.  Once xiaflex became an option that became the treatment of choice.   Xiaflex for me has been much more effective.  Curious to hear from others however who might have a more informed understanding.  
52, 8 years, Married, 30 degree curve, Verapamil/traction/Xiaflex

Joe19403

I completed the xiaflex treatment and no change to the curve.  The hour glass did go away.  
Please go to PROFILE then FORUM PROFILE to replace this signature line text with your profile info such as
age, date of onset, symptoms, treatments tried,
relationship status, etc

Bubba dawg

5 Rounds of Xiaflex. Good results.

I am known to give out false information and post nonsense with little to no evidence to back up my claims.
I have ignored several warnings. Further reports to the moderators or Administrators and I will be banned.

blackdiamond

Guys my understanding is that Verapamil was the choice prior to Xiaflex becoming available. I never did Verapamil and waited for Xiaflex...........
I did the entire protocol of Xia........Traction, Ved, Modeling, stretching the whole deal.............
My results were quite successful......after months of diligent work I went from a 75 degree bend to 15 degrees..........My Doc was impressed.......
62 years old
Onset approx 2012
Treatment-- Xiaflex,VED,Manual stretching, Traction
Started with 75 Degree bend and after all treatment
went to 15 degrees........My Doc was impressed

Bubba dawg

Wow that is good black diamond.  I am stuck at a 15 to 20 curve now. More like a kink when I stopped xiaflex. Doc didnt tell me to do traction or ved . I was at the point where I couldn't have sex when I started treatment. So I think I did pretty good too. Just didnt think xiaflex would perfect it. Maybe it would. Just dont know. Started taking l acetyl caratene today. Hopefully that will improve things even more. I am usually allergic to everything so we will see if i can keep taking it.  Congratulations on your success . No pain, no gain
5 Rounds of Xiaflex. Good results.

I am known to give out false information and post nonsense with little to no evidence to back up my claims.
I have ignored several warnings. Further reports to the moderators or Administrators and I will be banned.

blackdiamond

Thanks Bubba dawg.........You had good success as well........
I must say that I worked my ass off using the Traction 5-6 hours a day.......and the VED 2x day.........
But happy w the results..........Good luck.....
62 years old
Onset approx 2012
Treatment-- Xiaflex,VED,Manual stretching, Traction
Started with 75 Degree bend and after all treatment
went to 15 degrees........My Doc was impressed

Bueller

Hey I went to Dr. Lue is San Fran and he said if he said something along the line that the layer of my tunica was too thin and that if I had a xiaflex injection it would swell and cause a rupture. Does that sound right? Does xiaflex cause that much swelling.

Do you think verapamil would be better? Does verapamil cause swelling?
32 yrs old had slight left bend starting at 29. Started Pentox and cialsis 2 years later developed multiple plaques on both sides one on top. Lost 1 inch of length and girth after multiple plaques became present. Now pentox 1x a day and 2.5 of ciali