NUTRITION Thread

Previous topic - Next topic

skunkworks

Pro-Inflammatory Foods to Avoid
Avoid the bread basket.

Stay away from pro-inflammatory foods, which accelerate the aging process. A simple rule of thumb is to consider the following: If it contains flour, and/or sugar or other sweetener, it will be pro-inflammatory. Sugary, starchy foods are poor choices and will not only pack on excess pounds, they will make you look older than your years.

* Bagels
   * Breads, rolls, baked goods
   * Candy
   * Cake
   * Cookies
   * Cereals (except old fashioned oatmeal)
   * Cornstarch
   * Corn bread, corn muffins
   * Corn syrup
   * Crackers
   * Croissants
   * Doughnuts
   * Egg rolls
   * Fast food
   * French Fries
   * Fruit juice—choose the fruit instead
   * Fried foods
   * Flour
   * Granola
   * Hard cheese (except for feta and grating cheeses, such as Romano and Parmesan)
   * Honey
   * Hot dogs
   * Ice cream, frozen yogurt, Italian ices
   * Jams, jellies and preserves
   * Margarine
   * Molasses
   * Muffins
   * Noodles
   * Pancakes
   * Pastry
   * Pie
   * Pita bread
   * Pizza
   * Pasta
   * Popcorn
   * Potatoes
   * Pudding
   * Relish
   * Rice
   * Sherbet
   * Shortening
   * Snack foods, including: potato chips, pretzels, corn chips, rice and corn cakes, etc.
   * Soda
   * Sugar
   * Tacos
   * Tortillas
   * Waffles

Anti Inflammatory Foods

Bell Peppers
Bok Choy
Broccoli
Broccoli Sprouts
Brussels Sprouts
Cabbage
Cauliflower
Chard
Collards
Fennel Bulb
Garlic
Green Beans
Green Onions/Spring Onions
Kale
Leeks
Olives
Spinach
Sweet potatoes
Turnip Greens

Basil
Cayenne Peppers/Chilli Peppers
Cinnamon
Cloves
Cocoa (at least 70% cocoa chocolate)
Licorice
Mint
Oregano
Parsley
Rosemary
Thyme
Turmeric

Avocado Oil
Extra Virgin Olive Oil

Green Tea

Acerola (West Indian) Cherries
Apples
Avocados
Black Currants
Blueberries
Fresh Pineapple
Guavas
Kiwifruit
Kumquats
Lemons
Limes
Mulberries
Oranges
Papaya
Raspberries
Rhubarb
Strawberries
Tomatoes

Almonds
Flaxseed/Linseed
Hazelnuts
Sunflower Seeds
Walnuts

Cod
Halibut
Herring
Oysters
Rainbow Trout
Salmon
Sardines
Snapper Fish
Striped Bass
Tuna
Whitefish
This is an emotionally destructive condition, we all have it, let's be nice to each other.

Review of current treatment options by Levine and Sherer]

alexk

On the nutrition front, here's a list of foods broken down by amounts of arginine and lysine, two amino acids that may be pro-inflammatory or anti-inflammatory, depending on which research you believe:

http://www.herpes.com/Nutrition.shtml

Depending on your nitric oxide status, you will either want to increase lysine (decreasing arginine) or vice versa. Check with your doctor for tests that can determine this.

Hunter

Quote from: alexk on October 23, 2009, 05:43:27 PM
On the nutrition front, here's a list of foods broken down by amounts of arginine and lysine

Thanks for the helpful link. Your thoughts on Lysine and Arginine are helpful especially when read in context with your previous posts on this board. Out of curiosity, have you arrived at any thoughts about a possible viral contribution to Peyronie's? That would certainly further explain the arginine/lysine effects since these amino acids have been shown to have strong adverse and beneficial effects respectively in managing herpes infections. I personally have no experience in any anti-viral research. I do find careful dietary management, especially avoiding pro-inflammatory foods to be helpful in managing Peyronie's
symptoms such as swelling, discomfort and difficult urination. Supplementation with high quality fish-oil or other omega-3 oils also helps.

alexk

Hi Hunter, there's some brief discussion on the forum about viruses and autoimmune issues:

tr.im/D7Jv

I'm personally skeptical of a viral and/or autoimmune role in Peyronies Disease.

slowandsteady

slowandsteady

High dietary methionine plus cholesterol was shown to be bad for fibrosis of the heart, at least if you are a rabbit (PMID 16054151). Rabbits in the wild don't eat cholesterol, so take that with a grain of salt.

