My questions about HEAT therapy. Is it harmful ?

Previous topic - Next topic

diehardpatriot

So from the research I've done. Heat increases inflammation in ACUTE injuries. Ice decreases. In chronic injuries, it's known to heat BEFORE exercise, ice AFTER. Since "Peyronie's" is about scar tissue already there, we'll say it's a chronic injury. So I get why hearing is good. But people hear heat before and after reaction or Ved. Technically aren't these physical therapies exercise? So won't heat after these therapy sessions increase inflammation ? Also, what about people who have pre Peyronie's (an injury, but no palpable plaque or bend yet, just pain) ? Is just ice better?  
Penis injury in late 2017. A lump formed at injury site that caused no deformity, just pain and a palpable lump. Pain is improving through proper rest and use, diet, and mindfulness. I am always learning and looking to share things that have helped.

TonySa

One study shows improvement w twice weekly heat therapy.
PxD 2 yrs 9/16.  Failed all treatment. 9/11/18: excision, grafting & implant Dr Karpman MtnView Ca, AMS CX 18cm + 3-1cm RTEs.
Pump failed.  2/11/20 Dr Karpman installed Titan 22cm +1cm RTE.

diehardpatriot

Interesting. But can anyone explain how it helps Peyronie's if lots of us have inflammation? Especially those in the acute phase? Doesn't heat make inflammation worse?
Penis injury in late 2017. A lump formed at injury site that caused no deformity, just pain and a palpable lump. Pain is improving through proper rest and use, diet, and mindfulness. I am always learning and looking to share things that have helped.

TonySa

The article explains why they think it works...softening plaque I believe.
PxD 2 yrs 9/16.  Failed all treatment. 9/11/18: excision, grafting & implant Dr Karpman MtnView Ca, AMS CX 18cm + 3-1cm RTEs.

IHPD

Cold baths/cold showers/pouring cold water on my Johnson is significantly helps bring the scar inflammation down. It makes it easier to massage, stretch very carefully, and even piss (normally, the stream is all over the place).

Heat is only good once the infamation is addressed in my opinion. I've experienced much better results with using ice as opposed to heat.  

rich68

I think I saw an article which said that heat is good providing the temperature is not too high.

pey ron

If your skin gets pinched in such a way that you get exposed to significantly more heat where the skin folds, you'll get some white sores because of tissue necrosis. They will heal within 2-3 weeks, but the new skin that will replace them will be in a slightly different color from the rest. I am speaking from my personal experience.
Please go to PROFILE then FORUM PROFILE to replace this signature line text with your profile info such as
age, date of onset, symptoms, treatments tried,
relationship status, etc
** You will waste less time and get better answers **

Ben.B

I want to revisit this post since I don't think we've had an adequate answer yet. There's a lot of claims that heat helps. However, as mentioned by OP, doesn't heat cause more inflammation? In that case, would using heat while still in the ACUTE phase be counterproductive? If scar tissue formation is caused by inflammation, wouldn't heat during this stage make it worse?

TonySa

Universally, heat has been used to treat inflammation.  Also, at least one medical study demonstrated Peyronies improvement If done twice a week for 20 minutes w infrared.  "Hot hands" is a more accessible option.

Gabriel

Hi Ben,

Just my opinion: I'm going through a never-ending acute phase, and I can quite positively assert that heat is not doing any harm (if not overused of course), but does seem to do some good.

There are many, many mysterious parameters in this bloody disease, but I do think that when it comes to inflammation, your personal feelings and perceptions are quite accurate and trustworthy!
- 35 yo, Peyronies Disease with chronic pain, general hourglassing with girth and length loss since 09/01/17.
- Pain almost cured with Hirudoid cream and diet/lifestyle changes (see my topics on this); deformity still here, but partly reduced with traction + VED.

Ben.B

Thanks foe the quick reply Tsanchez and Gabriel.

Tsanchez, are those studies usually done during acute or chronic stages? I'm currently only 1.5 months since my first symptom and havebeen using the hot hands method for 2 days though is curently putting it on hold after being concerned by this. Will read up more on inflammation then likely resume.

Gabriel, could you illustrate more on your personal experiences in using heat and why you said it seems to do some good? Also, how long do you use heat each day?

Lastly, does heat have to be used in tandem with VED or stretching in order to be of use? Thanks all.

TonySa

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/16019862/

All treatments are considered to have better outcomes when adding physical therapy of hand modeling, traction and/or VED

Ben.B

So I've kept reading about heat and inflammation, and pretty much all the searches have led to the conclusion that heat will make inflammation worse since it causes more blood to flow into the area, while ice will actually alleviate it by cooling it down. FYI, these searches weren't Peyronie's-specific but is pretty much just trying to find out the relationship between heat & ice, and inflammation.

Anyway, so shouldn't it be pretty much: use ice during acute phase to stop/slow down inflammation and use heat during the chronic phase to have blood flow into the plaque and make it more malleable? Thoughts on this?

Gabriel

Hi Ben,

Well, in theory, I totally agree with your idea. In practical terms, I must say that for me at least heat seems to do some good: I use it always with traction (which is already by itself good for decreasing inflammation and pain), in a moderate way (I always put a piece of cloth between the handwarmer and my penis, never more than 2 hours a day, and if it becomes too hot I immediatly remove the stuff), and I'm 100% positive it helps reducing the flaccid pain (I saw the difference when I began adding the handwarmers to my traction routine).

However, as always when it comes to Peyronie, only your personal and empirical experience matters...
- 35 yo, Peyronies Disease with chronic pain, general hourglassing with girth and length loss since 09/01/17.
- Pain almost cured with Hirudoid cream and diet/lifestyle changes (see my topics on this); deformity still here, but partly reduced with traction + VED.

swiss

I would like to add some observations to this. Heat in the initial phases of Peyronie's disease, like when I had hard flaccid and persistent pain + plaques helped me.

However, now that I am out of the acute stage I decided to reintroduce heat as a long-term application. I then masturbated and my dick was sore. It had not been sore for months and I had erections that were not as hard. This seems temporary. I think maybe a little heat before traction would be okay but 8+ hours could definitely be harmful and produce or reintroduce inflammation. Probably because you are cooking the dick basically and maybe causing tissue damage as there is no way to regulate the heat pack and it has gotten what seems like TOO HOT on occasion.

Don't cook your dicks.  

Ronnin

Quote from: pey ron on March 29, 2018, 08:31:42 PM
If your skin gets pinched in such a way that you get exposed to significantly more heat where the skin folds, you'll get some white sores because of tissue necrosis. They will heal within 2-3 weeks, but the new skin that will replace them will be in a slightly different color from the rest. I am speaking from my personal experience.
I have the same . That is not dissise right ? Only change in color of skin , I am worried that I have some skin condition on top of this . I use heat therapy for a while  
Please go to PROFILE then FORUM PROFILE to replace this signature line text with your profile info such as
age, date of onset, symptoms, treatments tried,
relationship status, etc
** You will waste less time and get better answers **

RedWilly

From my understanding collegen breaks down at a certain temp slightly above body temperature. So maybe it helps breaks down some of the bad collegen and allows for easier remodeling?

That's just my best guess.