I want to make a documentary film

Previous topic - Next topic

PeetyPeet

Hi all,

I've not been on the forum much the past few months due to work. I've been mulling over an idea recently and would be interested to hear people's thoughts.

I've been thinking of making a documentary film highlighting the challenges men face - personally and also when dealing with medical professionals -  if they develop sexual dysfunction. It would be very personal, using my own experiences as a starting point. While the focus will be on ED, I plan to also include other conditions, including peyronies. I aim to research it well and include detailed, but easy to understand descriptions of penile conditions along with anatomy of the penis. I would use animation as a less explicit visual aid.

I would like to interview relevant medical professionals. I'd like to question their approach and attitude but also understand any obstacles they face that prevents them delivering the treatment they might like to (It's important to be fair). I'd also like to look at the attitudes of wider society.

A recurrent theme on the forum and web generally is dissatisfaction with the treatment and attitude of many urologists and other medical professionals, and I think it can play to their advantage that male sexual dysfunction is a subject rarely discuss openly. It's time to stop suffering in silence and I think a film raising awareness would help. Having said that, I will most likely film and edit in a manner that protects my anonymity. It goes without saying that any other sufferers involved in the film, no matter how indirectly, will have their privacy and anonymity protected. The film would be years in the making.

I'd be grateful for any thoughts, ideas, advice.

Best

Peety

NeoV

That would be amazing Peety. Peyronie's and men's sexual health is vastly ignored. It would really help to shed some light on it, regardless of the outcome. I would be willing to help in any way I can!

Shankerbill

Excellent idea! I was always very impressed when the great Pele came out about erectile dysfunctional problems. Perhaps you might get someone of similar status to narrate? Would you include prostate problems as well, or just focus on the penis?

Paolo

Someone in 2011 had this idea (see below) but don't think anything came of it, good luck though Peety  :)

Documentary Film in the UK - Peyronies Society Forums
Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.

Toronto34

This is a great idea. When I get in a better headspace, I want to write about my experiences with Peyronies and CPPS. I definitely find the lack of general knowledge amongst men about how to maintain a healthy penis, as well as the lack of medical knowledge amongst doctors on how to diagnose or treat conditions of the penis to be surprising.

I think another angle that's interested me is how a lot of men have injured their penises/got Peyronies from trying get a bigger penis through jelqing or other PE techniques. Again, it speaks to how little we discuss these issues and how poor our education on these things is.

You could also look at how we, as a society, fetishize big penises and sexual prowess without actually ever discussing what's healthy and normal for our penises. I think women are much better at having open, honest discussions about their sexual health.

PeetyPeet

Thanks for your support and input everyone!

The documentary is very much in its planning stages and I won't have an opportunity to make a serious start on it until the autumn at the earliest (and then most of the time will be spent researching, initially). I think I've read the post by this chap from Form Films before. Alas, it looks like the film, and the company, didn't go anywhere. They only have one film - a cooking programme - listed on the BFI website. The advantage I have over this film is that my scope aims to be a little broader, I have my own experiences to draw from, along with plenty of testimonies from other people thanks to online forums. In the future, when I'm more prepared, I may give a shout out for anyone who might be willing to give me a more detailed testimony / story via email. At this stage I don't plan to interview any sufferers on camera, however if an opportunity presents itself then maybe.

As I say the focus will be on ED and my personal history with it, initially at least, and I will look at all causes, related conditions, current assessments and treatment options. It's hard to say at this stage how much I will go into detail about various conditions etc. Peyronies will no doubt get a lot of attention due to my misdiagnosis of corporal fibrosis a few years back, along with my positive experiences on this forum. I also plan to to touch on prostate problems, particularly prostate cancer and prostatectomies. I'm particularly interested in research into penile rehab following a nerve sparing prostatectomy, as it suggests the importance of nocturnal erections in maintaining penis health and erectile functionality. That men are forced to join online forums and/or draw from penis 'pseudo-science' in the absence of appropriate info and support from medical professionals will be a major theme.

My experience of film-making is very limited, but I err to the more natural, adhoc style, where the process of making the film forms part of the documentary. I'm a big fan of Nick Broomfield, for example. I also think this style of film making is more suited to biographical topics and allows someone with limited experience to play to their strengths. I only wish I'd recorded on film all those appts over the years.

The largest obstacle will undoubtedly be convincing medical professionals to take part, particularly high-flying consultants / surgeons / academics. I'm thinking if I nail the descriptive animations before approaching them, I can send the footage through with the invitation and hope it will convince them to take me seriously. Open to any suggestion on this one!

Any more advice and suggestions would be very much appreciated.

Thanks again

Peety

takesix

I think you should touch on the gray area between "function for function sake" and "function" when it comes to urology.

A good example would be how in the literature penile shortening, loss of sensation, virility and even complete loss of the penis is deemed acceptable when dealing with aggressive cancers of the region or prostate surgery. Placing mortality as a priority, I do understand, but this black and white thinking is precisely what led to the lack of support since they assume patients will feel the same.

Then you have the guys with peyronies, implant cases or other morphological problems regarding the penis gets shoehorned into the same criteria. To create a straight penis but shorter penis, yes, functional and any compromise is deemed reasonable. To push and idealize for ideal morphology and virility makes you teeter the line of BDD and psychiatric problems. Unless the issue of function is expanded beyond a physiological level, medical advances will not be made to reduce compromises.

