Stephens - Update 24th November 2010

Previous topic - Next topic

Stephens

Age at onset of Peyronies Disease / or I have had Peyronies Disease for X Years
Negative - congenital curvature approx 42degrees to left

Very First Symptoms
See above

My Peyronies Disease progression, Treatments (in order), Doctors, Psychological Stages, observable changes
See above

1 - Mid October 2009
Nesbit procedure (circumcision, de-glove, excess tunica cut out (Kelami allis-clamp technique) and subsequent defect sutured together with 'six month' absorbable sutures) carried out (previously uncircumcised).

2 - 27th December 2009
Very unsure of progress thus far.

The circumcision element has been without incident and took two weeks to get used to.
Early half-erections showed the corrected right-hand side was very 'tight' and felt shorter than the left. At that time I was 'getting rid' of erections whenever possible (I was getting nocturnal erections almost from the get go and didn't think I needed any more risk to the sutures). Technical outcome thus far would be considered a 'success' but I am unhappy with the cosmetic appearance. The original left-curve is evident which then curves back to the right at the site of the correction; the two sides are probably vaguely the same length now but the bidirectional curve is a result of the tightness at the area of correction. There is also a pronounced 'bump' at the site of the correction on the top side which is disconcerting and very visible. Probably more disconcerting than the curve appearance. The internal sutures can just be felt at the side but there is what feels like a sizable knot which is at the site of the bump on top. I don't know if this has been there from the beginning or it has migrated out to the surface or failed and 'popped out'. Difficult to explain - the guys I've been PMing here (mainly USA based) have been down the plication road rather than excision so it's difficult to gauge recovery as the procedures/recovery are a lot different really.

I am due my first follow up in a few weeks. At the moment I still have daily aching pain and occasionally require paracetamol. I am trying to remain positive. Elements of hope I am holding to are:

- In its current state it's better than pre-surgery in function at least. I don't like the look now but I didn't before either.
- The pre-operation words of my urologist were that this procedure would leave me "swollen and bruised for months and months" and it has been 10 weeks
- The constant aching and feel of sutures means I am still 'in recovery'
- If things slack off in a similar manner to the circumcision after the sutures fade away I should be a lot nearer the mark than I am now

3 - 20th July 2010

Major apologies for the disappearing act everyone.

Shortly after the last update (I suppose at the beginning of 2010) I became extremely depressed and managed to get to my doctor before wandering off in front of a train. I began 20mg per day of 'Citalopram' which is a run of the mill antidepressant. For a hazy week in March (I think!) I also had some prescribed downers in order to get some hard-to-come-by sleep. Uppers for the day - downers for the night. Unsustainable but kept me alive and functioning. I was determined not to miss any work whatsoever and this became my focus. No work was missed. I didn't go back for anymore sleeping pills and towards the end of May I was beginning to get more positive and was determined to kick the Citalopram; which I did. I've never liked the idea of taking something on a permanent basis anyway. I had been missing so many days I just decided to stop and informed my doctor of such. She was happy with the outcome (an alive patient lol) and gave me the green light to bin them off now they'd done their job.

Guys - if depression strikes and 'the only logical choice' is suicide then get to your doctor and get something until your ideas are straight (even if you penis isn't  ;D)

Back to the issue in hand.

Just to recap I had the Nesbit Procedure whereby an actual ellipse is removed. Same deal as the 'plication' really but possibly more permanence as all sutures used are dissolvable; the scarring holds the correction. What I wasn't really expecting was the nature of the corrected penis. Actually only one ellipse had been taken from the point of maximum curvature (I had initially thought two for some reason). The penis curve started off gentle and then became more curved as it went along - the corrective 'bite' was taken from opposite the point of most curve about 2/3 of the way along. That is to say the first 2/3 of the penis is the same as it ever was and from the corrected point onwards is the correction.

The depression had been triggered partly because I felt I had been robbed (legitimately) of having the same 'growing up' experiences of my mates and partly because I had envisioned an arrow-like penis ready for action after the operation. The former is something I just have to deal with and latter possibly misses the mark regarding targeted surgical outcomes. Having followed up with my operating urologist and two others since the summary of their responses are as follows:

Operating Uro
Happy with the result and ready for action, just need to get out there!

Second Uro
Correction OK

Third Uro
Correction fine for penetrative sex, remaining issues are psychological. "I would do anything in my power to prevent you from having any further operations as it's simply not required."

During the depressive period (still have the odd flutter but who doesn't) I began to obsess and go over all the different options/operations/experiences of others etc. and trapped myself in a loop. I don't know if the Nesbit/plication was the optimal for me but the medical opinion is now that I am equipped for the job whereas I wasn't really before. The corrected penis from some angles does look very straight and some others the 'S' is hugely prominent - I am considering getting one of those 'mould your own penis' kits(!!!) so I can have a real look at what I have now to satisfy my curiosity. As a penetrative virgin closer to thirty than twenty I have to admit I would be still be shitting bricks over this if I had a Peter North penis transplant let alone one that is... possibly a one-off. There is aching evident quite regularly but it's faded into being a 'background noise' now and the Second Uro (as above) put the actual, full, this is it recovery time at two years.

I'm going to leave it here before the post loses focus. More updates in time. PM's always welcome!!

4 - 24th November 2010

Apologies for another disappearing act. I've been trying to stay focussed rather than getting caught up in 'loops' reading the same things over and over again.

Well, about 13 months in now. The healing (actual Nesbit - one ellipse taken at point of max. curvature) has done pretty much all the healing it's going to do. Urination while flaccid no prob, can obtain and maintain (hard!!) erection no prob, ejaculation etc. no prob, circumcision (as part of procedure) no prob. I am still having fairly major psychological episodes. If you've read this from the top you'll know I had a spell on the anti-depressants / sleeping pills. After that lovely upper/downer combo I have been toughing it out since summer with no medication and I do not want anymore. If it really comes down to the crunch I will make another appointment and get some happy pills but I really do not want to partake in behaviour changing drugs again although they did keep me out of the graveyard at the time I will admit. And may do again. A few weeks of feeling positive followed by a few weeks of feeling negative (clinically so) is the pattern really. Been toughing it out and havn't taken any time off work (besides booked holidays). I work with a good bunch so work is actually a relief apart from the job itself can grate  ;D

In the period since the last update I have seen another urologist for his thoughts. The chap was very upbeat and took a positive 'go forth' stance. I am seriously considering just going to a lady of the night just to get the whole F^@$!ng thing over and done with and then I'll know where I stand. In my mind my erect penis is still very odd (original curvature is present up to the point of correction, at which point it then curves back the other way. At the point of correction there is also prominent (prominent to me?) bulging of the erectile material as there is 'too much of it' at that point after it's been shortened) but I don't actually know whether it's well within usable range, on the edge or outside?

In my stronger moments I think 'man the F~@< up, it's been done and the professionals say the tool can now be used'. In my more contemplative moments I cannot see past the curve two ways and bulging point. At this stage I usually go online and look at dildo's which have bumps on to try and gauge whether mine is 'in range' or not  ??? :D

My old man (and mother) know the score and my old man has kindly volunteered to fly us away to some foreign climes for some $action  :o I appreciate the sentiment but I think if I do this I will go my own way with it and get involved in the next ridiculous party that looks like it would end in a whorehouse!! I would prefer not to go down this route though as I will not be able to follow Richard Gere's lead and don't really want to contribute to someone else's plight... but I may have to for my own aid. Thoughts over PM always welcome!