However, egg whites contain lots of methionine (two large egg whites contain about 400 mg methionine) and egg yolks ... well, you know. I do feel that methionine makes Peyronies Disease worse, and that it might be worthwhile to try minimizing dietary intake of it. And I really like eggs.

slowandsteady

Yesterday I skipped curcumin (since I'm fighting a cold) but avoided methionine in foods and had a very pain free day. I think avoiding big doses of dietary methionine at one sitting might turn out to be a good idea, perhaps limiting methionine to less than 300 mg per meal.

newguy

An interesting angle. I do have a good diet, but I may give more consideration to taking my eating habits in certain new directions, and seeing if it impacts pain levels etc.

despise

Quote from: skunkworks on September 07, 2009, 03:32:22 AM
Pro-Inflammatory Foods to Avoid
Avoid the bread basket.

Stay away from pro-inflammatory foods, which accelerate the aging process. A simple rule of thumb is to consider the following: If it contains flour, and/or sugar or other sweetener, it will be pro-inflammatory. Sugary, starchy foods are poor choices and will not only pack on excess pounds, they will make you look older than your years.

* Bagels
   * Breads, rolls, baked goods
   * Candy
   * Cake
   * Cookies
   * Cereals (except old fashioned oatmeal)
   * Cornstarch
   * Corn bread, corn muffins
   * Corn syrup
   * Crackers
   * Croissants
   * Doughnuts
   * Egg rolls
   * Fast food
   * French Fries
   * Fruit juice—choose the fruit instead
   * Fried foods
   * Flour
   * Granola
   * Hard cheese (except for feta and grating cheeses, such as Romano and Parmesan)
   * Honey
   * Hot dogs
   * Ice cream, frozen yogurt, Italian ices
   * Jams, jellies and preserves
   * Margarine
   * Molasses
   * Muffins
   * Noodles
   * Pancakes
   * Pastry
   * Pie
   * Pita bread
   * Pizza
   * Pasta
   * Popcorn
   * Potatoes
   * Pudding
   * Relish
   * Rice
   * Sherbet
   * Shortening
   * Snack foods, including: potato chips, pretzels, corn chips, rice and corn cakes, etc.
   * Soda
   * Sugar
   * Tacos
   * Tortillas
   * Waffles

Anti Inflammatory Foods

Bell Peppers
Bok Choy
Broccoli
Broccoli Sprouts
Brussels Sprouts
Cabbage
Cauliflower
Chard
Collards
Fennel Bulb
Garlic
Green Beans
Green Onions/Spring Onions
Kale
Leeks
Olives
Spinach
Sweet potatoes
Turnip Greens

Basil
Cayenne Peppers/Chilli Peppers
Cinnamon
Cloves
Cocoa (at least 70% cocoa chocolate)
Licorice
Mint
Oregano
Parsley
Rosemary
Thyme
Turmeric

Avocado Oil
Extra Virgin Olive Oil

Green Tea

Acerola (West Indian) Cherries
Apples
Avocados
Black Currants
Blueberries
Fresh Pineapple
Guavas
Kiwifruit
Kumquats
Lemons
Limes
Mulberries
Oranges
Papaya
Raspberries
Rhubarb
Strawberries
Tomatoes

Almonds
Flaxseed/Linseed
Hazelnuts
Sunflower Seeds
Walnuts

Cod
Halibut
Herring
Oysters
Rainbow Trout
Salmon
Sardines
Snapper Fish
Striped Bass
Tuna
Whitefish

what would banana's be categorized in? i eat a lot of apples and banana's.  

newguy

Despise - Bananas contain quite a high amount of natural sugars. It's probably worth limiting your intake if you eat lots of them.. I think at this time the most relevant step for you is to get on pentox. I notice from your posts that your urologist isn't keen on giving it to you. Have you read the new pentox study on here? Perhaps show that to him?

despise

Quote from: newguy on November 12, 2009, 11:12:31 PM

Despise - Bananas contain quite a high amount of natural sugars. It's probably worth limiting your intake if you eat lots of them.. I think at this time the most relevant step for you is to get on pentox. I notice from your posts that your urologist isn't keen on giving it to you. Have you read the new pentox study on here? Perhaps show that to him?

I see my urologist again on december 1st so yeah let me see the new study please.

newguy

It was posted in the resource centre and as quite promising. >>click<<

Discussion relating to it is here:  https://www.peyroniesforum.net/index.php/topic,996.0.html

despise

This is the study I should show my urologist correct? I am going to get on pentox asap, can't believe I didn't do it sooner.

skunkworks

Quote from: despise on December 12, 2009, 12:05:05 AM
This is the study I should show my urologist correct? I am going to get on pentox asap, can't believe I didn't do it sooner.

