Newly diagnosed and frustrated but ready to do what is necessary.

Previous topic - Next topic

Cruelaprilfools

Hello, I am a 48yr old living in MD. Average (larger) build, non smoker, casual drinker. The weird pain started around April Fools Day if you can believe that. The first thing I noticed was how tight I was when I tried to stretch my penis. It felt like a hard rubber band and it wouldn't go out as far as before.  And it was sore. Then I began noticing that it hurt when flaccid and if I rolled over on it sometimes in bed, or when the dog jumped on my lap and stepped there, and then the pain began with an erection. Google led me to this site (and others), but I don't remember having any trauma, so I took Advil and tried to ignore it until it went away. After about a month, I was worried and went to a urologist. He did a quick palp exam and pronounced that I had this disease. He said the plaque seemed fairly extensive and that someday I'll probably need a prosthesis! Talk about freaking someone out! Then he said they don't treat the condition at their office, and he referred me to someone on another team who deals with it alot and would help me. Waited 2 weeks. Saw the "expert" and he confirmed same diagnosis, no ultrasound done because I had no signs of curvature (yet). He said in the acute early phase, he prescribes Celebrex for the inflammation and pain. 30 days, and another 30 if needed. Asked me to avoid sex and any other forced activity and return in 4 months. That's it. Fast forward 2 weeks and sure enough I am beginning to bend upward just like he said would eventually happen. I emailed them and asked if he would change or add to my treatment due to the bend happening. I got this very detailed response back from the doctor; "There have been studies of many compounds for peer onie's disease over the years and historically many of us have used these compounds.  To name a few, vitamin E, L-arginine, pentoxyfylline, L-carnitine, potaba, colchicine, intralesional injections of verapamil or interferon.  The American Urological Association has recently come out with clear updated guidelines that clearly state that none of these medications have been proven to be effective in reducing curvature or pain associated with peyronie's disease.  The only recommended oral medical treatment for Peyronie's disease is NSAIDs for pain which I have been prescribed.  Besides surgery the only other FDA approved treatment of peyronie's disease is intralesional xiaflex.  I injected with verapamil for many years but it is no longer standard of care.  I understand that you want to be proactive and that this is distressing, but unfortunately celebrex is the only thing I would recommend at this time until the curvature stabilizes."  SO, I have a wait and see approach while this thing gets progressively worse? Not happy, but this doctor is a blue star with Aetna and has good reviews, but I will continue to read these forums and try some conservative, natural treatment options that may help me, like turmeric, eat more fruits and veggies, watch the fried foods and meats, etc. Suggestions on where to start please? So much info here it's overwhelming. Thanks

KAC

Sounds just about like my experience although about 5 years ago. My curve eventually went to about 60 degrees-maybe more, and then, after verapamil shots and various things recommended on this site like pentox and VED (the shots were not recommended but I tried anyway) I stabilized at around 35-40 degrees.  I've have not noticed changes for about 3 years.  I'm trying to do traction now, but don't always have the resolve to stick with it.  At best I do it for a few weeks, then get crazy busy at work, and stop.

But I think the thing about a prosthesis is bull. It might depend on your partner.  I've never had any problems having sex, and it doesn't bother my wife, though I try to be careful about doing things or positions that might injure me again.

Anyway sorry.  I think the worst part of all of it was that I got so stressed out and worried, when the truth is my sex life has improved because of good communication and making a priority of it.