Newly diagnosed with peyronnies

Previous topic - Next topic

JohnR

50 yr old in Alabama, USA.

Hey ya'll, my first post ever. I just waned to share my story of this mess so far.

I began noticing pain during erections after I had the flu back in Jan. By late feb, I was noticing an increase in my normal lifelong left curve along with the pain. I thought I'd rolled over on an erection in my sleep and injured myself. It was all I could come up with to explain it.

By late March, it was affecting my sex life with my wife. By this time, I was nearing 70* left curvature.  I was having a hard time maintaining an erection during sex and sensitivity was decreasing. So, I went to see my family Dr. but he just smirked and laughed it off...

Knowing something was wrong, I went to a friends recommended urologist who did a 3 min flaccid examination and declared it Peyronnies and put me on Pentoxifylline. I wasn't happy with him or the few minutes he took with me.

So, I started researching and found Dr. Brian Christine in Birmingham who is a Sexual heath expert, that treats all types of ED, and male issues. 6 weeks of Pentox went by before my appointment. The Pentox did some good. I was back to 40* when I finally got in to see him last Tuesday.

Well... the visit didn't go well. Not really Dr or his staffs fault but I was unprepared for being exposed to females. It's been 28 yrs since I've been naked around any female but my wife... I became very agitated and had a panic attack when the cute blonde came in to do the ultrasound.. She was very professional though and helped me by telling some stories of other, much worse things she had to do. I was shaking at this point...  Then I met Dr Christine. He and I talked for about 15 min and I told the whole story and he examined me in a flaccid state. I was fairly calm at this point but then it got worse with the injection to inflate my erection for examination... ok, that stung DAMMIT!  20 min afterwards and nothing had happened. Every time a female would come in to check on me, I got worse... ended up hurting some feelings...

So Dr Christine came back in and managed to calm me down enough so that I finally got partially erect and he did a thorough examination. The ultrasound didn't reveal any hard plaque but there's thickening of the tendon that's pulling me left.

He said we could be conservative and just leave it alone for a while but he'd prefer to start treatments now. He suggested starting Xiaflex injections and told me about the process. After we talked he asked me about what condition my erection was and if it had gone down. It had some so I told him yes and he didn't give me the injection to deflate it. Soon after, I left.

So I get 30 min away in heavy 5:00 traffic and I guess I calmed down enough for the inflate shot to take full effect. I mean intense erection... I gave them a call and told him. He insisted I immediately come back for the deflat shot so I wouldn't damage anything. I did so. Of course when ANOTHER FEMALE came in to do it, I flipped again and ran her out of the room... sorry nurse... I didn't mean to say that so loud...

So Dr Christine came back in and gave it to me and it worked within 10 min. By this time, I was so wiped out I just went and sat in the parking lot for 45 min.
Rough day...

So the question is, do I do it or not? I'm going to get an anxiety med from my family Dr before I go back for sure but some of the posts and stories on here are frightening to say the least. ...

Anyway, that's where I am and I just wanted to share...
50 year old, onset in Feb. '18, diagnosed in Mar '18, 4 rounds of Xiaflex completed, little improvement, mentally overwhelmed...ED issues, major anxiety issues now.

betterbend

My doctors office is a lot of females also.  My first time it took 3 injection to get a good erection and 2 to get it down.  The second time I got a larger dose so it only took one shot, but I needed the psuedophedrine to get it back down again, thankfully only one.  As far as woman working, they are professionals, and they do this all day long, they ain't seeing anything when you are there they have not seen hundreds of times...

I guess I am wondering about Xiaflex from a thickening tendon.  If you want to be more conservative ask him about traction only first.  I don't know if it would stretch the tendon and solve your problem.  Tough decisions, but you don't have to rush to make it.  XIaflex is a bigger decision.  Also find out if your insurance will even cover that.  I know one of the criteria for approval on my insurance was a palpable plaque.  
55 - Onset May 2017.  38 degree bend up.  Failed Xiaflex treatment.  Still functional so I decided to stop treatments.  Only take 400mg Co-Q10 and occasionally use Restorex

TonySa

Is the thickening tendon due to plaque?  
PxD 2 yrs 9/16.  Failed all treatment. 9/11/18: excision, grafting & implant Dr Karpman MtnView Ca, AMS CX 18cm + 3-1cm RTEs.
Pump failed.  2/11/20 Dr Karpman installed Titan 22cm +1cm RTE.

JohnR

50 year old, onset in Feb. '18, diagnosed in Mar '18, 4 rounds of Xiaflex completed, little improvement, mentally overwhelmed...ED issues, major anxiety issues now.

TonySa

Hadn't heard of that before.  Is the tendon in the penis?  Good news no calcification!
PxD 2 yrs 9/16.  Failed all treatment. 9/11/18: excision, grafting & implant Dr Karpman MtnView Ca, AMS CX 18cm + 3-1cm RTEs.

JohnR

My terminology could very well be wrong. On the top side of my penis, it feels like a long tendon that's thicker from halfway to the base. It's exacerbated the natural curve and I guessing it's the plaque my Dr referred to.

TonySa

I see.  Sounds like a chord shaped plaque, makes sense xiaflex could help.