Doing a surgery, what to expect and what to do after?

Previous topic - Next topic

deliverance

Hello there.
I'm new here, been reading for a few months but finally felt that i needed to ask here.

Long story short:
I'm 26 years old. My peronies started only a year ago with a 30 degree bend. I got in touch with a urologist pretty fast after i discovered what was happening and he told me it's good to wait at least a year to see if it gets worse or if it stays as it is, to see if an operation is applicable.
That was about 8 months ago. I now have an approximately 70-80 degree turn. I visited for the second time some weeks ago and he said just by looking at the picture (from 8 months ago, and a newly taken) that surgury was definately an option now.
I don't have any problems with ED (yet) but having intercourse is pretty much impossible and very painful.

I don't know what they call it in the US (i'm in Sweden) but the technique they use here is called "pleating" or "plicating" if i translate it directly.

My question is, to those of you who have done this surgury or similar. What can i expect? In terms of my Peronies getting better, penis shortage, pain/recovery after surgury.
Should i buy a traction device to use afterwards when it has healed? Will this give any of my length back?

Sorry if my post is all over the place. Been having bit of a panic these past weeks.

Cheers,

LWillisjr

Doing a search on the forum for some of your topics will yield some more detailed answers/discussion. But in a nutshell.......

There are several things you can try.... traction, VED, Xiaflex, etc. My experience is that you can get some improvement from these, but not 80 degrees worth. Even if you got 30-40 degrees improvement would still be borderline for having intercourse (40 degrees or more seems to be the point of intercourse being problematic.

There are several surgical procedures, some more invasive than others. The key is finding an EXPERIENCED Peyronies doctor. I know that can be a challenge based on where you live. Several of us on the forum have had surgery and very happy with the outcome. There are always risks and similar horror stories of surgeries that did not go so well.
Developed peyronies 2007 - 70 degree dorsal curve
Traction/MEDs/Injections/Surgery 2008 16 years Peyronies free now
My History

deliverance

Thanks for your reply!

I've done a lot of reading and i am still convinced that surgery is my only viable option.

How long was the rehabilitation for you, in terms of being able to go to work and such?

swiss

God Speed to you. That is a gnarly bend and I hope that your surgery is successful.  

TonySa

Plication definitely shortens the penis (to length of short side), but has a less risk of ED after than grafting.  Like it's been said, an experienced peyroines doc will be your best bet.
PxD 2 yrs 9/16.  Failed all treatment. 9/11/18: excision, grafting & implant Dr Karpman MtnView Ca, AMS CX 18cm + 3-1cm RTEs.
Pump failed.  2/11/20 Dr Karpman installed Titan 22cm +1cm RTE.

Jonbinspain

Deliverance;

I would suggest you contact Dr Kuehhas in Vienna. He will at least give you a consultation. You can decide from there.

He speaks German, English, and Spanish.  

JamesM

The below is specific to only my circumstance.

I had no success with the VED before my first nesbit plication surgery 4 years ago for dorsal peyronies at close the 80 degrees.  That surgery failed, the curvature returned at roughly 60 degrees.

I had a second nesbit plication surgery 2 years ago, which also failed, the curvature remained. To make matters worse after the 2nd nesbit procedure,  each erection was painful, the plication sutures were painful.

Two weeks ago I had the implant procedure, which so far appears to have completely worked. The plication sutures were removed. The implant cylinders are partially filled keeping my penis partially erect so that the left and right corpus get use to the implant.

There has been less pain with the implant surgery than there was with both plication surgeries.

I choose the AMS 700 product for its durability.

TonySa

James, did the doc do modeling or the implant alone corrected the curve?  What implant model did the doc recommend was best for peyroines?
PxD 2 yrs 9/16.  Failed all treatment. 9/11/18: excision, grafting & implant Dr Karpman MtnView Ca, AMS CX 18cm + 3-1cm RTEs.

JamesM

6 months post surgery update.

The ams700 implant as a solution to peyronies dorsal curvature has way exceeded expectations.  The ability to stay firm well after ejaculation has changed everything.  The curvature and the hourglass are completely resolved.

For those considering implant surgery, I can only say it was the best money we ever spent.