Neither can I. Early treatment is the best kind of treatment.
This is an emotionally destructive condition, we all have it, let's be nice to each other.

despise

don't you need a lot of those proflammatories for carbs? im starting to run a lot so it won't really matter if im burning them right?

skunkworks

Quote from: despise on December 21, 2009, 09:35:54 AM
don't you need a lot of those proflammatories for carbs? im starting to run a lot so it won't really matter if im burning them right?

Fruit and veg have carbs. You do not need wheat or potato.

despise

Quote from: skunkworks on December 21, 2009, 06:02:06 PM
Quote from: despise on December 21, 2009, 09:35:54 AM

Fruit and veg have carbs. You do not need wheat or potato.

Yeah I guess you're right, its just hard because I am addicted to my whole grain cereals =P

Skjaldborg

Everything in moderation. Whole grain cereals are fine; I enjoy them myself and my longer runs get a big boost from grape nuts, honey and milk. I guarantee that if you stopped eating wheat and potatoes altogether...nothing would happen. That's right, nothing. You would still have Peyronie's. The key here is balance and moderation: Don't eat too much meat, don't eat too many fried foods and go easy on the processed foods. That's about it. For the record, I am generally suspicious of any dogma, be it religious, political or dietary.

-Skjald

despise

Quote from: Skjaldborg on December 21, 2009, 11:23:13 PM
Everything in moderation. Whole grain cereals are fine; I enjoy them myself and my longer runs get a big boost from grape nuts, honey and milk. I guarantee that if you stopped eating wheat and potatoes altogether...nothing would happen. That's right, nothing. You would still have Peyronie's. The key here is balance and moderation: Don't eat too much meat, don't eat too many fried foods and go easy on the processed foods. That's about it. For the record, I am generally suspicious of any dogma, be it religious, political or dietary.

-Skjald

Yeah I can guarantee peyronies would still be there as well but I guess I just want to do whateverz best healthwise. I'll try to cut down on all the whole grains and try to eat more fruits and vegies.

snowydreams

Is there anything recommended to eat for Peyronie's or Erectile dysfunction?

George999

Both Peyronie's and ED are fueled by inflammation and both are typical amongst diabetics.  The goal as far as diet should be an anti-inflammatory diet and a reduction in blood glucose levels and in insulin levels, both of which are very inflammatory.  - George

skunkworks

Put it here but it might be best served in oral treatments? Or elsewhere, mods will obviously decide.

I think it could be useful to everyone to have this thread where those who keep up with the research can post studies, information etc, on ways of eating that will combat metabolic syndrome and inflammation.

I'll start with this, which I see as probably one of the most important pieces of nutrition research in the last 100 years:

Meta-analysis of prospective cohort studies evaluating the association of saturated fat with cardiovascular disease

http://www.ajcn.org/content/91/3/535.abstract

For those who are scared of meat, despite it being our main ancestral food source.

rd

How likely do you all think it is that Peyronies is just a side affect of a poor diet. I stumbled across a movie the other day fat sick and nearly dead. Talks about people eating to many processed foods and how that causes many issues. It was a interesting watch and made me start to think that peyronie's could just be a result of a poor diet. I never thought I ate poorly I wasn't a super healthy eater. I would avoid fast food with occasional trips to sub shops but never mcdonalds etc. But I did realize after watching the movie just how many processed foods I ate. Maybe this is one reason why some see results from certain treatments and others do not. Not to mention that a small percentage supposedly have regression of this and others get worse and some see no change.  

Old Man

rd:

To the best of my recollection, I have never heard that a poor diet caused or would cause one to have Peyronies Disease. The most bantered around cause is that Peyronies Disease is the result of trauma of some sort. However, there are many contributing factors that enter into making up Peyronies Disease symptoms there seems to be no common cause for one developing Peyronies Disease.

Injury to the tunica and erectile tissue areas of ones penis seems to be the leading factor. So, IMHO, diet would not or should not cause one to develop Peyronies Disease.

The above is just my observed opinion in working with many guys on and off the forum who have developed Peyronies Disease.

Old Man
Age 92. Peyronies Disease at age 24, Peyronies Disease after
stage four radical prostatectomy in 1995, Heart surgery 2004 with three bypasses/three stents.
Three more stents in 2016. Hiatal hernia surgery 2017 with 1/3 stomach reduction. Many other surgeries too.

rd

But if you have a poor diet and sustain a injury maybe thats why it doesn't heal properly?

