Xiaflex injections at UCSF yesterday

Previous topic - Next topic

mike1379

I had two injections yesterday, return Friday for a repeat. Dr Lou recommends a traction device from ESL40.com which costs about $35. How you attach it depends on your curve. Since mine is to the left I'll attach this to my right leg. He said to wear it at lease 2-3 hours a day after I get my injections Friday. He said he's seen very good results from men using this device. Injections yesterday have left me swollen and sore but nothing severe requiring any pain killers.  

TonySa

Hi Mike, I hopefully start mine next week w him.  Any more you can say about the process? Is there one needle stuck  or many, how long did it take, etc.  little nervous here. Tony
PxD 2 yrs 9/16.  Failed all treatment. 9/11/18: excision, grafting & implant Dr Karpman MtnView Ca, AMS CX 18cm + 3-1cm RTEs.
Pump failed.  2/11/20 Dr Karpman installed Titan 22cm +1cm RTE.

QuackAttack

Tsan and Mike,

I completed my 7th cycle on Monday. I have figured out the way to eliminate swelling. On Friday, I had my URO place my Neo Max Gold magnet on the under side of my penis; however, it wasn't where I suggested as my URO thought it would be better closer to the injection site. Nope, I was swollen like a pumpkin within 3 hours. This can happen if a blood vessel is nicked. I re-positioned the magnet the the bottom just before the glands and the swelling reduced about 50% by evening, by the end of Saturday another 50% and by Sunday it was back to normal. After Monday's injection, I had my URO position the magnet in the same location I put it and I didn't even have swelling.

I would highly recommend anybody using Xiaflex to get the Neo Max Gold healing magnet from Lyon Legacy in Wisconsin. The lady who runs the company is awesome.

mike1379

Tony - Dr Lou first injected me to induce an erection so that he could determine the best site for the xiaflex injection. A half hour later he had to inject me to get rid of the erection. Some time later he injected me with some painkiller, then two injections of xiaflex. This evening I've been swollen and sore and put an ice pack on which has reduced both soreness and swelling. Should be fine tomorrow. Go back Friday when he'll inject me again with xiaflex in a slightly different spot. Over the weekend I'm ordering the  traction device Dr Lou recommends. I was there for about 90 min. Friday will take less time because he won't have to induce an erection again...he's already marked me. Good luck on yours!

TonySa

Thanks Mike, that's very helpful.  Does he recommend starting the traction as soon as the device arrives?
PxD 2 yrs 9/16.  Failed all treatment. 9/11/18: excision, grafting & implant Dr Karpman MtnView Ca, AMS CX 18cm + 3-1cm RTEs.

mike1379

You have to wait a few days after your shots cause you'll have swelling and bruising that has to clear up. I'm ordering the traction device from esl40.com this weekend and should have it next week.

Have you met Tom Lue? He's the most comfortable doc I've ever had. He's got a great sense of humor about all this. I can't imagine entrusting my dick to anyone else.

TonySa

Yes, he's a riot and I feel very fortunate to be in such good hands.

mike1379

I had the second xiaflex injection a week ago on Friday. Afterwards I had much bruising and soreness which has lasted a week. I began stretching with the esl40 traction device recommended by Dr Lou. This is a lower tech device which costs less than $35. One benefit is that it can be attached in a way that stretches my penis in the opposite direction of the curvature.  I'm using it initially for an hour at a time, 3-4 times a day. As I get used to it I'll try to use it for up to 2 hours at a time. Over the next 4 weeks I'll be measuring for improvement in the curvature which was about 40-45 deg to start with.

mike1379

Be happy to answer any questions either here or by PM

TonySa

Did you start traction the same day as the injection?

mike1379

No - too sore for that. I was very sore for several days. I'd wake up early in the morning with a very painful erection. That had to stop before I could do traction. So I had the injections a week ago Friday and started the traction yesterday.  

TonySa

Oh boy, was hoping there wouldn't be s lot of pain.  I start my injections with Dr Lue in two weeks.

mike1379

It's not that painful...you'll survive lol I took an ibuprofen on the 2nd day. I was so loaded up with lidocaine on Friday that I felt nothing for the next 18 hours. But after Saturday the only acute pain I felt was in the early morning when I'd wake up with a hard on and had to focus on something really boring to make it go away. The last couple of nights I haven't had that pain and now I'm using the traction toy without any serious soreness.

mike1379

Good luck on yours...look forward to hearing how it went.

