PROSTATE, BLADDER & KIDNEY related

Previous topic - Next topic

newguy

I checked out the peyroniescure.net site today and noticed that the lengthy IN-1130 (AGE-BREAKER) article has given way to a 'new edition' going into significant detail about prostate cancer and peyronie's. 5 pages of info and quite enlightening.

He also added brief new on the last page of the update, stating that he wrote to the researchers of the IN-1130 study but didn't hear back, and also a musing about starting a non profit foundation for peyronie's.

Willsandco

My partner has PR which doesnt appear to cause either of us much of a problem. But he has recently been experiencing blood in his urine.  He is having the usual tests via GP for prostrate/urinary problems but I just wondered if it is a medical complaint which may have something to do with PR.  could the bleeding be coming from inside the penis - is it part of the condition?  Difficult really for us ladies....  anyone got any suggestions/advice while we await blood test results?

Skjaldborg

He's not a runner is he? Distance runners (and cyclists) can occasionally experience blood in the urine after long runs due to the bladder being jostled. I have had this myself and it is distressing but harmless. Not emptying the bladder completely before exercise and proper hydration can prevent it.

As far as I know, blood in the urine is not a symptom of Peyronie's disease. This is because the tunica (the part of the penis which becomes scarred and causes curvature with Peyronie's disease) is completely unconnected with the urinary tract. There are a number of conditions which can cause blood in the urine, some serious some not. The doctor will be able to shed light on it.

-Skjaldborg

Willsandco

Hello.

Thanks so much for your prompt reply.  It is very reassuring.  We will await the blood test.  Good to know you guys are around.

Joycie

crashbandit

Is he on any medications? I know when I hung around the hairloss forum for awhile, some of the guys on propecia and other hairloss oral treatments would have this problem.

What's PR? Prostate something?

Cheers

George999

Blood in the urine is usually not something to be worried about, but it *always* needs to be investigated because is can be either something that can become serious (like a low level urinary tract infection) or something that is serious (like a urinary tract cancer, kidney, bladder, or even prostate).  So it is probably nothing, but make sure it gets thoroughly checked out.  It is certainly *not* related to Peyronie's disease directly, although Peyronie's disease is an inflammatory syndrome and the same sort of inflammatory syndrome can affect the urinary tract, especially the urethra and cause it to bleed.  So indirectly, yes, indirectly it can be related to Peyronie's, but *not* caused by Peyronie's.  - George

jackisback

Lately I've had a pain in my bladder. I've gone to Carenow a few times for antibiotics, but in a few days I'll have to see my usual doctor if this isn't resolved quickly. I have ZERO other symptoms. No pain when I urinate, no pain on touching any part of my body, no discharges from urination, and yet I have tested negative in all the urine tests I have taken (for both UTI and STDs).

Right now the only symptom is that my bladder feels very sensitive to any pressure and I quickly feel I must urgently urinate, but then often don't have to urinate very much.

Any ideas from anyone what this may be? Some kind of prostate issue? I'm getting really worried, because I absolutely don't want another chronic condition in my life, and I'm also worried this may be difficult to diagnose, requiring lots of strange tests (hoping to god i don't have to have anything stuck up my pee-hole).

jackp

jackisback

Unfortunately there is no way to tell exactly what the problem is without a complete urodymanic check up.

I had it done at Vanderbilt about 4 weeks ago. I have both BPH and a spastic bladder. With the testing Dr. Milam was able to avoid surgery and prescribe a medicine that would work for me without causing problems with my erratic heart beat.

One thing you have to put your modesty aside. When done by a properly trained nurse there is some discomfort but no pain. I will not describe the procedure here but there is no way to avoid going up your urethra to the bladder.

