New member, recently diagnosed

Previous topic - Next topic

daniel415

Hi, all! I'm a 43 year old man, happily married for around 20 years.

I've been an insulin-dependent diabetic for 30 years, and I'd been dealing with diabetes-related erectile dysfunction, mostly successfully, for the last eight years or so. Started to notice a decline in the efficacy of my ED meds 7-8 months ago, followed quickly by a new, uncomfortable, and eventually painful bend in my penis. My discomfort is relatively mild, but it's present, on and off, both with and without an erection. Lucky me!

I suspected Peyronie's Disease immediately but chose to ignore it and hope it would magically disappear. You can imagine how well that turned out. Although nobody, as far as I know, has yet proven the mechanism behind the diabetes-Peyronie's correlation, it turns out that Peyronies Disease is more common among diabetics than among the general population. Lucky me again!

Anyway, I've wound up with a leftward curve of around 40 degrees or so, that has made traditional intercourse with my wife uncomfortable enough to be nearly impossible. Not fun. After a few months of anxiety, depression, and denial, I finally got the nerve to call a urologist (Dr. Tom Lue at UCSF, whose name I've seen all over this forum, and whom I recommend without hesitation). Dr. Lue both diagnosed me with Peyronie's in about 30 seconds, and got me on a new ED med that seems to work much better.

Have my first cycle of Xiaflex injections scheduled for next month and am hopeful. I've been very reassured to read other people's stories on this forum and wish you all the best in your treatments as well.

Also bought the traction device recommended to me by Dr. Lue and am NOT looking forward to wearing it long-term--it is not a comfortable appliance. But if there's any chance it will help, I'm toughing it out.  

LWillisjr

Welcome to the forum and keep us posted on your progress.
Developed peyronies 2007 - 70 degree dorsal curve
Traction/MEDs/Injections/Surgery 2008 16 years Peyronies free now
My History

TonySa

PxD 2 yrs 9/16.  Failed all treatment. 9/11/18: excision, grafting & implant Dr Karpman MtnView Ca, AMS CX 18cm + 3-1cm RTEs.
Pump failed.  2/11/20 Dr Karpman installed Titan 22cm +1cm RTE.