TonySa

WhatNext81

After recieving my first cycle I was told not to take ibuprofen or anything that would thin the blood.  
Please go to PROFILE then FORUM PROFILE to replace this text with your profile info such as age, date of onset, symptoms, treatments tried, etc

mike1379

I didn't get that advice but I only took 1 ibuprofen a day after the injections.

mike1379

Update: I finished the second set of xiaflex injections two weeks ago. Each day I was injected in two spots. As of now, the bruising is gone, the soreness is mostly gone except at the site of the xiaflex injections, but that soreness is now mild. For over a week I've been using the traction device recommended by Dr Lou. I use it 1-2 hours at a time, 3 to 4 times a day. When I started I could only tolerate an hour but now I can tolerate 2 hours at a time. My curvature originally was 40-45 degrees to the left. I've noticed now that the curvature is approx half that. So I'm happy with the results so far. I plan to continue traction for the entire month and then assess with Dr Lou if another round of xiaflex is necessary. Happy to answer any questions anyone has.

mike1379

I think that where he injects the xiaflex is important in getting the best results possible, combined with the traction. If I straighten out sufficiently lol my concern will be if the curvature will return. It may be that I'll have to do the traction more or less indefinitely but hopefully not as many hours a day as I'm doing now. Can't imagine doing this in a work environment.

SCJ

Would like some help and guidance - here's my post on a few of the other topics on this site. Not sure what to do.

I have just received my 4th shot of Xiaflex - prior to this I had no problems just minor bruising and no swelling, the 4 injection has me really concerned and would like some guidance on next steps.

My doctor feels that these are some of the side effects, but I'm having some difficulty in believing it.

About 3 hours after my 4th injection I developed some serious pains in my penis, to the point that I decdied to go to the ER. Within a few hours I noticed some minor swelling on the top of my penis towards the injection site, about the size of a chestnut.

Over the next few days My penis has swollen (and still is) to the size of a small eggplant and is the same color, as well as my scrotum which was swollen to the size of a baseball and is a very deep purple color. The bruising is so bad that is now runs into my pubic area and along my hips.

The odd thin is that I have no pain but the swelling and bruising are really bad, I'm 3 days past the injection and not sure when things will get better.

Not sure what to do at this point — be patient or go see another urologists?

Many of the doctors who looked at me In the ER have never seen anything  like this before, which makes me a bit concerned. My urologist who administered the injection says that this does happen and are some of the side effects, does it really?

Has anyone else experiences this in the past?

I'm 55 years old and post op from prostate cancer about 1 1/2 years ago, where I believe I've delevlopd my Peyronies

Any thoughts would be helpful to calm me down at this point

mike1379

If my penis had swollen to the size of a small eggplant I would definitely call my urologist. In my case, my urologist has treated a couple of thousand men with peyronies. How experienced is your urologist?
One thing you might try, put an icepack on your penis where its swollen, maybe wrap the ice pack in a cloth so you don't get your penis too cold. I used an icepack on mine for 3 days after my injections. In your case, if you ice it and don't see any improvement within 3 more days, I'd go back to your urologist. In my experience the swelling and bruising should be diminishing a week after the injections. I wouldn't be so concerned about the bruising...mine was all over my penis and scrotum, but the extent of swelling would concern me if it didn't recede after a week.

mike1379

Update: one month after my xiaflex injections at UCSF and a month of using the ESL40 traction device I now have only a slight curve to the left. If this holds I won't ask for another round of injections. I do intend to continue using the traction device each day. I use it at least 3 times a day for approx 90 minutes each time. I take it off for a half hour and do another 90 minutes. Usually I do this in the evenings. Haven't had any problems with the traction device - it's easy to attach but not as sophisticated as some of the other devices others here use. It's been effective. Happy to answer any questions. Good luck to you all!

TonySa

SCJ and Mike—is your doc Lue at UCSF?

mike1379

mike1379

Update Dec 4:

I continue to use the ESL40 traction device recommended by Dr Lue approx 5-6 hours a day. I put it on for 60-90 min at a time, then take it off for a half hour, then reattach. My curvature is now a slight bend to the left, far less of a bend than before my xiaflex injections in October. I'm undecided about doing another injection. I think I'll give the traction another month or so and then send an update to Dr Lue. All the bruising and soreness is gone. Erections are strong. The slight bend I have now is something I could live with but I'll decide in another month, maybe two.

TonySa

Wow, after two rounds of injections you went from 40-45 degrees to?

mike1379

I'd guess the curvature is less then 20%. Originally I had a sharp bend to the left, now it's a gentle curve. My speculation is that 1.on both injection days, he injected the cord in 2 spots. On the second injection day he injected me in different spots after he gave me a shot to produce an erection; and 2. When I got my first xiaflex injections 2 years ago, the instruction was to stretch my penis by hand etc. This approach was wholly ineffective, at least in my case. After my October injections I began using the ESL40 traction toy which, when attached, stretches my penis to the right. I think traction post injection is key, and stretching it opposite the bend. I've been very 'religious'hahaha using that device every day, started off using it 2-3 hours a day and now use it 5-6 hours a day, usually in the evening. The other thing I've noticed is that the traction regimen I'm doing has increased girth and seems to make erections more spontaneous.

TonySa

Congrats guy!  Did you take pics to document the progress?

mike1379

Yeah I took several pics for Dr Lue, and sent them also to a guy on the forum who's starting xiaflex.

TonySa

I'm three weeks out with my first round with dr Lue and don't see any progress...trying to remain hopeful