Jackp
http://jackp-penileimplant.blogspot.com/

George999

I have had my bladder scoped *many* times.  I have to admit that it is not one of my favorite things about a doctors visit.  But it is, if anything, less hassle these days than a colonoscopy.  In fact I would do it *any* day rather than a colonoscopy *AND* I *never* miss my colonoscopies either.  These are the kinds of things that *if* you do them, they will save you a whole lot more pain later on.  Those who are wimps forgo these opportunities and most of them if not all eventually pay the price for that and *often* it costs them their very lives.  I know too many people who just couldn't handle the discomfort of colonoscopies and now they don't have to worry about that any more because they are already dead from colon cancer.  I had my bladder scoped almost 50 years ago and have had it done multiple times up to now.  Fifty years ago it was traumatic.  The scope was *big* and inflexible.  A steel stick and it felt like it.  Now they use this tiny little flexible tube that you really don't even feel other than a little discomfort when they go through the sphincter.  Believe me, its a piece of cake and what the doc learns from doing it can turn out to save you a LOT of pain.

On the other hand some conditions can be diagnosed from a cytology test done on a urine sample.  But in any case you *should* have this checked out by a qualified urologist and if the urologists feels you need to be scoped, don't be a wimp.  Get it done and get it over with and the sooner you know what is going on and get appropriate treatment, the better off you will be.  - George

goodluck

I once has a bladder infection that was treated with antibiotics.  It went on for weeks and several different meds includign Cipro. it slowly improved but never totally went away.

I finally cured it by taking the herb olive leaf and a few sessions of acupuncture.

At the time I took a cheap ascobic acid for Vit C and it would contribute to my bladder discomfort.  The lesson I learned from this is,
make sure your Vit C is buffered.  Of cource pure cranberry juice is good.  Cut it with water as it is very bitter.

Cut out all sugar as  infections thrive on sugar.

None of this your MD will tell you.

Good Luck

jackisback

Thanks Jack and George. I have to admit, that I don't know what you're talking about when you say it's not painful. I once awoke from surgery, and I couldn't pee due to the painkillers. Getting catheterized was possibly the most painful experience I have ever had (when she pulled it out was the most excruciating, painful feeling). Now maybe that's due to something that was abrasive and made the interior more sensitive from when I had a cath in during the surgery, or maybe it's because she didn't have time to numb me, because my bladder was at dangerous capacity, and she had to jam that thing down there. I'd like to think so, because I just saw a GP and basically all she could tell me was that it's time to see a urologist (already knew that). And if that doesn't show anything, I'll be off to the gastro to get a colonoscopy, so looks like I'm in for a fun few weeks!

Thanks goodluck. I don't have a bladder infection. Acupuncture is not a bad idea though, but probably not gonna do the trick

George999

Uro scoping is a WHOLE different thing these days from catheterization.  I have experience both on multiple occasions and I would take the scope procedure any day.  Its VERY small size compared to catheter AND they lube you up and numb you first and you almost feel nothing except a little tickling sensation.  Other thing is because of how its designed the doc can see EXACTLY what the business end is doing, just like with a colonoscopy whereas cath procedure is blind.  - George

jackisback

Unfortunately, my understanding is that I'll be asked to empty my bladder naturally, and then they'll stick a catheter in there to see how much urine isn't being correctly excreted from my bladder, so it looks like I'm in for the bad one. Will let you know how it goes.

Old Man

jackisback:

Just read your post about getting the cath first and then the scope. As George says, neither is all that bad if you can manage to relax your muscles when the doc/PA is doing the procedure.

After my prostate cancer surgery, I had to have 10 bladder neck dilations to relieve the urine backup due to edema of the bladder neck. Took that many to stretch the opening enough for urine to pass through freely. Now I have a very good pressure and streams with no difficulty, etc.

The PA taught me a trick about getting a cath job. He said to to take a deep breath, hold my breath when the cath starts in, then blow it all out and hold it out until the catheter slides on into the bladder. Very little, if any pain, is felt while holding ones breath, etc. Give it a try.

Old Man
Age 92. Peyronies Disease at age 24, Peyronies Disease after
stage four radical prostatectomy in 1995, Heart surgery 2004 with three bypasses/three stents.
Three more stents in 2016. Hiatal hernia surgery 2017 with 1/3 stomach reduction. Many other surgeries too.

jackisback

Thanks Old Man,

You're saying to hold my breath, and then once the catheter makes contact with the penis to blow it all out and not inhale? Interesting, because the (female) GP I saw told me she'd worked in ERs, and told me to hold it the whole time, and puff my cheeks as much as I could. Her explanation was that this would force all the tension to my face, leaving no room for my penis to tense up, and the tube to slide in easier.

