first Xiaflex treatment tomorrow

Previous topic - Next topic

mike017

Im new tp this forum.  My age is 70,  pyronies diagnosed over a year ago.  Went to urologist, she said I qualify for xiaflex...she looked at my photos  ordered blood test..ordered xiaflex..first treatment shot tomorrow..next one in 4 days..no ultrasound or other imaging done..she says she felt and knows where deposits are and identified the area of significant bending.  I'm bent 40+ degree left. Looking directly at my penis its 3 oclock bend.. kinda worried yet excited to do something..sex sucks at a 40 degree bend..my two appt for shots are jan 8th and jan 11th with modeling jan 16th   looking forward to a successful treatment cycle..fingers crossed..no pain no gain right    wonder if I should asked for local anesthetic or just go for it?
UPDATE #1  First injection was almost painless. Dr looked at pictures of erection I took, and based on those, plus feeling and asking questions determined area to inject.  6 hours later still no swelling or pain.  I asked about wrapping or using a magnet for swelling and doctor told me that wasn't necessary.  Looking forward to 2nd shot in three days.  My Urologists name is Dr Kadee Thompson, Sutter Medical Group Sacramento.  WE had a good discussion after 1st injection, I really feel comfortable with her.
UPDATE #2 2nd shot was thursday jan 11th  pain was very tolerable..dr said shot was perfectly where she wanted it..there was some swelling and discolor but only laster a day or so..first modeling procedure tomorrow tuesday jan 16th..I have been feeling around and it seems where the plaque was injected it doesnt appear to be as large an area,,maybe the injection breaks it down?  I am going to order Soma VED today to aid in stretching exercises.  I called augusta to ask about discount odd VED 3 ring device and they said they had maked it down from over $500 to $249..but they offered no discount for Peyronies forum members?
UPDATE #3 post injection dr visit for modeling..all seems well..no swelling or pain..started execises..dr says I can have sex next week!  Next appointment Feb 22nd to look at improvements

Whyhellothar

My doc hooked me up with a lidocaine cream in advance. You just coat yourself with it an hour before your appointment, and you won't feel a thing. An hour's a while to wait though, and you still have to drive there and walk through the lobby, so I just pop a sandwich bag over everything. It keeps everything contained beneath the clothes well enough haha. Might be short notice for tomorrow, but you'll still have AT LEAST five more shots in your future after that. Consider asking about it when you go see your doc tomorrow!

Crookid

Good luck and let us know how it goes.  

Whyhellothar

Glad to hear it's going well! I had a bit of swelling after my first shot two weeks ago — not a lot visibly, but definitely felt the pressure. It made me nervous going in for another shot before the swelling had much time to dissipate, but the day after my second shot I was feeling better than the day after my first. If that's typical, then the hardest shot's already over for you. And without any numbing! Congrats!

betterbend

Got my first shot on Thursday, hurt a little for 10 seconds and that was it.  Was wrapped for a day and when I took it off no swelling or bruising.  I was stressed going in, but honestly the first one was nothing.  My doctor said it went perfectly, right into the plaque and it was difficult to inject, exactly what he wanted to have happen.  I am surprised that the first poster, got an injection without much of an exam.  I had a full work up prior to, ultrasound, bloodflow, measurement, calcification evaluation.  My next shot is next week, then 1 think 2 weeks for modeling and stretching.  
55 - Onset May 2017.  38 degree bend up.  Failed Xiaflex treatment.  Still functional so I decided to stop treatments.  Only take 400mg Co-Q10 and occasionally use Restorex

mikejunior

Thank you for your post. I am going in for my first Xiaflex injection next week. After reading your post and update, you helped ease my nerves a bit.

Crookid

Thanks for the update! I'm waiting to see if my insurance will cover xiaflex. Please keep posting how you are doing!

betterbend

My second injection was last week.  My doc waits 7 days for the second injection.  The wrap it which I keep on for about 19 to 20 hours.  Removing the wrap was uncomfortable.  However with both injections I had no bruising at all.  I start traction tomorrow (they wait another 7 days for that).  Sex next week.  Overall a few seconds of pain on injection and removing the wrap was annoying, but really I think I over thought it.  In just evaluating myself with my morning boner, I didnt see a change, but I do feel better, not sure if that is just psychological.  Not being able to have sex for 3 weeks is weird.  It reminds me of when I couldnt eat for 24 hours when I had a colonoscopy.  I was reaching for food all day, before I had to stop myself.  Its the same impulse and stopping it.  

Crookid, did you ever get insurance approval?  The cash bill for Xiflex was mindblowing, I will wait to see how my insurance affects the cost, hopefully it will by substantial amount.
55 - Onset May 2017.  38 degree bend up.  Failed Xiaflex treatment.  Still functional so I decided to stop treatments.  Only take 400mg Co-Q10 and occasionally use Restorex

TonySa

If paying cash be sure to apply for the patient assistance $ through the pharmaceutical company
PxD 2 yrs 9/16.  Failed all treatment. 9/11/18: excision, grafting & implant Dr Karpman MtnView Ca, AMS CX 18cm + 3-1cm RTEs.
Pump failed.  2/11/20 Dr Karpman installed Titan 22cm +1cm RTE.

betterbend

Yes I contacted endo.  They will assist up to 1200 per injection.  If the insurance cover decently, then I might get full reimbursement with that 1200...  

Crookid

Quote from: betterbend on January 24, 2018, 12:29:57 PM
Crookid, did you ever get insurance approval?  The cash bill for Xiflex was mindblowing, I will wait to see how my insurance affects the cost, hopefully it will by substantial amount.

I believe I was approved although I'm now getting conflicting info from the hospital. I left another message for them to call me today after playing some phone tag. If I don't hear back by end of the day tomorrow I'm going to call again. Thanks for posting how it's going so far! Good luck...

LWillisjr

This is now locked as an introductory topic. Please feel free to post in other areas of of the forum.
Developed peyronies 2007 - 70 degree dorsal curve
Traction/MEDs/Injections/Surgery 2008 16 years Peyronies free now
My History