DIY Hyperthermic Device - Heat Therapy

Previous topic - Next topic

LeeBee69

Chaps,

Here's the details of a device I have built to provide heat to the plaque.

I will be buying a skin thermometer to work out exactly how hot this gets, however I would guess it increases skin temperature a few degrees. As I've written in another post I am interested in how the wavelength of light (650-660nm) could also help however I'll stick to heat in this post.

This is super obvious, but please be careful. Test your device. Leave it on for 10 minutes and put on your skin, say the inner wrist or some such sensitive area. Do not make and shove it straight on there.

It's a pretty simple device almost anyone can build. Here's the component list:

Parts:

• 3W LED - specs below. The exact spec is essential otherwise you'll need to start using resistors. It just so happens that this LED spec perfectly matches the output of 2 AAA batteries. PM for where you can buy them, or just search for that spec and you will find them.
  • 2 * AAA battery holder with switch.
  • 1mm (or so) electrical wire
  • 2 widths of heat shrink tubing (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heat-shrink_tubing) - optional.
  • Electrical tape
  • Tin foil
  • A large coin or metal disk plate
  • Solder
The idea is that the LED - this one specified is reasonably high powered and has a heat sink - puts out a good amount of heat. The coin or disk acts as an additional heat sink both storing and distributing the heat over a wider area. In reality I only need a small heating element and the light is unnecessary...but LEDs are cheap and easy to come by.

Assembly:

I first solder the red and black wires to the LED terminals. I then take some heat shrink tubing and shrink it over the terminals. This is simply to stop the LED terminals touching the metal plate and shorting out. Wether you need to do this will depend on your LED, mine has terminals that project beyond the bottom. You could simply wrap electrical tape around them but I had the tubing and wanted it to be robust. You can shrink the tubing using a hot hairdryer or over a hob, be careful not melt the wires or yourself!

Take a metal disk or coin. I used an Australian 20c coin. You want something large enough and thick enough to cover the plaque and hold the heat. The surface is uneven so I wrapped it in tin foil to get a good contact between the surface and the metal heat sink base of the LED. A metal disk from a hardware store may work better. I then took a piece of heat shrink tubing from the assorted tubing pack that I have that fitted snugly over the coin. I cut to just greater than the width of the coin. I then pushed the coin into the tubing and carefully pushed the LED with wires through. See the pictures. Once I got the LED centred on the coin I applied heat to shrink and push the LED down onto the surface. You could use electrical tape here, but I think the tubing method will give a better contact and be more robust.

I then used a craft knife blade to cut around the LED bulb, keeping the LED body under the tubing. This is as I want to experiment with the light. The LED at full battery power gets too hot for the skin. I will look into some form of shield to go over it. If you are only interested in the heat then you may not even bother to cut around the bulb. It should be ok from overheating, but do consider this.

Connect the wires up to the battery unit, solder & tape.

I have a battery recharger and charge the batteries and use. You will find that you need to recharge regularly. The heat drops reasonably quickly if the batteries are not well charged.

Turn on and put on the plaque with the light shining outwards. Put in your shorts and amuse your partner with Rudolph the Reindeer jokes.

LED spec:

- 3W High power red led beads.
- 45-60LM
- Wavelength:655-660nm.
- Light Color:red plant grow.
- Forward Voltage:2.2-2.6V.
- Power:3W.
- Angel:120-140 degree.
- Using current: IF=750MA.
- Working temperature: -20 degrees - 70 degrees.
- Storage temperature: -30 degrees - 80 degrees

Any questions, please shout.

I'd love to hear about improvements or your own attempts. I've only just started to use it, so no results yet.

Cheers,
LeeBee

LeeBee69

Here's one more pic...of the light capability (I could only post 4 images in one post).

That's my thumb btw.  

LeeBee69

I'm ordering one of these:
Link to commercial site deleted by moderator!!!

I'll let you know how it works out...

LeeBee

LeeBee69

Sorry Moderator!

Here's an image instead...hope that's ok.

It's a 5 x 10 cm Polyester filament and Micro Metal Conductive Fiber folded into a protective Polyimide Film. Apply 5VDC - 12VDC and it heats up. Suggested use includes hand warmer. I'm planning on embedding this in a sleeve of tubular bandage. Possibly with some elastic stitched into one end that goes around the testes to hold in place.

LeeBee69

OK, so far so good. This will work and is going to be a load cheaper than heat pads.