I called a different uro than that which I was referred to, because--although I know you can't trust everything on the internet--the reviews for the guy I was referred to were the worst I've ever seen for a doctor. Also, a few years ago when I saw a few uros for Peyronie's, I do remember the ones at this location seeming to be the least sympathetic or interested. Unfortunately, the appointment I just scheduled today is for two weeks from today, and I don't think I can or should wait that long.

Old Man

jackisback:

OK, the theory that I was told about the breathing effect was by a Navy doctor way back in the 1970s. He said that most nerves in the body do not react to pain until the breathing cycle is exhaled, etc.

So, he taught me to draw in a deep breath and hold it until whatever procedure was being done at the moment (not to hold too long of course). Then as the procedure starts, exhale and then hold it again. Works for me on most all procedures where pain is involved. I even get sutures put in that way to stay away from the pain killer needles which cause more pain when they come back to life, etc.

This is just my theory and method of controlling the minor pain of simple procedures.

Old Man
stage four radical prostatectomy in 1995, Heart surgery 2004 with three bypasses/three stents.
Three more stents in 2016. Hiatal hernia surgery 2017 with 1/3 stomach reduction. Many other surgeries too.

Fred22

I was diagnosed with T1c, Gleason 6 prostate cancer back in April. After much research and discussion, etc. I decided on a surgeon who will perform the da Vinci robotic prostatectomy tomorrow at 1:00 PM. He's done around 800 of the procedures and does 5 a week. He and one of his partners in the urology group do the surgery as a team. Today I'm on an all liquid diet, 2 bottles of magnesium citrate (which has started to work!), chicken broth, apple juice, water, etc. then after midnight tonight nothing...not even water. The nurse said I could take my daily meds in the morning with a small sip of water. I would appreciate your thoughts and prayers (if you are so inclined) and any advice anyone has to offer.  

Old Man

Fred:

OK man, our thoughts and prayers are with you! My prostate cancer was done the retropubic way back in April 1995. Had the usual complications afterwards, but today my PSA score still remains 0.0.

Good luck to you and I am sure that you will have a very nice recovery. According to many guys in my cancer support group in my hometown, recovery is much better than the "old fashioned" way of open surgery like I had.

Keep us up to date on how things work out for you in recovery. Above all, remember that we are pulling for a nice speedy recovery for you!!

Best regards, Old Man

Fred22

Quote from: Old Man on September 21, 2011, 03:59:17 PM
Fred:

OK man, our thoughts and prayers are with you! My prostate cancer was done the retropubic way back in April 1995. Had the usual complications afterwards, but today my PSA score still remains 0.0.

Good luck to you and I am sure that you will have a very nice recovery. According to many guys in my cancer support group in my hometown, recovery is much better than the "old fashioned" way of open surgery like I had.

Keep us up to date on how things work out for you in recovery. Above all, remember that we are pulling for a nice speedy recovery for you!!

Best regards, Old Man

Thanks, Old Man...Your support means a lot.

jackp

Fred

Here is hoping and praying for you to have a speedy recovery. Will pray for you, your family and the doctors.

Jack

fubar

Fred

God bless you and maintain your happy place.This may sound crazy but do not let them clamp your penis during surgery.I have read that they do that, do not know if it is true.

Fed  you have been through the mill,  Hugh? No worries brother we are here for you! Put on your armour,  protect and know you have friends here . I know sometimes I feel this journey is to much but as days go on I know their is much more to it than me.

Brother you will defeat this and many more! Fight. I know you have it in you ,I have heard it In your voice.Knowing you will conquer this bundle of turns. You are a man among men.Your honest post and fighting for your sanity through your struggle is most commendable. Resembles leadership at its best.

