16-dot vs STAGE ?

Previous topic - Next topic

BlueRobot

Hello all.

I am 28 and I was just officially diagnosed with congenital curvature. It is a downward curve that is 45- 60 degrees. Length is not an issue for me (which I understand is common with congenital curvature).

It is still unclear to me what procedure might be best for my situation. It seems like most here are opting for the STAGE predefined. My doctor presented me with the 16-dot procedure. My desire is to have the curvature corrected but I also hope to have the angle of the erection be above perpendicular to my body.

I'm looking for clarification between the two procedures and their advantages and disadvantages. I would also love to hear some personal experiences with both.

[UPDATE]

Here's what I've been able to gather from the forum and from various medical papers.

The STAGE procedure utilizes small "superficial elliptical excisions" that are then closed up with dissolvable internal stitches making the erection straight. Dissolvable stitches can be used because of the excisions. When they heal together the stitches are no longer needed to keep the erection straight. It seems to be that the small excisions and subsequent healing are them means for the long term compression of the excess tissue that wasn't excised (the extra tissue that a Nesbit procedure would have removed).

The 16-Dot procedure utilizes permanent internal stitches to pull the tissue together to make the erection straight without small excisions. The stitches are permanent because they are the means by which the excess tissue is being compressed. Thus keeping the erection straight.

From what I can find in the various medical studies the STAGE procedure's advantage over the 16-Dot is no permeant (and possible palpable or even painful) stitches. Where it's disadvantaged to the 16-Dot is that if the stitches dissolve before the excisions heal the curve returns. It also seems to be that over the long term the healed together tissue can give way to the tissue it's compressing and thus the curve returns.

The 16-Dot's advantages over the STAGE is a lower frequency of curvature returning long term in addition to it being a less invasive procedure with faster recovery times (the STAGE procedure is also minimally invasive though compared to the Nesbit). The lower frequency of curvature returning seems to be due to the superior strength of the permanent stitches over the healed together tissue from the STAGE procedure. The faster recover time is due to less trauma because there is no tissue removal. The disadvantages over the STAGE is that many (maybe around 50%) men can feel the permanent stitches or can see small BB sized bumps. These bumps don't seem to be visible with an erection though but I couldn't find any definitive info on this. While many men can see or feel the stitches very few (like less than 1 percent) find them painful or feel they inhabit sex in any way. The stitches can be removed if pain persists but the curvature would return.

Both procedures seem to carry the same low risk of sensation changes or nerve deadening of part of your member and carry a very small risk of other erectile dysfunctions.

Everything I've shared above could be incorrect.  :)  If you have additional or different information please share.  

kusher

Penile surgeries are very difficult to manage. They should be handled by a reconstructive urologist not a general one. If you are in the US. Go to joel gelman.  
Please go to PROFILE then FORUM PROFILE to replace this signature line text with your profile info such as age, date of onset, symptoms, treatments tried, etc

qwertyman

As far as I'm aware, the 16 dot method uses non-absorbable sutures? Please correct me if I'm wrong. In that case, if the stitches themselves break then the surgery is compromised.

STAGE uses absorbable sutures, so although it is a more intrusive surgery, the effects are permanent once they dissolve.

Regards,
Qwertyman

DanP

I don't like the idea of having permanent stitch in my body. You will feel it. I would always go to Dr. Kuehhas and have stage. He is one of best surgeons for penis curvature.  
Please go to PROFILE then FORUM PROFILE to replace this signature line text with your profile info such as age, date of onset, symptoms, treatments tried, etc

kusher

I did my stage surgery on 28sep and now I can't achieve full erection. Maybe just 50%. Is this normal? How many weeks do I have to wait to get a proper erection?  

TonySa

Sounds like might be a problem, maybe talk with the doc and see if anything will help.  Guys here may weigh in if VED or traction had helped ED post surgery as well.
PxD 2 yrs 9/16.  Failed all treatment. 9/11/18: excision, grafting & implant Dr Karpman MtnView Ca, AMS CX 18cm + 3-1cm RTEs.
Pump failed.  2/11/20 Dr Karpman installed Titan 22cm +1cm RTE.

DanP

no worry kusher. it varies from patient to patient. just follow instruction.

kusher

Kuehhas said it is part of the recovery. My healing is prolonged cuz I had nesbit in June and stage in September. Fingers crossed.  

zoli1995

@kusher: Phallossan will probably help you a lot on this part. Although I didn't have problems with getting erections, I do feel that their quality is much better after starting to use it +1 hour. Also the initial curve that I had and still have a little is greatly reducing. I wish you good recovery on this part!

mst

Quote from: zoli1995 on December 04, 2017, 03:23:05 AM
Also the initial curve that I had and still have a little is greatly reducing

How big was your initial curve and how it look like right now when you reduced that?

zoli1995

@mst1622:

Well, it depended a lot on the time of the day, the weather etc. If I came from the cold, it was about 20-25 degrees downwards, but that was in the first weeks. In the morning it was about 10 degrees max. Now, in the morning I would say it is already less than 5 degrees and when coming from the cold, it is now about 10 degrees max. I guess this will reduce to zero as I see it reducing slightly day by day now.

I saw my penis after being operated (they made pictures) and it looks completely straight. So there's no reason why a small downwards curve would remain.

The cold thing makes sense since the penis retracts naturally. It takes a few minutes to get back to the normal flexible self, so it's not that bad. I was scared of it initially, but it's all normal and it will resolve as soon as you'll use Phallossan. It really does work, but only after you start using it more than one hour. Until then I found no real improvements.

Either way, if you'll see a curve in the beginning, please don't worry. It WILL go away by using Phallossan. It can be bigger, smaller but it will go away. You'll just have to use the stretching system AND encourage erections and just get used to it and everything will be fine.