Auto immune related vitiligo, eczema, IBS

Previous topic - Next topic

Reascot

Hi folks,

I was wondering if anyone else on the forum suffers from vitiligo, eczema, or IBS?
I have all three and they all seem to be related to a poorly functioning immune system.
I also took finasteride for hair loss, but stopped it after my erections stopped. I got back to full erection strength when I started taking Saw Palmetto for hair loss in the hope I wouldn't have side effects. Well a couple of months ago I started getting a pain in the left side of my penis when I was masturbating. I've been to the doctor and he confirmed it's peyronie's. I will get further tests and have started oral medications but it seems due to my immune system peyronie's was always on the cards.
I am 35 years old and married. I'm going to fight peyronie's with all I've got. I'm grateful for this website as it shows me that I'm not alone.  

Tychy

Hey, I have eczema and had IBS / wheat allergy. I also took saw palmetto for my prostate issues, but stopped as I discovered it has nothing to do with the prostate itself.

We most likely have a genetic tendency for autoimmune diseases. It would only be logical to assume increased inflammation and fibrosis are connected to this.  

skunkworks

Yeah eczema and psoriasis.  I personally am 100% certain that Peyronie's is a metabolically influenced autoimmune condition.
This is an emotionally destructive condition, we all have it, let's be nice to each other.

Review of current treatment options by Levine and Sherer]

Christopher1

Liberal aspirin use and a low-lectin diet. Avoid gluten and dairy.
Snake Diet + 5-day fasts + pentox + NeoV's stretching routine + Mito Red Light. Curvature 99% gone.

I also used Todd Capistrant's "Fascial Distortion Model" to help my curvature. Start slowly.

QuackAttack

Reascot,

Your vitiligo, eczema and IBS are signs of a serious gluten intolerance. Do some research on these issues on youtube using Dr. Joel Wallach in the search and you will find out what you need to do to repair your intestinal health.

Tychy

Please note that NSAIDs in long term, like Ibu, Aspirin, paracetamol, diclofenac, carry the serious side effect of gastritis and ulcers. Consult your doctor before you start a long term course of this. I went two years with therapy resistant gastritis because of this. It was a vicious cycle of PPI and wheat allergy. It only stopped when changing diet and going cold turkey from all NSAIDs, besides topical diclofenac.  

WhatNext81

In regards to Gluten intolerance, doesn't one have to be diagnosed with Celiac Disease to know?
Please go to PROFILE then FORUM PROFILE to replace this text with your profile info such as age, date of onset, symptoms, treatments tried, etc

Tychy

Well there is full blown celiac, you'd need a camera up your stomach for that and a biopsy. Also IgA testing, but it has a high false detection rate.

Stop eating gluten for two weeks, see how bowel movements go. After that eat only white bread for two weeks.
That's how I've done it and what my doc told me. My diarrhea totally disappeared after stopping wheat, but I can eat other grains. So it's specific to wheat and more of a regular allergy, i suppose.  

WhatNext81

I had a colonoscopy and an endoscopy years back to rule out a number of things. Cealics was tested for as a tissue sample was already taken. I was negative however diet is a complex issue. So many variables on how eating healthy foods together can work together for positive benefits and some combinations can limit how the body breaks them down resulting in less absorbtion of proteins, vitamins, etc. One interesting thing I was recently told was to not drink green tea with meals. If memory serves me well, the body aborbs less iron from the foods. I was told to drink green tea in between meals for maximum benefits. It's not a game changer but interesting nonetheless. I'm altering my diet regardless so I will take heed to your advice.  
Please go to PROFILE then FORUM PROFILE to replace this text with your profile info such as age, date of onset, symptoms, treatments tried, etc

WhatNext81

Reascot,

As far as hair growth products go, have you checked to see if the ones you've tried contain testosterone? I was told by a friend(someone who's been cutting my hair for over a decade)that rogaine(sp?) and a lot of other products can help regrow hair but you lose what you gain when you discontinue the use of it. I hope I get this peyronie's thing under control soon or I might be looking into hair growth products. Stress!!!!  

NeoV

I would definitely try a wheat elimination diet, not just gluten.
They say 70% of our immune system is in our gut, our second brain" which has some 100 million neurons, oddly enough. This was at least, the figures given in Brain Grain and Wheat Belly.

Tychy

Sure, try to eliminate other factors. I'm currently fine with mostly spelt and a bit of rye in my diet. As soon as I stopped wheat, I started to gain weight. I could eat almost like 4000 calories a day and would not gain (except from alcohol) before. Now it's normal. So I think the colon is able to absorb nutrients better now.  

WhatNext81

Interesting on the weight gaining. What types of wheats were you eating that you eliminated from your diet? I've read articles on how it's more important on what you're NOT putting into your body for overall health. Sounds like a classic example in your case.