George999

rd,  I think I would agree with you on this, at least to a degree.  I say "to a degree" because I believe there are a number of other factors.  Included among them would be things like environmental toxins and individual genetics and many more.  Peyronie's HAS TO BE the result of an interaction between multiple factors and that is what few people get.  There are plenty of people with a lifetime of poor diet under their belts who suffer penile injury and have no problem and no Peyronie's.  But, having said that, IF one has a poor diet, that will almost certainly, in my opinion, make that individual significantly more vulnerable to Peyronie's and a slew of far more serious diseases.  Which of those diseases they get, if any, will be predicted by their individual genetics AND exposure to other negative environmental factors.  Poor diet being, of course, a diet the raises blood sugar levels and lacks necessary nutrients.  - George

Briden

Greetings,

Not sure if this topic has been covered in another thread, but I am curious to know if any individuals have reported developing Peyronies while following a strict vegetarian or vegan diet in their lives.

I have recently made a decision to dramatically change my diet and nutrional intake to battle rising cholesterol/glucose/blood pressure levels etc. I am currently working with a nutrionalist who referred me to the documentary "Forks over Knives". I highly recommend this for any individual battling heart disease, cancer, diabetes etc...I have also read the book by Dr. Caldwell B. Esselstyn - Preventing and Reversing Heart Disease.

This movie and book go into great detail about eating a whole food plant based diet and how it has reversing effects on blood vessel wall damage, plaque build-up in the arteries, better release of nitric oxide, and a host of other benefits..

I'd love to hear thoughts from vegetarian/vegan individuals who developed Peyronies Disease..or any other angles...I appreciate the feedback.

Take Care,
Briden

rd

Quote from: Briden on October 21, 2011, 05:01:36 AM

Greetings,

Not sure if this topic has been covered in another thread, but I am curious to know if any individuals have reported developing Peyronies while following a strict vegetarian or vegan diet in their lives.

I have recently made a decision to dramatically change my diet and nutrional intake to battle rising cholesterol/glucose/blood pressure levels etc. I am currently working with a nutrionalist who referred me to the documentary "Forks over Knives". I highly recommend this for any individual battling heart disease, cancer, diabetes etc...I have also read the book by Dr. Caldwell B. Esselstyn - Preventing and Reversing Heart Disease.

This movie and book go into great detail about eating a whole food plant based diet and how it has reversing effects on blood vessel wall damage, plaque build-up in the arteries, better release of nitric oxide, and a host of other benefits..

I'd love to hear thoughts from vegetarian/vegan individuals who developed Peyronies Disease..or any other angles...I appreciate the feedback.

Take Care,
Briden

I saw the same documentary and was actually wondered the same thing. If I remember correctly they even had a urologist in it that said ED could be helped by going whole food vegetarian diet because it lowered cholesterol and allowed the nitric oxide to help repair vessel damage.

slowandsteady

Give 'Fat Head' a gander for another take. At the very least, it's hilarious.

Briden

Nice!  I'm watching "Fat Head" right now..ahh the beauty of netflix!

Anyways, there have now been close to 60 people who have reviewed this thread and not one person has chimed in to say they were living a Vegan/Vegetarian diet at the time of developing peyronies. Nor has anyone pointed me to a previous thread covering this topic.

Search also turns up nothing.

If you have Netflix watch a small segment from 52:30 - 54:15 of the documentary "Forks over Knives".

and, again, I'd love to have anybody acknowledge they were vegetarian/vegan at the time they developed Peyronies Disease.

Have a great weekend everyone!
Briden

crashbandit

Did you develope Peyronies Disease while switching to the new vegan diet? I couldn't see anyway possible a vegan diet could spark Peyronies Disease. I could only imagine this clean healthy diet would prevent Peyronies Disease. But if your trying to find out if it is possible for a vegan to develope Peyronies Disease then I can understand why your asking this question.
Cheers

Briden

Hey Crashbandit.

To clarify, No, I did not develop Peyronies as a vegetarian or a vegan. I am just now beginning to switch to a whole foods plant-based diet based on the advice of my current nutritionalist as well as the message behind "Fork over Knives" and the book "Prevent and Reverse Heart Disease" by Dr. Caldwell B. Esselstyn.

I find the concept fascinating that their is significant science, statistics and studies behind changing nutrition to clear plaque in the arteries, lower blood pressure, reduce cholesterol, halt cancer growth, heal the bodies vein and artery walls, eliminate Diabetes, etc etc..

This got me very curious to know if any established vegetarians/vegans have developed Peyronies?
It would be an interesting variable to research..I will mention it to Dr. Lue (Maybe he can add this line of questioning to his next questionnaire)

I have begun my nutrition change, I will make sure to announce any changes to my Peyronies if any occur.