Female breast cancer patients on the other hand can get implants post mastectomy and the whole process regarding body image post surgery has been widely celebrated with big support through awareness. But breasts versus the penis is opening up another can of worms.

No other part of the body has the same level physiological implications when it comes to optimal functioning. Nobody emotionally wallows about a 7 degree curvature of the spine or having LDL levels 40 points above average. Maybe the face I guess. Oral and maxillofacial surgery and orthodontic treatment is a good parallel where function and aesthetics are becoming more and more integrated, but with some old timers still stuck in focusing on the former due to taboos in regards to lookism. Patients are told to make compromises and many end up unhappy.

QuackAttack

Peet,

While it is a good idea, what are the odds of getting people to be involved in a documentary about something that is so personal and, to be frank, embarrassing?

PeetyPeet

Quote from: takesix on July 16, 2017, 01:01:27 PM
I think you should touch on the gray area between "function for function sake" and "function" when it comes to urology.

Thanks, and yes I intend to. I'd like to  question urologists' simplistic, binary approach (it works or it doesn't) to what are multifaceted and nuanced conditions of a complex organ. 'Male sexual dysfunction vs other conditions' would most likely form  part of a section dedicated to a lack of appreciation by professionals and wider society of the severe impact on quality of life male sexual dysfunction can have. I'd also like to include a section on penile cancer as this is a truly horrendous condition that I think even urologists would agree deserves more attention.

Quote from: QuackAttack on July 16, 2017, 01:56:07 PM
While it is a good idea, what are the odds of getting people to be involved in a documentary about something that is so personal and, to be frank, embarrassing?

I'm working on the assumption that sufferers will not want to take part. That's completely understandable. But that aspect, that men do not feel they can talk publicly about their condition will form part of the documentary. Online forum posts also provide a plethora of testimonials that I can deliver anonymously ( I won't even mention user names). I'm currently mulling over the best way to get leading UK urologists to agree to be interviewed. That I am a former patient of a few will be to my advantage, I hope.

LeviaThoN

I could potentially help you out. Send me a private message

swiss

swiss

Quote from: QuackAttack on July 16, 2017, 01:56:07 PM

The only way to find a cure is to come out of the shadows.  

DELETED

Quote from: swiss on August 11, 2017, 01:15:16 PM
The only way to find a cure is...
And also tons of money for investment to bio-labs and scientists

swiss

Well yeah, but I've said it here before...most dudes don't know about peyronies. There IS NOT enough awareness about this. This is something they should mention to kids in sex ed.

Arabia

Here are some videos posted in the last 3 weeks on Peyronies disease.  Leviathon posted this on another forum but very few have looked at it.

It seems there are both patients and physicians who are willing to be interviewed on this topic.  This one is quite well done as it focuses on the psychological impacts of Peyronies Disease and also mentions traction as a non-surgical treatment.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zP7r5bl0WHI&feature=youtu.be

From a urologist at UCLA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5CJBDBIAy90

Hopefully the link police will leave these posted.

TonySa

I'm certainly willing to be interviewed.  I am at the beginning phase of this and have first urulogust appt tomorrow.  Going in skeptical of how much they have to offer since what I've read here....
PxD 2 yrs 9/16.  Failed all treatment. 9/11/18: excision, grafting & implant Dr Karpman MtnView Ca, AMS CX 18cm + 3-1cm RTEs.
Pump failed.  2/11/20 Dr Karpman installed Titan 22cm +1cm RTE.

PeetyPeet

Thanks again for your input everyone.

As the doc will start with my own experiences in the UK, it will look mainly at healthcare in the UK and therefore, at first at least, I'd be interested to hear from UK sufferers. All stories and testimonials, regardless of country of origin, are useful however. If you would like to tell me your experiences by all means PM me. I will be putting similar shout outs on FT in due time.

I may venture out of the UK depending on where the evidence trail leads me. But that would increase the cost of the film considerably and that's something I have to bear in mind.

Cheers

Peety

Nervous

This sounds like a great idea PeetyPeet.

I know I'm only in the early stages (hopefully it won't progress much!!!!) but I'd help out if I could.

I think this should be so much more publicised! The stupid things my friends do with their penises...

Is your name from The Thick Of It?

PeetyPeet

Thanks Nervous...I'll be putting shout outs in due course.

Quote from: Nervous on August 24, 2017, 10:30:05 AM
Is your name from The Thick Of It?

Yeah....something like that :)

Paolo

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.

PeetyPeet

No, it will be years in the making. I'm in the research phase at the moment. And then I need to teach myself some graphics / animation software. I have to fit it round my surprisingly busy (but nonetheless thoroughly dull) work and personal life.

I also need to figure out how to get urologists - preferably leading urologists - on board. I'd love to interview at least one, but I need to pique their interest. Initially I thought sending them a rough edit would suffice, but I suspect I need to create some sort of buzz first, In this sense the documentary would be the finale of a grander project.

I'm also wondering if rather than one 1-2 hr film, I initially make several 10-20 min short films intended for youtube etc, 1 for each sub-topic, then edit down into one film at a later date. That feels a little more realistic and manageable. I'd be able to produce at least something sooner this way and get the ball rolling.

Always open to suggestions :)