My Xiaflex Journey

Previous topic - Next topic

TDix

Update, I have now developed foot drop in my right foot (inability to fully lift my foot).  I am hoping this is not related to the nerve damage I got with my last injection as foot drop is caused by nerve damage.
47 yrs old, 3 yrs diagnosed
Xiaflex w/original uro resulted in a fracture
Excision/grafting by Dr Faysal Yafi 3/26/19
Implanted by Dr Yafi 8/11/20, Titan 20cm + 1cm RTE

tonyode

Damn TD I am so sorry ur going through this. I would highly doubt it was the actual drug xiaflex that would cause this. Sure sounds more like the doc who did the procedure possibly hit something, a nerve with the needle . Sure hope it gets better!  
Early 50s, 7 months diagnosed. 55 degree curve, indentation at base to the left.

TDix

Thanks man I actually got my nerve damage from when my vein ruptured, not from Xiaflex.  I watched the whole injection and he was solely in the plaque.  He's done hundreds of injections and is highly respected, so I believe it is simply my body broke down more than the plaque with the injection.  The ruptured vein caused trauma to the whole area down there as it was like a balloon popped inside during a morning erection.  Planning on seeing another doctor in January so I have two sets of eyes on this.  Dr Wachs even recommended it, saying all he wants is what's best for me

TDix

My complications are extremely rare.  I cannot find any other case even remotely similar to mine

Pfract

Oh such a bugger man... That's so distressing. Hopefully it's not related and if it's, which it looks like it, may you find some sort of solution.  :'(

Bubba dawg

I had one Hematoma . Pretty sure that was due to the Doctor cranking down on my penis really hard trying to work the medicine in. Scared the you know what out of me to wake up to that. Big ole sack of blood pooling. I don't think I got an erection during that time. I was on the phone to him pretty quick. Didn't care that it was Sunday lol. Your case should make members think twice about trying to perfect your penis with more injections. You never know what can go wrong. I know you didn't do that at that point. I am facing that decision right now. Not sure if I want to push my luck. Rare that your problem happens, but that doesn't make you feel better.  
5 Rounds of Xiaflex. Good results.

I am known to give out false information and post nonsense with little to no evidence to back up my claims.
I have ignored several warnings. Further reports to the moderators or Administrators and I will be banned.

TDix

Xiaflex is made to look like a promising procedure, saying there is a 1% chance of a fracture, and that those that did engaged in sex within two weeks of injection.  I was scared I was in that 1% even though I did not have sex.  Nowhere in the risks does it mention possible vein rupture/nerve damage resulting in possible further nerve damage elsewhere in your body.  Had I seen that I would've definitely had a harder look than I already did at injecting my penis.  My worry now is that if an injection can do this to me, what would the result of surgery be?

kingprof

Those nighttime erections were the worst part for me. I was more fortunate than you and others in that I did not have any ruptured veins or hematomas. Still, I did not sleep well for about a week from the nighttime erections. Once I woke up in a full yell because it hurt so bad.  
58 yrs old, 45 degree bend to the left, noticed Peyronie's first in April, 2018. Three rounds of Xiaflex.

TDix

I'll never forget being half asleep with an erection and involuntarily clenched my kegel muscles to feel a rush of blood and instant pain. Never want to feel that again!  Let alone more erections the following days worried it would happen again!

tonyode

TD..feel for you man. But with any kind of medical procedure, there is obviously a chance something could go wrong/ or it doesn't work. Unfortunately, you feel into that slim margin where something did happen. This board has a great deal of great information from the experience of many. But, all of that information is not always a good thing for the mind either. I liked that I found this board, but after reading your situation and a few others, it did scare the crap out of me. My doctor comes off very confident and basically shrugged off that much could happen. Had my first injection last Thursday and so far, minus the pain in the area of the plaque, only when touched, I have been pretty pain free the past couple of days. Certainly black n blue...hardly any swelling at all. I know we have talked about the spacing of injections. Which my Doc does a week apart. With our sensitive my area is, I am glad I have another few days to heal up. I can't imagine getting an injection today with how sore that area is. Anyway, I hope things turn a positive way for you!
Early 50s, 7 months diagnosed. 55 degree curve, indentation at base to the left.

TDix

I'm sorry if my posts scare some who are considering this treatment.  I have thought in the past about removing them, but thanks to a few messages from Hawk, I feel that all sides of this treatment should be brought forward to those considering it.  I am seeing my primary Dr tomorrow to look into my foot/depression issues, and have an appt with Dr Yafi next week to get another set of eyes on my Peyronie's issues.  I really wanted to be #1, the guy who had Peyronie's just go away-didn't happen.  #2 be the guy that had miraculous success with Xiaflex-didn't happen either.  I've looked at it from the perspective of had I done nothing, where would I be?  It's a tough call to make, and unfortunately for me my aggressive approach produced aggressively negative effects.  Will keep updating on my status after these next few Dr visits.  Also, know that Xiaflex injections are an aggressive treatment.  As my Dr says, "you're injecting your penis".  That is not a passive treatment.

