My Story - Modified Corporoplasty Surgery

Previous topic - Next topic

Joeshmo

I hope my story will help others whom are considering or have begun the process of Peyronies Disease correction via modified corporoplasty surgery.

My saga started long ago, when I was very young, I am now 54. As long as I can remember I had a 5-7.5 degree curve to the left. I lived with it, zero complaints from me nor my partners. Somewhere about age 49 I noticed my curve started to increase, within 2-3 months it reached an approximate maximum of 40 degrees. At first in denial but then reality set I had a real problem. I did some research finding only topical verapamil, vitamin E, and a straightening contraption. Followed the instructions and applied the verapamil for 5 months, no changes of course. I hadn't found this website and the thought of surgery terrified me. I settled into life with virtually no sex. I was embarrassed and didn't want to talk about it. My wife was wonderful, very understanding. Having gone from sex 10-14 times per week down to 1-2 times per month, it was a real bummer however through it all our marriage is very, very strong.

About 4 months ago I decided it was time to restart my efforts. I discovered the release of the drug (everyone knows) Xiaflex. There is hope! I researched and identified a local doctor (Scottsdale, AZ) whom was trained and certified in the application of Xiaflex. Within my first visit he explained Xiaflex was not a good choice but brought up the successes of plication surgery. At first I was put off by the thought of surgery but after his reassurances, discussions with my wife, and more research I decided to schedule it had to be done. My fear was so strong I backed out of the first date but immediately set up a new date a month further out.

I had my surgery on May 3 at 1:30pm. The actual surgery took approximately 1.5 hours and then another hour to wake completely, we ended up leaving the hospital at 430pm. Once I had awoken, the pain from the cutting was not bad at all. However, I had a burning/stinging sensation which was horrible. I came to find out, for me at least, the burning/stinging was due to having to urinate. In other words, once I urinated (which was more scary than painful) the burning all but disappeared. The color after surgery was light purple however as hours progressed it turned near black along the stitches but remained the light medium purple elsewhere. At 24 hours out, the pain is limited to the upper half at and above the stitches while the color may be a bit worse. Finally, I have slighting bleeding along the stitches but nothing significant. I am told the appearance and color may grow worse over the coming days, I can't imagine.

All and all, not a bad experience at all considering the location and potential benefit. I will provide another update in a day or two.

Update
It is May 6 and things seem to be going well. I have no significant pain but constant discomfort outside of when ice is applied.  The wound did (barely) bleed the first 36 hours but subsided morning of the 5th. The color is the most disturbing but has improved a bit. Immediately at the cut the remains a deep purple and then a mild, inflamed looking red elsewhere. There are spots of what looks like bruising indicated by a medium purple but that is also improving.

JohnWright

Congratulations! Hooooray for your own peace of mind and better days to come. Doctors report 95% success rate with this, mine was a success. Just follow post-op surgery directions explicitly. Good self-care to prevent infections and no using the tool until the appointed time -- there's a reason!

Best to you.

John

Christopher1

Good for you.

Plenty of rest - and a balanced diet with abundant protein for healing.

Good luck!
Snake Diet + 5-day fasts + pentox + NeoV's stretching routine + Mito Red Light. Curvature 99% gone.

I also used Todd Capistrant's "Fascial Distortion Model" to help my curvature. Start slowly.

Joeshmo

I am progressing seemingly well and find parallels in my day by day changes versus that of others. I must admit, as it seems with many others, this is an emotionally draining surgery. I now have concerns as the doctor I chose (not mentioned on this website) doesn't seem to have any interest in my progress nor my concerns such as the level of pain, swelling, and the appearance of the scar, the doctor himself has yet to call. The nurses and PA's have answered my questions however I have expressed I do not remain fully comfortable with their response. Further, I have realized no postop information was provided to explain what is normal, what is not, and any symptoms for which I should be concerned.  Yesterday morning I thought I may be running a temp (as it turns out I wasn't) and was told to visit the emergency room, they didn't have time to see me. Rather annoying considering they have yet to establish a follow-up date nor have I been seen since the surgery.

Secondly, I have no post-op care instructions as related to a successful outcome, something I believe is prevalent in the cases I have studied within this forum. I don't know if I should be doing any exercises, or wrapping and/or "positioning" (both suggested in many cases) when wearing normal attire or at home in gym shorts.

I don't know if my expectations are too high however I feel if a doctor is not well prepared to take extra time postop he shouldn't be performing Peyronies Disease related surgeries.

I would appreciate feedback from whomever is willing to provide it. This being my 6th day postop, my pain under the skin at the rolled up area and the urethra is greater than all previous days however I think changes are to be expected. The outward appearance has notably improved while the level of pain is not extreme, simply uncomfortable. I have had soft or semi-erections the past 3 nights and man it hurts. I placed an ice pack in a cooler at my bed and use it as they occur. Finally, with these erections it seems I am definitely straight however it is hard to tell given the erection is not "full". I have noticed when soft I am not "hanging" completely straight, however not something I think I should be concerned with.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

JohnWright

When I get home from work this evening I will attempt to find the post-op instructions from my surgeon, I'll scan those into a PDF, and try to PM them to you.

John

Joeshmo

Thank you John, I would appreciate that.

Joeshmo

With this 12th day of May, into the 9th day, the inner urethra pain has started to subside, such a relief!! I continue to ice every few hours primarily as it almost the only time I am not in pain. The color is all but back to normal everywhere but a few small spots on the head while the suture area remains a dark colored, thin line scab. The doctor finally called me last night, it is about time! We had a good discussion and agreed all is progressing well. I spoke to him about what I believe is nerve pain (a feeling along the surface that feels like intense sunburn), he indicated it would drift away in time and was completely normal. Had my strongest erection last night but out of fear of increased pain, and that the surgery may have been a failure, I quickly threw a few bags of frozen peas on to prevent any further growth. I can see things look straight when semi-rigid however my primary fear the surgery wasn't a success remains strong, I will try to overcome my fear tonight and let it grow to full mast.

I am feeling pretty good about my decision at this point, I pray the surgery was a success.

BTW: Big thanks to JohnW, his selfless willingness to counsel is well appreciated.

Christopher1

Keep up the animal protein and vitamins. Very important for healing post-op.
Snake Diet + 5-day fasts + pentox + NeoV's stretching routine + Mito Red Light. Curvature 99% gone.

I also used Todd Capistrant's "Fascial Distortion Model" to help my curvature. Start slowly.