I'm perfecting the device and will post pictures soon.

I'm using 3 AA 1.2V batteries to power and therefore heat the electronic heating pad (pic in the previous post) up to a very soothing warmth. I have folded it in half, trimmed the edges and wrapped in an elastic bandage. It works particularly well with my Penismaster traction device. I can place over the top of the plaque and under the rods. I'm working on a wearable approach without the traction device for wearing out and about. Also a non-battery version with a power adaptor from an electronics shop.

I've noticed that the heat from the pad makes traction way more "comfortable". In that without it - and I am really not overdoing it - I can feel the plaque ever so stretching. You guys who have done this will know, it is a strange sensation, not pain or discomfort, but the heat seems to remove that. I guess it is aiding the stretching of the collagen.

Cheers,
LeeBee

NeoV

This is awesome!! Not sure if it beats the famous rice sock method, but this one is at least a sustained source of heat :) I can see this being very effective, since I have to get up and use the microwave every 20 or 30 minutes with the sock.

LeeBee69

OK, I haven't posted on this for some time as I have been testing it out and it's been Christmas and all.

I'm really pleased with the outcome. I used the 5 x 10 cm Polyester filament and Micro Metal Conductive Fibre pad pictured in the previous post. PM me for a link to a commercial site. They are less than $10.

I folded the pad in half, so it is 5 * 5. This is a better shape and size for placing on the penis - for my mid-dorsal plaque at least. I trimmed the edges and put soft surgical tape around it. (see pictures).

I then took some elastic bandage for the arm, cut a length twice the length of the folded pad and inserted the pad in there and folded over. This gives some protection and comfort. One side has one layer of fabric the other three...so different heat depending on which side you use. I taped up the end with more surgical tape, so easy to remove and wash. (see pictures)

I then went to an electronics store and bought a 4-way battery holder. And a variable output DC power supply. Some electrical male/female connectors - essentially a female connector that will fit the power supply and an equivalent male connector for the battery pack.

I wired the pad to the female electrical connector and the male connector to the battery pack. I'm using 4 * 1.2v rechargeable batteries. The power supply is set to 4.5v. I played with different settings - 3v & 5v and 4.5v gives a really good heat for this pad. Your mileage may vary depending on the pad.

And that's it, I now have an electric pad with home and portable power supplies! It's a winner!

The batteries run down pretty quick, but you get a couple of hours of good heat out them before a recharge.

If you want more details or help building your own, let me know.

Cheers,
LeeBee

skunkworks

Looks good! What temperature does it reach?
This is an emotionally destructive condition, we all have it, let's be nice to each other.

Review of current treatment options by Levine and Sherer]

LeeBee69

Hmm, good question. I only have an ear thermometer that goes up to 42C. If I press it against the pad it goes over that. I really need a skin thermometer...I've been meaning to buy one. The product info says it goes to 65C, I would guess at 12V maximum power rating.

With the variable DC power supply I could go down one setting to 3V and it is just warm. I have it at 4.5V now and with the 3 layers of fabric I would call it "pleasantly warm to toasty" - I do not see any lasting or patchy redness when removing. At 5V I found it too hot. You can also add more padding which diffuses the heat.

Are you thinking of the research that showed something like 41C - 43C was a good range?

Cheers,
LeeBee

Paolo

LeeBee69, I kook forward to you posting results, be careful though, you don't want to end up with a hot dog!  ;D
Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.

skunkworks

Quote from: LeeBee69 on January 11, 2017, 06:17:34 AM
Are you thinking of the research that showed something like 41C - 43C was a good range?

Yep exactly. Can't remember the exact figures but that sounds close.
This is an emotionally destructive condition, we all have it, let's be nice to each other.

Review of current treatment options by Levine and Sherer]

LeeBee69

My Penismaster glans chamber valve broke and I have sent back, when I get it back I plan to use the pad in combo with traction - I've done this before it broke and it seemed to starting to give some small but noticeable results. And I'll use pre-VED when I get my unit.

@Paolo - Haha. Yes indeed! I'll definitely post.

@Skunkworks - I'll get a skin thermometer and find out. I've been meaning to buy one for my cold thermogenesis adventures!

Cheers,
LeeBee

Paolo

LeeBee69, I look forward to an update on this, presume you will post sometime during February  :)
Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.

LeeBee69

Hey Paolo,

I have a replacement glans chamber from the Penismaster guys in the post. When I get it, I'll post a pic of how that looks.