Bubba dawg

I wonder if anyone has reported a tdix happening on this forum or any other forum?. If not, then that still leaves the possibility of doctor error. One case out of 10s of 1000s of injections, doesnt make Xiaflex treatment risky

I am known to give out false information and post nonsense with little to no evidence to back up my claims.
I have ignored several warnings. Further reports to the moderators or Administrators and I will be banned.

TDix

Could very well have been.  Hard to imagine he would've been the only one if so.  Like a lot of stuff revolving around this condition, maybe when stuff like what happened to me occurs, no one reports it.  Hard to believe it has never happened with any other doctor, and there was no documentation as a result.  Then again if I never mentioned it here, who would know?

tonyode

TD..no, ur story and information are needed in a forum like this. People need to know the negatives as well as the postives. It's knowledge over something many people, like myself, had never heard of this prior to getting it. It's always better to walk into a Doc having some insight. Like anything else out there, there good Docs and not so good Docs. First Uro I saw took about 10 min with me, then said see you in 6 months. That wasn't good enough for me. Then I found the one I have now who thus far has been great. There just isn't much out there about this issue. Xiaflex at least is available to at least help us out. But...at 60%, it's certainly far from perfect and obviously has its dangers. Only other options really are leaving it alone or surgery. I think surgery on our junk scares the crap out of me. I did consider it thinking it was a one time thing at a 95% success rate...get it over with instead of dealing with 6 months of injections. I am hoping I get enough improvements to not have to do all 8. We'll see. Hang in and good luck with ur appt.

Bubba dawg

I am glad TDix posted his story too. Just would have to see other similar failures here or anywhere to say Xiaflex is risky treatment. If no one else reports bad things , we are stuck saying the treatment is relatively safe. Usually bad news gets out somehow. Maybe others will come forward.  I got the xiaflex disclaimer and there were a lot of terrible possibilities listed. Seemed they were doing the usual cya routine. Doctor assured me he had done many with no problems. He said my hematoma happened sometimes but not often. Yea if bad things happen we need to know. Right now I will continue to recommend it. I couldn't have sex. Now I can have sex. Not perfect. No lasting side effects so far. This is a long term treatment. Not a quick fix. Not painless. Bad things can happen but they are rare as far as we know. Other peyrones treatment options have risk too

TDix

Thanks guys.  I don't think Xiaflex is risky, but it is aggressive treatment.  For all I know this has some underlying issue that hasn't been discovered in me yet.  I've thought about everything, and I remember even back when I got my vasectomy 17 years ago I got abnormal scarring and the Dr had to go back in and remove it.  The fact my brother also has Peyronie's factors in too.  I guess there is a reason a lot of urologists are looking at my case.  Be interesting to see what the Dr says about my foot tomorrow.  If it's tied into any nerve damage from my vein rupture, I think I'm a 1 in a million case.  Do I think Dr Wachs is a bad Uro?  No.  Did he maybe get too aggressive with my last injection?  Possibly.  What has happened to me just simply can't be categorized, as there are so many variables with this condition.  Genetics,  a bad injection, underlying conditions....who knows.  I will say it's a journey a year ago I would never have expected or even remotely anticipated.  I didn't even have a curve at this time last year!  Just a few bumps.  It eats at me like you have no idea

TDix

GP ordered an EMG for my foot.  We'll see what that finds.  Going on antidepressants as well, which should help my mood and also my PE.  Wasn't familiar with Xiaflex, not surprised.  Felt generally bad for me that what is happening to me isn't common or familiar to most doctors.  He's going to get with Dr Wachs for information on what happened to me and wants to be in contact with Dr Yafi as well.  Seemed concerned for me.  Guess that is what you want from a GP.  I just want a Dr to take the reigns and fix me!

Pfract

Hey man... Chances are it won't happen, but one of the side effects of the anti depressants could be a priapism. Keep an eye out for that. Erection lasting for 4 hours or more straight, rush immediately to the hospital.  

Bubba dawg

The old anti depressants can cause sexual disfunction. The new ones like celexa are supposed to be better for sex. Most cause constipation. I would check out herbal anti depressants. I never had any luck with prescription anti depressants

TDix

Happy holidays to everyone here.  Even though we all struggle with this debilitating condition, I hope you all have a safe and enjoyable holiday with friends and loved ones.