P.s.  eigther the erection gets in the way or distract those giving surgery I suppose.

Fubar

jackisback

I have seen a urologist, and been diagnosed with Prostatitis, based only on the fact that my prostate is inflamed and tender for someone my age. I will be getting a catscan soon. I kind of think it's strange that I've been handed this diagnosis just based on this criteria, esp since the doctor said it didn't have anything to do with the pain in my bladder, and she didn't know what that was. (I chose female because it was the soonest, but I cant imagine why any straight male would prefer a man's finger up his ass to a woman's).

I don't admit this often (and I forgot to mention this to her), but I sometimes have a nervous bladder when peeing in a location where the stream is audible (ie the bathroom doesn't have music or ventilation drowning the noise) or there is otherwise pressure to go. One day shortly before my symptoms I did something I know I shouldn't do--I *pushed* to try to pee at work. I believe that the strange urine streams I've had as a result of my shy bladder have contributed to my issue, and I've read some things online which support this (that improperly released urine could fall into other sections where they shouldn't be and cause bacteria).

I also would not be surprised if my prostate is permanently enlarged and soft. I took Propecia from age 18 - 21, and stopped when I started seeing Peyronie's symptoms and sexual dysfunction for fear that this could be a contributing factor. I am now 25. The active drug in Propecia (Finasteride) is a prostate medication. The side effect of retaining hair was noted, and is the reason the drug was later released at a lower dosage under the name Propecia. There are plenty of absolute horror stories on the web about Propecia's sexual side effects. I do not think people as young as 18 should be taking such a drug, and I find it difficult to dismiss the idea that it may have played a role in my Peyronie's and/or my current prostate status.

jackisback

PS: she said I can't have sex for two weeks...anyone know why this is?

I've had too little sex in my life already with the Peyronie's that held me back. I don't like being held back now.

jackp

jackisback

No sex for two weeks.  ???

I have had prostatits for more years than you are old. Every urologist I ever went to prescribed all the sex you can get. I told one doctor to write me a prescription because my wife would not believe me. He laughed and said that was my department.

I had my regular prostate ultra sound and DRE yesterday and my prostate is in good health. The way I keep it in good health is follow then instructions of my urologist in the mid 1990's. Take Saw Palmetto every day and drink a glass of Cranberry Juice every day. It takes about 2-3 months to feel the effects of Saw Palmetto do don't just try it a few days and quit. The prescription prostate meds were kicking my butt. After 2 months on Saw Palmetto I threw it in the trash and refuse to take it again.

The more sex you can have the better it cleans out your plumbing.

My 2 cents.

Jackp

crashbandit

There are prostate formula in the supplement section of any pharmasist or walmart that are great. I would get these prostate formula brands over the straight saw palmetto. Do you agree jackp? Make sure the saw palmetto that is standardized 85-95% fatty acid, that's the good stuff.

I can really feel this stuff (the prostate formula) working very quickly and does it ever ramp up my sex drive. How is that good for an enlarged prostate I wonder?
Cheers

jackp

I did try some of the prostate formula products available even the name brand at GNC.

For me the Saw Palmetto with zinc and pumpkin seed oil from Sam's works even better than the name brand stuff.

Yesterday I was at my local urologist for my follow up ultra sound for kidney and bladder stones and DRE. No stones and my prostate feels normal.

Today I had a follow up email from Dr. Milam about my Urodynamic testing five weeks ago. I went with all the symptoms I had in the mid 1990's when I had two TURP's. The enablex is working great. My biggest problem is bladder overactivity. He also said that a reTURP may not be in my future. That is great I was dreading having to go through one again especially now that I have an implant.

Jackp

jackisback

Very interesting comment about the sex, jackp. I'll look into the supplements, although I'm a little scared to take Saw Palmetto as it's something people take to avoid hairloss too. And the drugs that effect hair/prostate (like Propecia/Avodart/Finasteride), I am reflexively adverse to.

