MEDICATIONS related Q&A

Previous topic - Next topic

E_Scapegoat

I've been diagnosed for ADD, and I do seem improvement in my performance at work when i take adderal (or vyvance) however because I have peyronies, which is causing ED, I am concerned that the adderall is making this condition worse.

I have heard the more erection and bloodflow the better, or else plaque will continue to develop and IF adderal has negative effects on my erections, even when the drug wears off, or I take it every other days, i need to know if I should continue with adderall, or use another drug to counteract its effect.

Tim468

Time to be open with the doc and to talk to a pharmacist.

From your post it is not clear what changes you are experiencing if any.

Tim
52, Peyronies Disease for 30 years, upward curve and some new lesions.

ComeBacKid

Scapegoat,

I don't like any of those medications, as I was once on an anti depressant, it really does work, but has many side effects, one of them being lack of daily erections, almost impossible to reach orgasm without intense focus and muscle strain, and increased sweating, even when just moving about in your house in cool air.

I think the lack of erections is very bad for peyronies, and may have made my peyronies worse.  I would avoid it unless you absolutely need it to function at work, as you don't want to lose your job.  Talk to your doctor about other medications that may have other side effects, you want to avoid any sexual side effects.  If you determine you absolutely need it to function at work and keep your job, buy a VED and pump daily to supplement lost erections.  Best of luck to you.

Comebackid

cowboyfood

Is the use of Niacin affective treatment?  I have a couple of bottles of flush free Niacin, 1000mg capsules.  I believe slowandsteady might have suggested this supplement, but then I quit using it for whatever reason.  I never had any noticeable side effects from the supplement.

CF
Currently:  L-Arginine (2g), Vit D3)

BrooksBro

I do not know about the effects of niacin on the peyronies condition.

I take 1,000 mg SLOW RELEASE niacin capsules (4 250 mg per day, with meals) for low HDL.  I tried fast release and the side effects were most unpleasant, even with taking aspirin 15 minutes before as is suggested to reduce them.  With the slow release, I sometimes get a very brief (a few seconds) of a flush feeling, barely noticeable.  A physician wrote "no flush, no effect," which I interpret as the flush free was less effective or ineffective, at least for raising HDL cholesterol.  When I am on the niacin, my HDL is above 50; when not, it is in the 30s.  

George999

Anyone here taking niacin for cardio issues should look into:

1)  Getting a vitamin D test and making sure blood levels are 50-70ng/ml and supplementing as necessary to get them there.

My HDL levels shot up after I got my vitamin D levels in order.

2)  Making sure you are getting enough Omega-3's from high quality fish oil supps.  Omega-3's will also help your HDL levels.

I recall at least one study questioning the value of niacin for raising HDL.  It seemed to indicate that even though niacin powerfully raises HDL, it does not improve cardio outcomes proportionately.  My wife recently quit niacin for that reason WITH the cardiologists approval.  Of course WHATEVER you do in this regard, only do it in consultation with your cardiologist.  Each person's case is different and only your own doctor will know the ins and outs of your particular case.  But I believe that vitamin D and Omega-3's make more sense in treating Peyronie's than something like niacin.  - George

newguy

One or two studies using a niaicin + taurine combo, showed it to be useful in combatting fibrosis. This is likely another part of the story of why some men with peyronie's disease are trying it. There's no evidence that it's of use to us as such, but who knows.

I agree with George below, the body of work for Vitamin D (and Omega 3) supplementation is growing by the week. Even those without peyronie's should make sure they have sufficient levels. Being that we are lumbered with this condition we should make sure that we maintain optimal health in all areas.

BrooksBro

Quote from: George999 on May 18, 2010, 11:45:00 AM

1)  Getting a vitamin D test and making sure blood levels are 50-70ng/ml and supplementing as necessary to get them there.

My HDL levels shot up after I got my vitamin D levels in order.

2)  Making sure you are getting enough Omega-3's from high quality fish oil supps.  Omega-3's will also help your HDL levels.

I have never heard of a test for vitamin D level.  Interesting to learn of this.

What brands and dosages are you taking of both vitamin D and fish oil?  With or inbetween meals, single or divided doses?

cowboyfood

Thanks, I'll start "digesting" the information everyone posted.  

Although I take 1K of D3 capsules daily, I have not had my Vitamin D level tested.  I do need to get on the fish oil supplement, I've been taking that sporadically.  

I've had three bottles of niacin I bought from puritans pride, so I'll see if I can put them to some beneficial use.

CF

slowandsteady

Quote from: BrooksBro on May 19, 2010, 06:27:11 AM
I have never heard of a test for vitamin D level.  Interesting to learn of this.

What brands and dosages are you taking of both vitamin D and fish oil?  With or inbetween meals, single or divided doses?

@BrooksBro: you might want to give www.grassrootshealth.net and vitamindcouncil.org a read. Vitamin D supplements is probably far and away the best thing you can do for general health. Make sure that the type of D you take is in an oil cap as opposed to a dry formulation. You might want to take 5000 IU for three months (I get this one),  get your levels checked, and adjust from there.

BrooksBro

CVS pharmacy had their house brand vitamins on-sale this week; buy 1, get another for $0.01.  I picked up 2,000 IU D3 soft gels.  I'll start with 1/day while I look into testing.

BrooksBro

Here is my recent experience with slow release niacin, with before and after lab results.