The pad gave out. I haven't had time to work out why. I was bending it in half so maybe that. I have 4 more arriving this week and will continue to experiment. I need to double check their power info and make sure I am not burning them out but pumping too much juice through them.

So in summary...no update as such...still perfecting!

Cheers,
LeeBee

ConcernedandWorried

Did anyone ever try to reproduce this? It looks useful.

I'm considering making one myself, however, I'd like to use a large chinese-made power-bank instead of a small AA battery holder, to get 8 hours of heat.  

TonySa

I've found hothands to be convenient, inexpensive, in the recommended heat range, and can be worn all day long between two pairs of underwear or w self adhesive wrap.
PxD 2 yrs 9/16.  Failed all treatment. 9/11/18: excision, grafting & implant Dr Karpman MtnView Ca, AMS CX 18cm + 3-1cm RTEs.
Pump failed.  2/11/20 Dr Karpman installed Titan 22cm +1cm RTE.

JS1991

Tony, you never feel as though HotHands get too hot and you have to adjust them? Do you think in the acute phase it could be an issue?
Do your homework before attempting a prolonged fast. JS1991 Timeline - Peyronies Society Forums (updated)

TonySa

I didn't find it too hot, but I've always tolerated high heat for physical ailments.  If you do, try wearing them between two pairs of tight briefs so it's not directly against the skin.
PxD 2 yrs 9/16.  Failed all treatment. 9/11/18: excision, grafting & implant Dr Karpman MtnView Ca, AMS CX 18cm + 3-1cm RTEs.
Pump failed.  2/11/20 Dr Karpman installed Titan 22cm +1cm RTE.

ConcernedandWorried

Today I managed to unknowingly (because of the pleasant numbness of the heat) pinch my flaccid penis in an awkward position due to the shifting of the pack and the jock strap I use to keep it in place. Now I'm in pain. Hope it doesn't materialize as anything. Watch out, guys.  

JS1991

Do your homework before attempting a prolonged fast. JS1991 Timeline - Peyronies Society Forums (updated)

mith76

Guys, be careful of putting the hothands directly on your penis, I think it kinda caused the skin to peel off in some areas of my penis. Besides that, I think it's a really good treatment.
Please go to PROFILE then FORUM PROFILE to replace this signature line text with your profile info such as
age, date of onset, symptoms, treatments tried,
relationship status, etc
** You will waste less time and get better answers **

Paolo

I got myself a cotton bag (full of Cherry stones) from Lidl dirt cheap that you put in a microwave for 20-30 seconds, very nice too  ;D
Paul.

mith76

Does anyone know whether heat is effective for calcified plaques? Also, how can you tell whether plaque is calcified?
Please go to PROFILE then FORUM PROFILE to replace this signature line text with your profile info such as
age, date of onset, symptoms, treatments tried,
relationship status, etc
** You will waste less time and get better answers **

projectpd

@LeeBee69

Surely the special benefit of an LED would be that it could be used to directly heat the plaque with IR , rather than providing contact heat as a side effect? (and providing red light might be helpful also).

Heat transmitted by contact (conduction) from the heatsink would be partly carried away by the blood vessels in the skin, so the tunica would always be at a lower temperature than the skin in contact with the device. In other words the tunica temperature that could be maintained would be considerably lower than what it's possible tolerate for the skin- possibly not in a range that would be effective- after all, otherwise hot baths should be effective.  I would like to try this device but used the other way up, with the LED pointing at the plaque and mounted some distance away from the skin so that there is no skin contact, and also if there could be some air flow to cool the skin from any build up of hot air and conduction effects. if the distance was adjustable we could also then easily adjust to get a comfortable intensity/temperature.
For mounting purposes maybe we can mount it on the rods if using an extender.
Age 57, Onset 2010, 2" shortening, shrinking and angulation of glans, weaker erections, 30 degree bend. Mild pain few months, but far from worst symptom. Tried many ideas, not just from here, but not consistently. Moderate improvement, maybe 40%

Happy Salesguy

Well, here is it, March of 2024. Does anyone have any updates on this topic? I'm about to begin traction therapy (RestoreX) for Peyronie's, mainly for shortening, and I'm very interested in heat as an adjunct therapy.
Happy Salesguy: Happily married, happily retired, sexually active, penis 2" shorter! Peyronies Disease diagnosed 2012, just getting around to treating it. Recently started Tadalafil, starting therapeutic ultrasound, RestoreX this week.