Thx,
Briden

0x5555

Peyronies is scar tissue so I assume vegetarians can get it.  A healthy diet would probably promote proper healing but I doubt that it would make a significant impact on whether you can get Peyronies or not.

james1947

dioporcolorisolvo

I didn't find an English explanation about what paleodieta is. Mainly in Italian, some in Spanish and other languages.
From what I understand (with my poor Italian understanding) is that the paliodieta is based on the diet that our ascentors was eating.
Crude vegetables and fruits, some meet and eggs.
Can you give a small explanation regarding the pleodieta or some link to a site that explain in English?
Thanks

James
Age 71, Peyronies from Jan 2009 following penis fracture during sex. Severe ED.
Lost 2" length and a lot of girth. Late start, still VED, Cialis & Pentox helped. Prostate surgery 2014.
Got amazing support on the forum

dioporcolorisolvo

Quote from: james1947 on March 23, 2012, 05:31:25 PM
dioporcolorisolvo

I didn't find an English explanation about what paleodieta is. Mainly in Italian, some in Spanish and other languages.
From what I understand (with my poor Italian understanding) is that the paliodieta is based on the diet that our ascentors was eating.
Crude vegetables and fruits, some meet and eggs.
Can you give a small explanation regarding the pleodieta or some link to a site that explain in English?
Thanks

James

Search "Robb Wolf" and if you can, buy his book "Paleo Dieta".
Another reference is dr.Cordain, the father of this diet.

http://thepaleodiet.com/

I must say that it's a hard diet, and when i'm very depressed i eat sugar, so i'm not able to follow ever this diet, but is my reference point.

james1947

dioporcolorisolvo
I want to mention that what I am writing bellow is my private opinion and I may be wrong, even very wrong.
I have opened your link. My problem is that I don't find some general explanation regarding what the diet is. I get more information from the Italian Internet sites (even with my poor Italian as I have written).
I have to say that in the Q&A I have read some answers that I don't like to much. The author repeats in some of his answers
QuoteI have changed my position years ago (2005) on saturated fats.
Some other answers in the same stile, I don't like also.
If his diet is based on scientific researches, how can his position changed in 7 years? Maybe just five years because he says he have corrected many things in the 2010 edition.
It seems to me more like a marketing site for the books he have written. I am not going to pay $25.95 to learn about this diet whitout basic information on this diet.
And maybe my opinion is based on my bad experience with some "professional books" I have bought in the past and I was very disappointed from them. One of them explained how to overcome prostate cancer with no surgery or medications, just by changing our diet, life stile and eliminating toxins from our body by doing xyz. I have followed the book and made myself more damage than help. Two years after I bought this book, I have read a sad announcement that the book author has passed away, guess from what? Prostate cancer.
Please do not take my post personally, is just my opinion.
James
Lost 2" length and a lot of girth. Late start, still VED, Cialis & Pentox helped. Prostate surgery 2014.

George999

The Paleo diet is one of a small number of "good" diets.  There are a lot of "fad" diets out there that do more harm than good, but the Paleo diet gets so many thing right that it can, in my opinion, be very beneficial (and I am NOT following the Paleo diet myself, but I have deep respect for it).  The IMPORTANT thing when it comes to diet is 1) eliminate all sugars and refined carbs, bad fats, etc. and 2) retain a BALANCED diet with sufficient carbs, fats, proteins AND fiber.  Paleo Diet achieves both those goals as do a few other well known diet plans.  You can learn more about the Paleo Diet here -> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paleolithic_diet WITHOUT having to buy somebody's book.  AND, note that at the bottom of that page you will find a TON of referrences.  - George

james1947

Hi guys
My fault, I have heated up on the subject talking about on the wrong topic. Paleo diet worth his own topic so:
I have split the posts regarding paleo diet from "Pentox? In my case has worsened situation" and merged them with this post:
PALEO DIET
George
Thank you for the link. The Wiki explanation is very clear.
James

james1947

Ooooops!!!
I made a mistake so the "Re: Pentox? In my case has worsened situation" is not merged yet to this topic.
I ask Hawk to help me in the subject so I suppose will be OK soon.
James  