Bubba dawg

TDix

Appt tomorrow at the Andrology dept at UCI with Dr Yafi.  Will update how it goes tomorrow

TDix

Getting scheduled for a full examination, ultrasound, measurements, induced erection, the whole works. Will update with how that goes.  Had a doctor from Canada with him, so yet another set of eyes on my issue.  Did not rule out more Xiaflex, but wants to see what he's dealing with

TDix

Scheduled for exam on 1/7/19.  Dr Yafi is young and very clinical.  Knew who I was since he consulted with Dr Wachs.  Sounds like my last injection punctured my vein, which he said was very easy to do.  If I continue with Xiaflex he will have to be very careful.  So I now have two uro's Seeing me.  One very personable and experienced, but maybe not as clinical.  The other very businesslike and technical.  I like having both approaches, as they are working together in this.

Bubba dawg

I have not been a member long but I wonder if anyone else has reported a vein being punctured during xiaflex injections? How long will that take to heal? Long term effects if any?

TDix

I'm living it bubba, so I'll let you know.  Over 3 months and still not right.  I believe the vein and possible nerve have healed but the results of a vein rupturing in my penis seems to have created some sort of collateral damage.  I'll find out in a little over a week

Bubba dawg

You doctor said it was easy to do. Referring to hitting a vein. Seems that we would have a lot of vein accident reports if it were easy. Just wanted to no if it is common or rare? I have not read of anyone else vein being hit. There just is no room for error when sticking a needle in a penis

TDix

I wish I knew.  Seems my last injection was just probably too aggressive.  The angle may have been wrong.  Not sure as it's all new to me.  Like I told my GP it's not like a knee

curved

Just adding my experience with Xiaflex here although I have posted it elsewhere.  4 rounds (8 shots) of Xiaflex over 6 months.  Started with a 40 degree bend downward and ended with just about straight.  These results would be the very best of what one could expect since average reduction in curvature is approx 30% (or 12 degrees in my case).  I was extremely diligent with modeling and even employed traction during the 6 month period.  I did suffer 3 hematomas and they were quite painful. Approximately 3 months after I finished my 6 month cycle of Xiaflex I started to notice a curve upward.  I am now approximately 18 months post Xiaflex and have a 35 degree bend upward.  I am not sure if the latest bend was caused by scarring from the Xiaflex injections, a trauma during sex or ESWT which I tried post Xiaflex to help with hourglassing.  At this point I have significant plaque and am considering an implant.  For whatever it is worth, I would say that if you can have intercourse and you and your partner are satisfied that skip the Xiaflex and there are definite risks (e.g. hematoma and additional scarring).  If you cant have intercourse then definitely consider it but only from a urologist that has been trained and approved for its administration.  Happy to answer any questions.
51 yrs old; diagnosed 3.5 yrs ago; 90 degree upward bend
But I had no ED
tried all pills, VED, traction, Xiaflex PRP, ESWT, H-100 & stem cells; IF diet. implant surgery with Dr. Eid 3/28/19
to correct deformity - 20 CM Titan 2cm RTE / 1 cm RTE

TDix

I have read your experience curved.  Lots of questions still on how I proceed forward.  At least I am getting a full examination on what's going on inside soon.  Then the question of how to proceed.  I definitely do not want to visit the ER again with an eggplant hanging between my legs

Bubba dawg

That is why it is called a disease. New plaques can form. I think mine is curving more upward than at one point during treatment. Maybe just a lifetime of on and off treatments

TDix

My apologies bubba, I've thought a lot about what Dr Yafi told me and I believe being full of anxiety I misinterpreted some of the things he said.  I believe he didn't say hitting a vein was really easy to do, rather it was fairly easy to do if you're not careful.  Like I said Dr Wachs was really aggressive on my last shot to try and get a lot of medicine into my largest piece of plaque.  I believe as a result he may not have been as careful as he should have been.  I saw the whole injection and he was directly in the plaque the whole shot.  He didn't reposition or go to another spot.  I've seen YouTube videos where other doctors talk about how Xiaflex can break down more than just plaque, so I'm not sure if that happened to my vein or not.  The fact I had massive hematomas the day prior suggests that the vein was probably compromised

TDix

Also wanted to update on my antidepressants.  I am currently on 20mg of Citalopram and it seems to have taken the edge off my depression.  I no longer sit and stew about my condition.  Yes it is still very much on my mind but I don't sulk in my house all day because of it.  Doesn't seem to have helped my PE much, so I will talk with the Dr about that.

kingprof

TDix, Great to hear that the medicine is helping you. As others have expressed, I too am so sorry you have had to deal with these "extra" problems. Peyronie's is bad enough on its own as we all here can attest. We don't need any complications on top of it from treatment attempts or any other thing. Best of luck going forward.
58 yrs old, 45 degree bend to the left, noticed Peyronie's first in April, 2018. Three rounds of Xiaflex.

