Do Erections hamper healing?

Previous topic - Next topic

CircleKnight

Hello all, I might be in the wrong forum, but I was curious if others thought erections might be hampering healing (in the acute phase). The pain for me is non-existent when I'm flaccid but always returns whenever I achieve an erection. If theoretically I always keep my penis in a flaccid state for a long period of time (and of course there will be some scarring there), will it be better for my healing progression? But what happens the day I get an erection, will the fibers placed to cover the wound rupture and be displaced?

skunkworks

Personally I would say it is quite the opposite. Erections will help healing in all stages of Peyronie's, unless you literally have fresh stitches, a bleeding wound or internal bleeding in the penis.

First is the influx of oxygenated blood, hugely important for healing and even just maintaining a healthy penis full stop. If you go too long without getting an erection, you start to get penile fibrosis which can mean you lose erectile function altogether after a while.

Second is the pressure/tension. We usually talk about pressure/tension with regards to using a traction device or VED, but an erection does the same thing to a lesser extent.

A member sent me this study showing in vitro reduction of fibrosis and cytokines which cause fibrosis when traction is applied.
http://www.jurology.com/article/S0022-5347(16)02769-5/abstract

So in my opinion erections are vital for healing, even if they hurt a bit.
This is an emotionally destructive condition, we all have it, let's be nice to each other.

Review of current treatment options by Levine and Sherer]

CircleKnight

Honestly, thank you so much for your very informative reply. I see what you mean, and this was the push I needed to order a traction device. Your description helped paint a very informative picture of what is going on internally, and I value my erections so much more, pain and all!