I had been taking 3 250 mg capsules daily (with meals) for about 2 years, and had acceptable blood cholesterol.  I saw a registered dietitian in early March and she said I needed more calories and fat.  To see the effects the new nutrition plan would have on my cholesterol, I stopped taking the niacin.  

FEB 24
Chol - 167
Tri - 106
HDL - 46
LDL - 100
Chol/HDL - 3.6

Stopped taking niacin in early March, started eating about 200-300 more calories a day, and fat percentage up from 10 to 25.

APR 26
Chol - 183
Tri - 99
HDL - 39
LDL - 125
Chol/HDL - 4.7

After the April 26 results, my internal medicine doc told me to start taking 750 mg slow release niacin with my evening meal.  Instead, I went to 250 mg 4x daily, with meals.  He also prescribed Zocor, but I have yet to receive it from my mail order pharmacy.  With the results below on the niacin, I asked if he wants to reconsider the Zocor.  I await his reply.

MAY 24
Chol - 158
Tri - 82
HDL - 47
LDL - 95
Chol/HDL - 3.4

I really do NOT want to take the statins, especially with niacin.  That combination has great risk of producing muscle toxicity.  My fear is that may impair by ability to run and weight train.

surferdude

Hey there,

I tried to order some Vasoflow from San but I discovered it was discontinued. Does anyone know of a suitable replacement?

jamesmetairie

in the USA is there any nation wide health food stores or regular pharmacies that sell it?
jamesmetairie

mike67

Look up Puritan's Pride. I now get my Ubiquinol from them. I recieved my shipment of 2 bottles here in Ontario in about 5 days from time of order. I started using a brand called Reserveage Active Ubiquinol CoQ10.
Best wishes
Mikey

crashbandit

iherb is really good too. Very fast aswell. I live in Canada and get it within 2-3 days still.
Cheers

newguy

I always go with iherb too, even though I live in the UK. It typically takes just 3 or 4 days to arrive. There is a customs fee, but it's still cheaper than buying locally.

cowboyfood

A post about puritans pride is below in a previous post.  I've been very satisfied with their prices and service.

They are currently having a 2 for 1 and a 3 for 1 sale (depending on the product) right now....But, I think today may be the last day.  However, they do have these promotions several times during the year.

link:
http://www.puritan.com/ubiquinol-639?searchterm=ubiquinol&rdcnt=1&page=1&sortOrder=2

CF

trevorrr

Drugs taken Pentox, Potaba, ALC, coq10, gotu Kola. ANy one else experience hallucinations or very intense dreaming due to these meds? particularly pentox or potaba? I'm not terribly concerned but I use to never dream now I'm having 3 to 4 per night very strong almost real and also hallucinations. Id take a lifes worth of nightmares to get rid of this real life peyronies nightmare lol. any way sounds random just thought id post this question

goodluck

Curious why the Gotu Kola?  I know it is a mild tranquilizer and improves mental function.   Any benefit for Peyonies?  

trevorrr

Ive read that its under the category of natural treatment same with bromelain or ACL or Vit E. Effectiveness is obviously debatable and may not work for most but hey with this disease you gotta be willing to throw everything at it.

dioporcolorisolvo

I've ordered Ubiquinol and Acetyl Carnitina on Swanson Health Product's site (and Swanson brand).
Their price is low, but how can i do to know about their quality?
Are their products reliable?
Thanks

Worried Guy

I believe they are good quality and have been around for years.  They are also made in the USA and not China. I ordered from them but got stung on customs duties.

sgtnick

diopo.....

I have been using Swanson Ubiquinol, Astaxanthin and Coconut Oil for a long time.  Their quality is great and their price can't be beat.

I can tell a difference in the way I feel, however, using supplements took a little time, 2-3 months.  I don't miss a day because of the effect it has had with me.  Supplements, as well as Pentox, did NOT help my Peyronies Disease and I eventually received a prosthesis.  I feel great.
Swanson quality and price is terrific!

George999

Dealing with the whole "supplement quality" issue is really difficult.  Just like the horror stories one hears with prescription drugs, high price does not guarantee quality.  A lot has to do with what exactly the supplement is.  In the case of a pharmaceutical type supplement like Ubiquinol, its really all the same stuff no matter where you buy it.  Its like gas for your car, the only difference is the additives.  In the case of aminos like ALC, Euro sourced is generally better quality than Asia sourced.  Companies like Swanson often sell both, the euro one being labeled "premium".  In that case it is a matter of asking them where they get their raw product.  In the case of herbs and even anything green, it is a crap shoot.  All over the world green products, even organic green products, are grown in places exposed to lead and other toxic heavy metals to one degree or another.  Unless its clearly labeled as being "tested for heavy metals", it carries a risk even if it is an expensive brand from a reputable vendor and tested safe products will cost you up to four or five times what untested products cost.  Fish oil is getting safer as processing can economically remove contaminants, but herbs and such are a whole different ballgame.  Thats life.  You either pay through the nose in the first place or you pay through the nose for MCP to decontaminate your body afterwards.  - George

crashbandit

Yep, you gotta do your research on any product. Try to find quality signitures that guarentee it's purity. When I buy my fish oils, it makes me feel good that it has GMP certification, which stands for Good manufacturing practices within Canada. And I know the Canadian government has very strict guidelines.

Cheers