Starvation induces autophagy of hypertrophic scar fibroblasts

Previous topic - Next topic

skunkworks

Starvation induces autophagy of hypertrophic scar fibroblasts

[ABSTRACT]AIM: To investigate the starvation-induced autophagy of  hypertrophic scar fibroblasts. METHODS: Primary human fibroblasts from hypertrophic scars were isolated and the fibroblasts in logarithmic growth phase were cultured with amino acid-free Earle's balanced salt solution (EBSS) instead of the DMEM medium. The cells were collected at the time points of 0 h, 1 h, 2 h and 3 h after EBSS culture. The expression of microtubule-associated protein 1 light chain 3 (LC-3) and autophagy-related protein Beclin-1 was detected by Western blotting and qRT-PCR. Autopagosomes in fibroblasts were observed by electron microscopy and monodansylcadaverine (MDC) staining. RESULTS: The expression of LC3 and Beclin-1 increased at 1 h after starvation, reached to the highest level at 2 h after starvation, and then began to decline, which were still higher than that in control group. Compared with control group, the autopagosomes were observed in the fibroblasts under fluorescence microscope and election microscope at 2 h after starvation. CONCLUSION: Autophagy in fibroblasts of hypertrophic scars can be induced by starvation, which may be related to the formation of hypertrophic scars.[ABSTRACT]AIM: To investigate the starvation-induced autophagy of  hypertrophic scar fibroblasts. METHODS: Primary human fibroblasts from hypertrophic scars were isolated and the fibroblasts in logarithmic growth phase were cultured with amino acid-free Earle's balanced salt solution (EBSS) instead of the DMEM medium. The cells were collected at the time points of 0 h, 1 h, 2 h and 3 h after EBSS culture. The expression of microtubule-associated protein 1 light chain 3 (LC-3) and autophagy-related protein Beclin-1 was detected by Western blotting and qRT-PCR. Autopagosomes in fibroblasts were observed by electron microscopy and monodansylcadaverine (MDC) staining. RESULTS: The expression of LC3 and Beclin-1 increased at 1 h after starvation, reached to the highest level at 2 h after starvation, and then began to decline, which were still higher than that in control group. Compared with control group, the autopagosomes were observed in the fibroblasts under fluorescence microscope and election microscope at 2 h after starvation.

CONCLUSION: Autophagy in fibroblasts of hypertrophic scars can be induced by starvation, which may be related to the formation of hypertrophic scars.
This is an emotionally destructive condition, we all have it, let's be nice to each other.

Review of current treatment options by Levine and Sherer]

NeoV

Very interesting. What does starvation refer to in this context?

skunkworks

Yeah I am going to have to reacquaint myself with a few things re cell biology from university then I'll follow up on this one and how it applies to our situation.
This is an emotionally destructive condition, we all have it, let's be nice to each other.

Christopher1

I have practiced intermittent fasting (IF) for years.

It did absolutely nothing to my scar.
Snake Diet + 5-day fasts + pentox + NeoV's stretching routine + Mito Red Light. Curvature 99% gone.

I also used Todd Capistrant's "Fascial Distortion Model" to help my curvature. Start slowly.

Lester7

Seems like someone on here was trying this about a year ago? If you give a search may be able to find it.

skunkworks

Might have been me, and that was just fasting. It could be that starvation sufficient to induce autophagy of scar tissues requires far harsher calorie deprivation for much longer periods.