A few questions on supplements

Previous topic - Next topic

Unsnarl

Hello,

I have a few (hopefully not stupid) questions on supplements and would appreciate some opinions.

• I have started taking l arginine and acetyl l carnitine and the bottles suggest a certain dose that is lower than the commonly suggested dose for Peyronie's. Is there a reason the bottles suggest a particular dosage and are there any drawbacks to exceeding it (one of them actually says "do not exceed the stated dose")?
  • If I do stick to the dosage on the bottle (500 mg a day for l arginine and 1000 mg a day for acetyl l carnitine) am I just wasting time and money or is any amount better than none (I realise everyone receives different results anyway)?
  • In several places I've found mention of a 3 month course of acetyl l carnitine for Peyronie's. Is this because of a particular study? Is there any reason not to take it for longer than this?
  • I am thinking of starting coenzyme Q10. I am nearly 37. Should I be considering ubiquinol instead yet? Is there any way to know?

Jonbinspain

The only likely side effect of taking an excess of ALC is diahorrea. I regularly take a level teaspoon of each in water every day, although I use Citrulline Malate rather than Arginine ( they are both far cheaper in powder form)  Neither will do you any harm unless you take vast quantities.

Re CoQ10. Quite simply what the body wants is Ubiquinol, which you can buy but is more expensive. Basic CoQ10 is Ubiquinone, which must then be converted in the body to Ubiquinol. Studies appear to suggest that the body's ability to make this conversion diminishes after approx the age of 40.

Simple answer is, if you can afford the higher cost, buy Ubiquinol.  

Unsnarl