I hate to be playing "google doctor" here about something I know little about, but I have to wonder what she was talking about with the no sex part. She also said no exercise for two weeks, and I just think it's so strange that she's given me this diagnosis based solely on my age and prostate size. And then she said that she didn't even know what was causing the pain in my bladder!....on Saturday I will get a catscan, so that is supposed to tell me something (i'm not really sure exactly what).

To be quite honest: I'm feeling right now like the only thing that will help diagnose me is the thing I'm terrified of: a scope/camera or a catheter in my urethra! I was literally shaking when I had to make my appointment at this thought, but I've been sick for a month and want to be normal. Also, I'm thinking that maybe the reason it was so painful for me the time I had a catheter was that there wasn't enough time to numb me up properly and it was without anesthetic.

I still have an appointment for this coming Tuesday at a major hospital/facility in my city....I'm wondering if I should keep the appointment and see this guy for a second opinion....I can wait until I get the catscan, but scheduling a new appointment will take some time.

One other strange thing: my bladder was slowly feeling better, and on Monday at my appt I thought it was almost to no pain, but ever since then when I started taking more antibiotics again (Cipro) it's hurting more...

One last question for everybody: on the internet I've read that massaging the prostate can help, because it releases fluids or something. Anyone have experience with this? I know there are some sex toys made for this purpose for pleasure, and they are small enough to not terrify heterosexuals....maybe I should consider this...

Fred22

Had the surgery as planned on Thursday, September 22.  I had the robotic assisted prostatectomy and the surgery went smoothly, the prostate came out easily and I went infor my post-op review on Friday, October 30.  All the news so far is good...all negative margins, no lymph node or kidney involvement. IOW, as far as they can tell from examination of the removed prostate, I'm cancer free.  Fubar, there is no peninle clamping during the procedure.  Don't know where that bit of misinformation came from.  Could be that before the robotic surgery was used this may have been done...don't know.  As far as I can tell it hasn't made my Peyronie's any worse.  Actually it's less painful right now, as I have no erections and probably won'rt for some time, if ever, but if I have to choose between sex and dying from cancer I'll choose the former.  I have had some strange problems.  Since the surgery I've only had a "normal" urination once or twice.  Of course, I'm now really incontinent and wearing Depends....my bladder stays pretty much drained.  Last night I got up once and actually got a little stream going.  This happened also a few days after surgery.  I've called the doc about this but haven't heard from him today.  I've always heard that it's much easier to pee after having a foley cath in for a good length of time, but that hasn't been the case with me.  Maybe Old Man has some ideas as he has counseled many cancer patients.  Just wanted to share my update and the good news....Fred

KAC

THanks for the update.  I hope your healing goes well.  You sound like you're taking it all in stride.  

Old Man

Fred:

OK, you mentioned wearing the Foley cath after prostate surgery. I guess that my experience after a retro prostate surgery may be a world record. I wore one for for 32 days after my regular surgery in April 1995. In those days, robotic surgery was a figment of some doctor's imagination, but it did come about and has been quite successful.

Now, to explain a bit more about the after effects with ones urination once the cath is removed. On the day (after the 32 days) of removal in the doctors office,  my urine would just pour out with absolutely no control. This required changing the underwear type Depends several times a day. It took about 10 days for my bladder to regain somewhat of control again. However, after 16 plus years, I still "leak" a small bit known as stress incontinence. It is not bothersome as a small Depends pad takes care of it and I only use one per day.

Hope the above help anyone considering prostate cancer surgery whether or not it is robotic or retropubic method.

Old Man

Fred22

Quote from: Old Man on October 04, 2011, 11:33:53 PM
Fred:

OK, you mentioned wearing the Foley cath after prostate surgery. I guess that my experience after a retro prostate surgery may be a world record. I wore one for for 32 days after my regular surgery in April 1995. In those days, robotic surgery was a figment of some doctor's imagination, but it did come about and has been quite successful.

Now, to explain a bit more about the after effects with ones urination once the cath is removed. On the day (after the 32 days) of removal in the doctors office,  my urine would just pour out with absolutely no control. This required changing the underwear type Depends several times a day. It took about 10 days for my bladder to regain somewhat of control again. However, after 16 plus years, I still "leak" a small bit known as stress incontinence. It is not bothersome as a small Depends pad takes care of it and I only use one per day.