dioporcolorisolvo

Quote from: james1947 on March 24, 2012, 09:39:50 AM
dioporcolorisolvo
I want to mention that what I am writing bellow is my private opinion and I may be wrong, even very wrong.
I have opened your link. My problem is that I don't find some general explanation regarding what the diet is. I get more information from the Italian Internet sites (even with my poor Italian as I have written).
I have to say that in the Q&A I have read some answers that I don't like to much. The author repeats in some of his answers
QuoteI have changed my position years ago (2005) on saturated fats.
Some other answers in the same stile, I don't like also.
If his diet is based on scientific researches, how can his position changed in 7 years? Maybe just five years because he says he have corrected many things in the 2010 edition.
It seems to me more like a marketing site for the books he have written. I am not going to pay $25.95 to learn about this diet whitout basic information on this diet.
And maybe my opinion is based on my bad experience with some "professional books" I have bought in the past and I was very disappointed from them. One of them explained how to overcome prostate cancer with no surgery or medications, just by changing our diet, life stile and eliminating toxins from our body by doing xyz. I have followed the book and made myself more damage than help. Two years after I bought this book, I have read a sad announcement that the book author has passed away, guess from what? Prostate cancer.
Please do not take my post personally, is just my opinion.
James

If you think well....paleodiet says very banal things.
You must eat only food that come from nature.
If you think well...diseases are increasing day by day....one reason is certainly the pollution, but the true cause is nutrition.
I have a site very very good for all explaination.
This site is a doctor's blog, specialized in nutrition and fisiology. He's italian.

www.sanipersempre.com

james1947

After reading on www.sanipersempre.com posted by dioporcolorisolvo understanding some of the written there and reading on http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paleolithic_diet posted by George understanding almost everything I can say that I am much confused.
Some respectable (or maybe not so?) sources stated that:
QuoteA 2011 ranking by US News & World Report, involving a panel of 22 experts, ranked the Paleo diet lowest of the 20 diets evaluated based on factors including health, weight-loss and ease of following.[24] These results were repeated in the 2012 survey, where the diet placed 24th out of 24, stating that their experts "took issue with the diet on every measure".[24] However, one expert involved in the ranking stated that a "true Paleo diet might be a great option: very lean, pure meats, lots of wild plants. The modern approximations... are far from it."[24] He quickly added that "duplicating such a regimen in modern times would be difficult."
Some experts are writing that is OK to consume dark bread and potatoes that in my country of origin are main ingredients in the daily food intake, some are against. I also like fermented cereals (in form of beer).
If I am watching my daily food intake, the only thing I can do is to eat much as possible vegetables, fruits and natural grown meet as in the place  I am living can find in abundance chicken, beef, goat and lamb growing free on grass. Indeed they are much more skinny (and less tasty but much more cheap) than the imported beef from Australia. I am also working hard now to reduce to minimum the sugar intake after learning some things from George and others (I love, love, love chocolate).
James

George999

I think the HUGE issue many have with Paleo Diet is that they consider it "hard to follow".  That in a nutshell summarizes much of their complaint.  I think the other major issues have to do with elimination of grains and dairy AND overemphasis on meats.  To that I would answer that there are other ways to get plenty of carbs than just with grains.  I would also suggest that many if not most following the #1 rated DASH diet (which IS one of the better diets) are consuming whole grain food that is not REALLY whole grain, but marketed cleverly to SUGGEST it is.  They are also consuming GMO modified whole grains which present yet another health issue, not to mention that the typical wheat on the market today contains many times the gluten as wheat did in our ancestor's day centuries ago due to decades of intensive breeding and genetic selection.  I DO NOT avoid grains myself, but I DO try to do my best to avoid the above pitfalls.  I think the Paleo people are ahead of the DASH people on this issue.  Concerning dairy I would say that dairy is HIGHLY overrated.  I consume some dairy in moderation, but a lot of people are consuming far to much of it.  As for "over emphasis on meats" aka too much protein, I would say that a lot has to do with the QUALITY of the meats.  Those on DASH diet are free to choose meat that is industrially raised, GMO corn fed, and loaded with anti-biotics and other unsavoury ingredients.  I believe this more than offsets the risks of a little larger portion of HEALTHY grass-fed beef, wild caught fish, or free range poultry.  The person on the DASH diet would also be very likely consuming industrially grown fruits and veggies which are nutritionally neutered by industrial fertilization, not to mention all the toxic waste that gets dumped on them to control pests and weeds.  And I'm saying all of this as a FAN of the DASH diet.  In fact I HAVE TWO copies of the DASH diet book.  I OFTEN use information from the DASH diet book.  But those doing the diet reviews have a bias toward conventional wisdom on diets that leads them to give the DASH diet an endless number of passes while holding the Paleo diet to account using a brain dead bean counter approach.  NOTE THAT ALL THE TOP DIETS HAVE THEIR ROOTS IN THE MEDICAL ESTABLISHMENT.  That tells me that their is more than a bit of bias going on here.  I can say that I also have some issues with the Paleo diet.  I think Paleo adherents would be well served to take advantage of the more primitive grains available because they DO provide some good nutritional punch without much of the down side of mass market grains.  Personally I use a small amount of Ezekial Bread, and some Rye based products such as European made Pumpernickel.  ABSOLUTELY NO American Pumpernickel though, its adulterated as far as I am concerned.  I would also assert that there are milk products with value, such as raw milk whey from grass fed, growth hormone free, non-hybredized cows, as well as UNADULTERATED fermented products such as yogurt and kefir.  I would also encourage them to very carefully monitor the quality of their meats.  I find bison to be a good choice, even over grass fed cattle.  And, James, let me assure you that chocolate is VERY VERY healthy.  You just have to get the kind that is not loaded with sugar and other adulterants.  Dark semi-sweet chocolate with a SMALL amount of cane sugar or other primitive sweetener is a good choice if you can find it.