Hrvat21

Is there any way an implant will be of longer side of peyronie's affected penis, and would i get my girth back even i have hourglassed when i put one in :D And also, do you guys think the surgeon can at the same time repair ruptured bulbocavernosus muscle or do i need another procedure?

Sadguy

Please go to PROFILE then FORUM PROFILE to replace this text with your profile info such as age, date of onset, symptoms, treatments tried, etc

Hrvat21

I don't know if the rupture is describing it properly. When i masturbated i used to tense up my pelvic bulbocavernosus muscle so i ejaculate faster, and when i fractured my penis i think it "burst", ruptured. Since then i have only a half of that muscle, have permanent hard flaccid and have to push out pee by hand after pissing and prematurely cum because of it, also my penis is lotta less stabile and flexing of it is very weak.

deliverance

I've got a date for my surgury now. March 14th.

Will report what happens.

mst

Man, choose your surgeon very very carefully. Check his abilities, ask how many surgeries did he perform. It is not a joke.

You should do extensive research which surgeon will be the best for you.

You need a doctor from the top. There are few of them. Read the forum. Do not make a mistake because it could end very bad.

deliverance

No worries man. I'm going to do it with one of the best in the country. He does numerous of these surguries every year.
I know im in good hands. My worries are not about his abilities but in general how a surgery will affect me.

TonySa

D, are you good w losing some length w plication?  I read somewhere the expected loss of length based on the degree of bend, but not sure where.  Otherwise it seems the way to go if you want surgery and want to go with less odds of complications.  But, has some have said they can still occur.  I'd ask the doc about how soon after one could start traction and not damage the sutures.

deliverance

I wouldn't say i'm good with it but i've come to accept it.
I'm currently at 9' (or around 22,5 cm as we say in EU) and the fact that i'll lose some of it is something i will have to live with.

Regarding doing traction or VED afterwards i haven't decided yet. I'm a firm believer of "don't F~@< with something that works" so if all is well after the surgery, i don't think i'll do any of that. Unless my loss in length is devastating.

TonySa

From what I hear you may lose about a 1/2 inch, even if an inch you're more than still in good shape!

deliverance

That's what i'm hoping for.
I understand that the more severe the curvature is, the more length you lose?

TonySa

Yes, the doc should be able to tell you.  Measure the shorter side—that's where you will most likely end up.

deliverance

JohnWright

"I understand that the more severe the curvature is, the more length you lose?"

I'm glad you asked that as a question and didn't make an absolute statement.

The truth = it all depends on the technique used to fix the curve.

Some techniques involve grafting (or similar relief) on the short side, which mitigates the shortening issue.

TonySa

I believe he's asking about plication, has certain length loss-correct?

deliverance

Exactly. I was just expressing my concern about the length loss. Even though i've got "some to spare" so to say, my bend is so severe that i'm a bit worried that the loss of length will be greater than what i've come to accept on beforehand.

TonySa

Does anyone know the expected length of loss based on degrees of of curvature?  I thought I saw this somewhere.  

Also, would a doc consider correcting say from 80 degrees to approx 20-30 degrees to not have as much loss in length?

TonySa

Here's a thread w someone with a 90 degree congenital curve has s successful surgery and lost about one inch total (had 7.5 to start). Others comment on their surgery as well.  https://www.peyroniesforum.net/index.php/topic,7734.msg77260.html#msg77260

deliverance

I'm allright with an inch. However if i go after the lenghth of the inwards side of the curve, i might lose 4-6cm.. If that were to be the correct way to make an assumtion of the incoming length loss.

TonySa

I think for him it was an inch from the longer size down to the shorter size length.  He has some pics-even before and after overlaid by photoshop.

deliverance

I'd be okay with that, cause from measuring my "short side" now i'll lose around 6 cm if that was the correct way to do it. That i am not okay with, haha!

deliverance

1 week until surgery. Trying to stay positive. Will report back on progress.

JohnWright

Those of us who have successfully gone before you are cheering you on! Stay positive. Follow the surgeons post-surgery instructions exactly. No fudging.

deliverance

Surgery done, just woke up at the hospital. Urologist confident it went well. Didn't need to do any "de-gloving" (translated from swedish). Will report progress.

JohnWright

If you intend on sharing the details, recommend you start a new thread topic about your recovery. It will be easier for future readers to find and read. This thread is already kind of lengthy.