Bubba dawg

You can stay in depression meds until you get your physical problems under straightened out. No pun intended . Good you found something that work for you. Help you get threw this. Anti depressant can cause sexual disfunction until you quit using them. The newer meds cause lesser problems. Also can cause constipation. You do what you got to do. Doctor can wean you off them later on.

TDix

Ultrasound this Monday.  Not looking forward to an induced erection, but it is what it is.  I will say that in the last two weeks I've noticed my curve is less pronounced all of a sudden.  Plaque still very much there, but the curve seems to have straightened a bit.  So weird.  Still have a dent, and will get precise measurements Monday, but it appears to no longer be a 30 degree curve.  Maybe 15-20 now

kingprof

That's promising! I go Monday to start my second round of Xiaflex.

Bubba dawg

It is strange that sometimes erections look straighter than other times. I downgraded mine to 80%. My even be 70% at times. One my side it is worse. Standing up it is better. On my back it is worse. Very frustrating. Still haven't made myself go get more injections yet. Just not having that much sex anyway. Masturbation just straining the pelvic area. Cut back on that to one time per week. Hope you get good news with the ultra sound tdix

TDix

Also want to say I had my nerve test on my foot.  Both Dr Yafi and the neurologist said it was not related to my vein rupture.  Nerves all look really good.  Going to get an MRI and physical therapy.  Seems I developed a habit of crossing my legs during all the issues in my groin, and that can cause a mild case of foot drop

Pfract

Hey, those are good news man!  8)

TDix

Thank pfract I will post how tomorrow goes....antidepressants finally kicked in last night for PE...had an amazing night with my wife.  Curve has straightened a bit and I lasted as long as I needed.  Things are looking better

Pfract

yeah, i heard they made a difference. Tramadol medication (for bruising) also helps with that. You can, and should seek out help with and andrologist for PE. Makes a ton of difference. And don't believe those online stories about lasting less than 10 minutes and that being okay. 20 minutes should be standard.... i risk to say, at a bare minimum. Of actually penetrative intercourse, not counting foreplay of any type.

TDix

OK guys, well turns out I have a 50 degree curve!  These antidepressants must've fooled me lately haha.  Anyways, trying to make light of my situation.  My scar tissue is extensive and calcified.  I have a large piece that widens and narrows all along the top, and a long cord of calcified plaque running down the left side.  I even have calcified plaque in between the corposa.  He said we could attempt Xiaflex again, but with the calcification he doubts it would do much.  Could do plication, but wants to get some of the scar tissue out, so looks like excision and grafting for me.  When my rupture occurred he thinks I may have fractured up at the tip of my penis, which blew open my scar tissue.  This could be why I have lumps around the base of my glans.  All of it is calcified.  Will be scheduled for surgery in March, as he wants to wait 6 months from my last Xiaflex injection.  Will keep everyone updated.

Bubba dawg

You are a good candidate for Surgery Tdix. Just fix it one and for all. Sorry for the bad news. Least you now know what your are up against. I got some calcification too. Did the doc say what causes Calcfication ?

TDix

For me it appears to be genetic

TDix

I am also participating in a study conducted by UCI in regards to gut bacteria and it's connection to Peyronie.  A person involved with the study came in after my ultrasound and asked if I'd like to participate (provide a stool sample)....I agreed.  Kind of interesting they are looking at that

Bubba dawg

I took 3 weeks of anti biotics ahead of surgery right before I got peyrones. My gut bacteria was messed up

kingprof

Xiaflex veterans and novices alike, just had my first shot of the second round yesterday. Wow, this one has left me much more bruised and swollen than the first go around. I don't think I ended up this bruised after two shots and modeling last time. Fortunately I have two days before the next one, but I don't see how I'm going to do the second one as I am now.  

TDix

Good luck to you kingprof....hoping all you get is the bruising and swelling

TDix

So it now has been made clear my journey with Xiaflex has come to an end.  I am too calcified for further injections.  I hope my experience at the very least presents others with valuable information to not only make their own decisions with regards to Xiaflex, but also opens up a dialog that they can present to their prospective urologists that perform the procedure.  I wouldn't wish what happened to me on any of you, and I hope others truly benefit from the treatment.  Just was not in the cards for me.  I will be opening another thread in the surgery section, as I am going forward with that option in March.  You can follow my next chapter in this roller coaster ride over there.  Good luck to all of you!