QuackAttack

If you were consuming 4000 calories a day, where you working out like mad because unless you have Chron's it seems almost impossible that you could consume that many calories and not gain weight. It is true that once you eliminate wheat the villi will heal once gluten is eliminated and you will begin to absorb. With Chron's you absorb almost nothing. There are no fat people with Chron's. Chron's is the the worst of gluten intolerance conditions.

Tychy

Basically daily diarrhea with some relief on few days. I stopped eating much, because it increased bowel frequency. Also don't have hunger feeling anymore, which is sad. I just run into headaches if I skip and forget meals.
I knew someone with Chron's. No bleeding for me. Docs said it's stress. It wasn't, though it was definitely worsened by that. I accepted that the time and went on. Blood work was perfectly fine (I always joked they should calibrate their lab equipment with my blood).
I think it first started after I finished Accutane (isotretonoin) treatment when I was 17.

As soon as I cut out all wheat based products, diarrhea completely stopped (except for yearly flu). I still have some bloating, which is caused by carbohydrates, but nothing major.
That's why I'm suggesting a wheat allergy (similar to pollen allergies) instead of gluten intolerance, because other grains also contain gluten (but not the one specific to wheat).
I also respond to latex exposure with red skin. Dentist latex mouth stuff and examinations with latex gloves at the mucus membranes cause burning.

I'm just glad I found the reason. I was really fine on low carb high fat, but it wasn't sustainable in my environment.

@OP: I did take long term pumpkin extract for prostate issues. Finasteride is a 5a-reductase inhibitor, which is responsible for DHT creation. Pumpkin seeds are believed to bind DHT. I also took Saw Palmetto before peyronies.

Edit: So, I've looked around a bit about Accutane and erectile dysfunction / depression / bowel problems.
There is a definite link between Accutane and inflammatory bowel diseases, as the pharma company got sued multiple times over this.

It also seems there is some research on serotonin and dopamine interaction. It also seems to reduce neuroplasticity and induce cell apoptosis in the orbitofrontal cortex, which was assessed by PET scans. The orbitofrontal cortex seems to be responsible for decision making and the reward system (including sexual arousal), but is otherwise poorly understood.
Anecdotally there are reports of Accutane usage and diminished libido. Meaning, on the physical side everything is okay (nighttime erections), but as dopamine is responsible for libido, daytime erections are impaired (or impossible). This also seems to overlap with dopamine modulating medication, for example for ADHD, but mileage does vary from person to person. Also depression from the serotonin and dopamine reduction does influence libido, of course. There seems to be some epigenetic influence going on here, because some people have persisting symptoms even after discontinuing Accutane for a long time.

Who the heck does prescribe this stuff to adolescents? :-|

downunderverse

I suffered from severe acne for a long time from the age of about 13. I also developed chronic dermatitis around the same age which became quite extreme in my early 20s. I also had digestive problems through my teen years that I didn't really get under control until I started investigating the cause of my increasingly worse seborrheic dermatitis. My Peyronie's had nothing to do with any injury through force as far as I'm aware. I simply woke up one morning with morning wood at an angle of 15-20 degrees and in a fair amount of pain. I have a long history with inflammatory issues and I'm convinced that all these conditions are related.
Please go to PROFILE then FORUM PROFILE to replace this signature line text with your profile info such as
age, date of onset, symptoms, treatments tried,
relationship status, etc
** You will waste less time and get better answers **

Unsnarl

I have eczema and IBS. The eczema I have had since I was a child and it has improved a lot as I've got older. I believe the IBS has been caused by a combination of anxiety / stress and certain foods. I have removed a lot of dairy products from my diet and this seems to have helped somewhat.

QuackAttack

Unsnarl,

Eczema and IBS are due to a gluten intolerance. If you rid yourself of gluten you will get rid of the Eczema and your IBS will slowly heal. So, no Barley, Wheat and Rye which all contain gluten and no Oats which contains gliadin which is essentially the same kind of protein as gluten. Watch this from Dr. Joel Wallach.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXhxbAYUSss

PeetyPeet

I have eczema and also scalp psoriasis. Both started during puberty, the psioriasis came first. To the best of my knowledge I don't have IBS or a gluten intolerance, although starchy foods, (expecially bread) can give me really smelly flatulence.

I recently started taking dietary supplements good for bones - calcium, K2 and zinc. Both ezcema and psioriasis improved substantially.

ethanolmos

[Full quote removed - You realize this is a Peyronies site?]

The thing helping me with acne is manuka honey. You'll get it under comtrol at least. Though it's not cure but it will prevent outbreaks/flares.
Here's an article on it https://diligentchef.com/best-manuka-honey/