Hope the above help anyone considering prostate cancer surgery whether or not it is robotic or retropubic method.

Old Man

Mine leaks pretty much constantly as you described.  Howerver, when I feel the need to urinated, I can't just go to the toilet and stand or sit and pee...the pee just dribbles out, but never seems to empty the bladder.

Old Man

Fred:

That will get better over time as the urethra heals where it was severed to carve out the gland. However, if you are having trouble getting your bladder empty, by all means get back with the doctor. Had a bit of that trouble myself and over several weeks (two or three) had to have 10 bladder neck dilations to keep the neck opening clear. Finally, the doc gave me a catheter and showed me how to insert it and I did that until the area healed. Today, my stream will knock the bottom out of the commode when I pee.

Old Man

fubar

Fred

I am thankful all went well for you.Yes I mentioned the clamping as I read about it.You at least mentioned your penis health that all considered. Would not have proper healing with old surgery.Most pleased you have not have to deal with that.

I am geussing you will heal awesomely and leave this disease rendered vested.Meaning cut wide open and closed.

Fubar

goodluck

For what it is worth I have had good results with New Chapter Prostate 5lx.  

It is more money than many but I realy trust their quality from ingredients to manufacturing

Most everyone carries it.

Right now you can now get a very good discount on it at Vitacost.

Good Luck

Fred22

Quote from: Old Man on October 05, 2011, 03:08:08 PM
Fred:

That will get better over time as the urethra heals where it was severed to carve out the gland. However, if you are having trouble getting your bladder empty, by all means get back with the doctor. Had a bit of that trouble myself and over several weeks (two or three) had to have 10 bladder neck dilations to keep the neck opening clear. Finally, the doc gave me a catheter and showed me how to insert it and I did that until the area healed. Today, my stream will knock the bottom out of the commode when I pee.

Old Man

I went back in yesterday and they measured the volume of fluid in my bladder, which was normal.  The doctor could see that I was draining (was dribbling in the office), and I'm using a normal amount of pads.  He said it's all part of the healing process and I just need to be patient.  My problem is I'm waking up about 6 to 8 times a night feeling like I need to pee and just have to walk around holding a tissue on my penis until it drains...not getting much sleep.  My regular doc was in surgery but I saw another uro in the group.  I have an appointment with my regular doc (the surgeon) in 3 weeks and was told that the problem should be much improved by then.  Old Man, how long post surgery did your doctor show you how to cath?  Is 2 weeks long enough?....Fred

Old Man

Fred:

It was into the third week post surgery and after 10 bladder neck dilations by the doc that my uro suggested me doing the cath operation myself. I was in the ER at the hospital about to pop open from an overfilled bladder. He inserted one and drained off over a litre of urine.

Then he told the ER nurse to give me a regular catheter to take home. The nurse demonstrated the best way to insert the cath - which BTW is very simple. You just lube up the tube with sterile water soluble lube and slowly insert it into the head portion of the urethra and slide it on up the canal until you feel it enter the bladder and urine starts to flow, etc. The flow will stop when the bladder is emptied. Just pull it out after the flow stops.

Hope this helps. Old Man

Edit: I had to wear the catheter for 32 days post surgery.

Fred22

Quote from: Old Man on October 07, 2011, 12:10:46 PM
Fred:

It was into the third week post surgery and after 10 bladder neck dilations by the doc that my uro suggested me doing the cath operation myself. I was in the ER at the hospital about to pop open from an overfilled bladder. He inserted one and drained off over a litre of urine.

Then he told the ER nurse to give me a regular catheter to take home. The nurse demonstrated the best way to insert the cath - which BTW is very simple. You just lube up the tube with sterile water soluble lube and slowly insert it into the head portion of the urethra and slide it on up the canal until you feel it enter the bladder and urine starts to flow, etc. The flow will stop when the bladder is emptied. Just pull it out after the flow stops.

