Broken. Twice!

Previous topic - Next topic

Jonny T

Hi, I was prescribed by the nhs a SOMAerect Stf but after 4 weeks the handle broke. iMedicare UK were very good and sent me a replacement, the thing is, the replacement pump has now broken. Not the handle this time but something inside the pump. Hopefully iMEDicare will send another one out. Are they prone to breaking or have I been really unlucky?
I wasn't using excessive force or rapid pumps, just slow and controlled.
I'm just interested if anybody else has experienced this?
Cheers.

PeetyPeet

Hi Jonny T,

You're not alone. I've gone through 3 or 4 pump heads for the somaerect. You can avoid breaking the handle by placing your index finger between the head and the handle when pumping.

I can guess which part has gone inside. It'll mostly likely be the top of the plastic rod that runs the length of head, connecting the handle to the vacuum element. There's only a small piece of plastic there taking the force of the pump. The somaerect would be much more robust if the rod and handle were made out of metal.

You could try the following: during pumping as you feel the tension growing, move your finger behind the pump, further up the head, getting closer to where the handle joins. Keep pumping and soon you will get a feel for what is 'breaking point' and don't go beyond that. You might not get the same level of vacuum as previously.

Jonny T

Thank you for the reply.
After the first time the handle broke and received the replacement I was more aware of where my hand was on the handle.
I was disappointed the the first time it broke, but they soon replaced the pump for me, but really it shouldn't break that easily. There really wasn't alot of pressure.

Old Man

Guys:

I have no idea why your pump handles keeps breaking off or your pump head fails. I have been using a SomaCorrect three cylinder VED from Augusta Medical Systems, Augusta, GA for about 20 years with no problem (Really, it is the same device!) Have never had a problem with my unit. I used this VED almost daily for one solid years of VED therapy in my case of Peyronies Disease.

Strongly suggest that those members who have purchased an Augusta VED and experienced broken pump handle or pump, that you email the company at this address:  www.augustams.com and ask for help with the problem. The VEDs should not be breaking as much as it seems on our forum.

Let me know if I can help anyone with contacting the Augusta Company. I assume that you guys are registering the warranty with the source you bought it from or directly to Augusta in the USA. The warranties have changed recently so make sure your problem is covered by any warranty.

Best regards, Old Man
Age 92. Peyronies Disease at age 24, Peyronies Disease after
stage four radical prostatectomy in 1995, Heart surgery 2004 with three bypasses/three stents.
Three more stents in 2016. Hiatal hernia surgery 2017 with 1/3 stomach reduction. Many other surgeries too.

RadioActive

I first obtained my Soma Correct pump around summer 2012. It worked well and was a great reassurance, but the pump handle failed just over a year later (just outside the warranty).

I paid for a new handle (around £60) and have been using it gently (and somewhat infrequently) ever since.

Now the same thing has happened again - the weak, mildly pathetic plastic internal catch has snapped.

-- Happy to insert an image or two here of my disassembled pump head, but I don't think that's possible. --

I've been told by seller there's no way to repair it, the design hasn't changed since I first bought it.

They HAVE apparently extended the warranty to 5 years from 1 though.

I now need my 3rd vacuum pump, but am looking around for a longer-term investment than the otherwise ok Soma Correct device I secured from imedicare.co.uk