George999

Well, James, I guess now you just have move all those posts over here before the problem gets out of control  ;)  - George

james1947

I try but I had made a mistake  ???  so I need Hawk to help me.
Next time I will be more smart  :)
James

james1947

George
What I can assume from your last post that my diet is acceptable. Local meals I ate very rarely because the cocking here is sweet, everything sweet and with fire hot chilly papers. They are using a sweetened (extremely sweet) soy sauce in everything.
Also what you have written about chocolate it makes me happy not because I like it very much but also because I have lost 16Kg in the last year or so and I don't want to lose more (I am 180cm and 76kg now). The chocolate have a lot of calories and most made here with sugar cane or brown sugar.
James

justo

Hi folks. This topic has probably been posted here before. I am wondering what to eat??? As i see many posts about avoiding carbs. Should i eat only protein?
thx
j

George999

The answer is to eat a BALANCED diet including:

1) GOOD NON-REFINED NON-PROCESSED carbs like whole or pureed fruit that contains ALL its components INCLUDING fiber.  Raw is better.  Low glycemic (includes most fruits) is better.  Watch out of grains, of all grains, rye tends to be the best choice.  Wheat is the worst choice since it has been hybridized, GMO'd and industrially farmed, etc.

2) GOOD NON-PROCESSED proteins like whole or pureed veggies that contain all their natural components.  Again, raw is better in most cases.  FREE-RANGE poultry and WILD-CAUGHT fish are also good choices.  I avoid red meat except for occasional GRASS FED beef, bison, or venison.

3) GOOD FATS like those found in nuts, avocado, etc.  Good oils are olive oil, walnut oil, coconut oil, etc.  AVOID corn oil, soybean oil, these are heavily processed and typically derived from GMO'd sources.

4) GOOD FIBER like that found in cruciferous veggies, artichoke and apples.  Good fibers are ORGANIC wheat bran, oat bran, konjak flour, coconut flour, apple bran, etc.

Your diet needs to be balanced, not heavily weighted toward proteins.  BUT, most people eat far too much carbs and fats and far too little protein and fiber.

The big problem with diet is PROCESSED FOODS that contain noxious things like corn syrup/sugar, chemical additives, etc. and often modify the character of the food itself to the point of all but zeroing out the nutrition while amplifying the caloric and glycemic content.  The ONLY way you can tell whether or not your diet is sustaining you or destroying you is to use a cheap and simple glucose meter and stick your fingers and find out what it is that is driving up your glucose levels.  When a particular food drives up your glucose levels sky high, it is also driving up your insulin levels and insulin is, I repeat for the thousanth time, INFLAMMATORY.  Too much insulin WILL CAUSE tissue damage and lead to diabetes like symptoms EVEN IF you DO NOT have outright diabetes.  And Peyronie's is a disease TYPICALLY encountered among diabetics.

- George

BrooksBro

I concur!

In general, if it comes with a barcode label on it, don't buy it, but if you do, don't eat it.  ROFLOL

For about the last 18 months, I have been eating mostly lactose-free and gluten-free, unprocessed food.  At 172 lbs, I eat about 1,800 cal/day, roughly 50% carbs, 30% protein, 20% fat.  Do NOT neglect an adequate fat intake!  Just make sure it is "healthy" fat.

Monday through Friday, I eat the same food every day, and five "meals" per day (about every 3 hours).  Saturday and Sunday are less regimented.

Overall, I feel much better.  1,800 cal/day may not seem like much.  I am an endurance athlete and work out six days a week, four days of which have two-a-day workouts.  I have one day that is rest.  