Hope this helps. Old Man

Edit: I had to wear the catheter for 32 days post surgery.

I think I had a very good surgeon (has performed upwards of 800 robotics and does about 5 a week), but when I went in 8 days after surgery for my post-op report and to have cath removed, he didn't take any x-rays.  My best friend had his robotic done at UCA by Dr. Tully last year and he took lots of x-rays at post-op meeting.  Do you find it odd that no x-rays were taken, or is this just a variation from dr to dr? Also have had intermittent rectal pain, which, I assume is normal, since they carve your prostate out of that area.  Hadn't expected as many complications but I'm sure I'll eventually get through it...as the doc told me yesterday...patience.

Old Man

Fred:

I agree with your doctor about having patience after the robotic surgery. You insides are affected about the same whether you had a retropubic or robotic surgery. The basic difference is that robotic permits you to have it done without an incision.

You still have the puncture openings to contend with though, but they present less of an opening to heal. From what most of the guys that I have worked with here in my home town using the robotic surgery say about their recovery is,  the recovery is shorter than retropubic.

Now about the X-rays - IMHO, that is based on what each individual doctor's preference is, etc. Some do them and some do not do them. Don't really believe that it would make any difference either way. So, bottom line is this, try to remain optimistic about your recovery and you should see better days soon.
Old Man

fubar

Fred
Oldman said alot of truth in his last statement.I have heard that all my life and it rains true.
Your best bet is to believe in yourself you control your outcome.Nothing less is acceptable.

Push Fred!

Fred22

Quote from: Old Man on October 07, 2011, 03:16:57 PM
Fred:

I agree with your doctor about having patience after the robotic surgery. You insides are affected about the same whether you had a retropubic or robotic surgery. The basic difference is that robotic permits you to have it done without an incision.

You still have the puncture openings to contend with though, but they present less of an opening to heal. From what most of the guys that I have worked with here in my home town using the robotic surgery say about their recovery is,  the recovery is shorter than retropubic.

Now about the X-rays - IMHO, that is based on what each individual doctor's preference is, etc. Some do them and some do not do them. Don't really believe that it would make any difference either way. So, bottom line is this, try to remain optimistic about your recovery and you should see better days soon.
Old Man

Old Man...Thanks for the support.  It means a lot.  Peeing a little better overnight and today, but it seems the progress is moving slowly.  But, as you say, patience is the key in this situation.  Just hope I can start getting some sleep soon.  Thanks again....Fred

jackisback

Thanks to everyone for your replies. I saw a different uro, and he said that I was fine more or less. He believed that the issue stemmed from not peeing properly. Since I've had this problem, it's become much more difficult for me to pee in public than before...like almost impossible, which is messing with my social life (I actually went out the past few weekends, and I'm gonna raise suspicion if I keep having to sneak off to piss outside).

I've also been using the Aneros prostate massager. The first few times I used it, afterwards I felt GREAT. I think that probably helped the pain that I'm having. I'm not in as much pain now (not much at all really), but I still wear looser pants that don't cut into my bladder and lower stomach too much. I'm supposed to see a woman in a few weeks to consult about pelvic floor muscle exercises to help with the peeing as recommended by the last uro. I'm a bit skeptical that they'll be of much benefit to me, but definitely willing to try!

Much thanks to everyone for your words and advise!

KAC

In what sense great?  Pain relief?

I've had more difficulty with a shy bladder since this whole thing started.  My doctor tried me on a few of the flomax type meds--settling on an older one that lowers blood pressure--and that seems to help.  He thought it was just part of BPH.

Fred22

Quote from: KAC on October 30, 2011, 08:18:26 PM
In what sense great?  Pain relief?

I've had more difficulty with a shy bladder since this whole thing started.  My doctor tried me on a few of the flomax type meds--settling on an older one that lowers blood pressure--and that seems to help.  He thought it was just part of BPH.