A PhD nutritionist and I discussed the benefits of a "whole food" (or unprocessed food) nutrition.  This is sometimes known as the Paleo diet.  Athletes need more carbs than in the original Paleo diet.  The nutritionist said, she believes, but does not have the research to back it up, that our body does not "recognize" most processed food as "food."  And as such, it does not know how to manage it efficiently, so much of it gets stored as fat.  On the other hand, "real" food is recognized and processed efficiently.

I never believed much of this until I tried it.  I can only cite my continuing experience, which is all favorable.

Time for my lunch:  Broiled salmon, chopped green & red peppers, sweet potato, broccoli.

Skjaldborg

To quote Michael Pollan: "Eat food, not too much, mostly plants." This is a good rule of thumb. I think a common mistake that a lot of people make when changing their diets is to make things too complicated and they get frustrated and fail. Some of the suggestions below are great and have significant health benefits, but non-GMO, organic, free-range, fair-trade, vegan, gluten-free artichokes might not be available in rural Iowa (or wherever you are), so here are a few things that might be helpful at the beginning:

1. Cut out fast food to only once a month (make it a rare treat).
2. Cut out soda pop. Diet too. Drink more water.
3. Cook your own meals at breakfast, lunch and dinner (including packing a lunch everyday). Think: protein, greens, fruit, whole grains.
4. If you find yourself hungry at certain times of the day, eat a bit of cheese, some nuts or apple as a snack. The protein in the cheese/nuts will fill you up and the fiber in  an apple does the same.
5. Try new foods from your local farmers market. You'll find a lot of old favorites as well as new things to try. Ask the vendor for recommendations on how to prepare.
6. Read your food labels. The fewer ingredients and less processing, the better.

-Skjaldborg

George999

"For about the last 18 months, I have been eating mostly lactose-free and gluten-free, unprocessed food."

Lactose and gluten can cause NASTY problems for people.  Part of the problem is that grains have been bread over the centuries to have VERY high gluten content, and that is an invitation to allergic response.  Dairy cattle have been bread to produce milk with high amounts of lactose.  Because both these substances taste very yummy in food.  If you are going to eat something containing lactose, I advise taking an enzyme with it to help in breaking it down.  The only thing I can advise regarding glucose is to avoid as much as possible.  If you eat the "heirloom" type grain products rather than modern wheat products that make up close to 99% of the grain market, you can avoid a lot of gluten content.  BUT, I would advise stopping glucose completely for a period of weeks.  If you "just feel better" as a result, you may have an intolerance to glucose, and you should remove it from your diet, at least for a significant period of time, after which you can restart it in small amounts and see how it goes.  But, in any case, don't underestimate the ability of glucose and lactose to screw up your health.

"Monday through Friday, I eat the same food every day, and five "meals" per day (about every 3 hours).  Saturday and Sunday are less regimented."

Eat EARLY (breakfast) and eat OFTEN is very good advice.  The more you can spread your food intake, the less you will risk spiking your glucose and risking a destructive insulin response.  In fact, I eat a rather large breakfast, so I split it.  First I have my small serving of mixed fruits.  Then I hop on the treadmill for 30mins of interval exercise, then off the treadmill for my half Ezekiel muffin topped with nut butter made from RAW (unroasted) mixed unsalted organic tree nuts.  I also snack throughout the day on little bits of rye crackers with nut butter and pumpernickel and cookies made from about 90% mixed soluble and insoluble bran with no baking powder or grain flour to mess things up.

"Monday through Friday, I eat the same food every day, and five "meals" per day (about every 3 hours).  Saturday and Sunday are less regimented."

Its great to take a break now and then.  Yesterday I went out to eat at a restaurant for lunch and had a chef's salad with chili.  I ate 1/2 the salad and the little cup of chili and brought the other half of the salad home for dinner.  It was great and it relieves the stress of having to be on a continual diet.

"Overall, I feel much better.  1,800 cal/day may not seem like much.  I am an endurance athlete and work out six days a week, four days of which have two-a-day workouts.  I have one day that is rest. "

The less (calories) you eat and the more you exercise, the better you feel and the better your health gets.

"The nutritionist said, she believes, but does not have the research to back it up, that our body does not 'recognize' most processed food as 'food.'"

Processed food is almost always saturated with simple carbs (which are simply not found in nature) and chemical additives.  They indeed produce and unnatural and unhealthy response from the body that will end with ill health.

"Time for my lunch:  Broiled salmon, chopped green & red peppers, sweet potato, broccoli."

Yum!  I have never enjoyed my food so much as since I started eating REAL food.