My shy bladder problem spun out ofcontrol at the first sign of Peyronie's.

hunchback

Quote from: jackisback on October 30, 2011, 05:10:47 PM
Since I've had this problem, it's become much more difficult for me to pee in public than before...like almost impossible, which is messing with my social life
i inherited a huge prostate so have had problems since my early 30s with urination. flowmax is a wonder drug for me but even then i inherited a huge bladder too. it still takes me a long time to empty my bladder and at work i hate going in a toilet standing up because the sound of it hitting the water for two minutes straight drives me crazy. just my paranoia but i worry people think there is a horse in the bathroom :)

one thing to be careful of is medications and certain supplements. a lot of the antidepressants and antihistamines like benedryl (which is found in sleep aids like Tylenol pm, etc) significantly reduce the flow. also anesthetics (after my radical biopsy that was fun dealing with urine issues). also if i sit for a long time or drink alcohol.

i have found hot baths, exercise, and daily kegel exercises to be helpful.

my grandfather who had problems urinating said "the problem with men today is they bathe standing up and pee sitting down." he claimed he never had a problem when he rode a horse, took baths rather than showers, and peed whenever he wanted instead of holding it. i think there is some wisdom in that.

GS

I also take Flowmax; I take it after a small breakfast every morning.  After breakfast I don't drink anything for a couple of hours; that way the Flowmax will get into my bloodstream and not be eliminated by "peeing it out".

This system has worked very well for me during the day and  I very seldom have to get up at night to pee.

GS

jackp

I was having to pee a lot during the day. I was sure I needed another TURP and with my implant I was not going to let just any urologist do it.

I made an appointment with Dr. Milam at Vanderbilt for a complete urodynamic work up and a cystoscope. After the exam Dr. Milam said my problem was only an over active bladder and he put me on enablex. The reason for enablex is that Flowmax has a side effect of irregular heart beat and with my heart history I can not take it.

That was about 3 months ago now, I pee like normal. Dr. Milam also told me that another TURP was probably not in my future.

The only reason I say this is you have a heart history of irregular heart beat there are other medicines that work other than Flowmax.

Jackp

bert

Had a uro appt yesterday and doc checked my prostate. It hurt like hell, and I was told it was very inflamed. Do you guy think this is being causes by peyronies? Vise versa?

I was given a 3 week course of Bactrim (not sure what exact antibiotics it is right now and I'm on the iPhone and too lazy to google, but it's a mix of 2 antibiotics). I had a bout of postatitis last year and was treated with a month of cipro. It seemed to do the trick.  What are you guys' thoughts? Thanks - Bert
Saint Hubbins
"He was the patron saint of quality footwear."

Old Man

bert:

Most uros that I am familiar with use Cipro for prostatitis symptoms. Have heard of Bactrim use, but never had any experience with its use. I have used Cipro many times with my urinary tract problems after prostate surgery.

Old Man

bert

I wonder if anyone has had prostatitis-like symptoms with peyronie's? I have had the dull ache and irritation since June-ish and was told it was peyronie's and not prostatitis, which I dealt with last year and had what I considered a similar pain. I mentioned to my doc that I was having an issue with dribbling after urinating and that is what prompted the prostate check-up (which by the way was VERY painful this time).

I guess I am wondering more if prostatitis is the underlying cause of the inflammation, or possibly peyronie's is causing the prostatitis like symptoms. I have had the ache in the perineum, testicles and the whole general vicinity since as long as I can remember having symptoms.
Saint Hubbins
"He was the patron saint of quality footwear."

Old Man

Bert:

My experience with prostatitis over the years has manifested itself in various and sundry ways of pain exhibited. At times, the head of my penis was so tender that it was difficult just to touch it. The shaft also presented pain and tenderness at times. At times the scrotum was also causing pain to touch making wearing jockey shorts almost impossible.

I could feel spastic contractions of my bladder at times. I was finally diagnosed with benign prostate hyperplasia (BPH) and was prescribed several meds for it. None of these helped for any length of time.

It was only after my radical prostatectomy that the symptoms went away. My uro could never tell if the symptoms were related to my prostate cancer, Peyronies Disease or other causes. At any rate you should consult with your uro as soon as possible. Any urinary tract infection should be treated as soon as possible.

Old Man