Betamethasone injections for pain

Previous topic - Next topic

Thisismyusername

I spoke to Dr Lue on the phone about my symptoms and he suggested betamethasone injections into the tunica at the site of pain.  He says he has had a lot of success with this treatment.  The betamethasone is mixed with marcaine and injected once every two weeks for four sessions.

I'm just wondering if anyone here has experience with this treatment or similar treatments.  I'm unsure of whether or not I should pursue this treatment for my pain or not.  I'm wary of a needle going into my penis at the painful spot and of the potential for side effects from a steroid injection.  

Three years ago after I hurt myself I had pain for a whole year all day long.  Since then I've had pain only from sexual activity, but the pain lasts for days after sex, and it's enough that sex has lost all enjoyment for me.  I've been having natural improvement since the beginning, but very slowly.  So my choice is to just keep waiting for years and hope for the best, or pursue a treatment which might help, but if I'm unlucky could bring back daily pain.

The other question is, if I do pursue this treatment, do I have my local urologist do it, or do I fly across the country to see Dr Lue four times and pay for it without insurance coverage.  

LWillisjr

It is a corticosteroid. Is this for pain during an erection??
Developed peyronies 2007 - 70 degree dorsal curve
Traction/MEDs/Injections/Surgery 2008 16 years Peyronies free now
My History

Thisismyusername

As I explained, this is for pain during and after sex that lasts for days and has made sex lose all enjoyment for me.  I have hardly had sex for over 3 years now, and when I have, it has not been enjoyable and has caused lots of pain.  

nowhereman

Yeah, I actually did use this stuff for a year and a half on and off. Never had any side effects like skin thinning, though I would be more wary of injecting. But if Dr. Lue said he gets success, worth just going and seeing him once and trying it, as well as letting him inspect you as he is probably better than anyone else you may have seen.

Back when things were horrific for me, I just happened to find a prescription for betamethasone valerate .1% kicking around the house, I used it on my extremely inflamed spot (not peyronies, another strange injury to the dartos that won't heal) and it did seem to take the inflammation down, temporarily. I told my GP it worked, so he wrote me some prescriptions for that. It at least took the edge off, I would use it I think twice a day. then a couple days off every two weeks.

On the ONE good honest penis enlargement forum, guys get PMMA injection, which is injected into the dartos, though it can stick to the outer skin and also buck's fascia, as has been shown when sometimes people need it cut out  :(. A side effect of PMMA is nodules, which countless times is remedied (mostly unsuccessfully) by injecting kenalog into the nodule, which is made up of collagen and the tiny beads of plastic (the PMMA). Anyway, the reason I mention this is because kenalog AFAIK, is a much more powerful steroid, and I haven't seen any horror stories from using it in that manner. And I'd trust Lue 1000x over whoever is injecting the kenalog  :o.

Thisismyusername, have you had ultrasound to diagnose your peyronie's?

Thisismyusername

I decided to schedule an in person with Dr Lue, even though he is on the opposite end of the country and my insurance won't cover it.  I'd rather have Dr Lue examine things in person and ask more questions to determine if the injection is right for me or not, and to do the injections himself given that he has lots of experience doing them and supposedly getting good results.  If he thinks I should try them, I will try to have the courage to do it.  It's honestly hard to believe a simple injection could solve such a serious and complicated problems, but there's some hope it could help.  

I've never had an ultrasound for diagnosis, despite being to many different urologists.  I couldn't get a single one to do it.  I did have an MRI which showed nothing.  From examining my symptoms I think I have diffuse scar tissue throughout the whole penis, but concentrated more on the left side, where I have lost some girth due to some indentations, and have slight curvature.  The left side is where my pain is.

By the way, why do you say that kenalog is a stronger steroid than betamethasone?  I've actually gotten one kenalog shot, which was subcutaneous, running all the day down the left side of my shaft.  It's hard to say if it helped, but even if it did, it caused me 3 weeks of pretty significant pain.  The shot that Dr Lue suggested would be directly into the tunia (but perpendicular to the penis, unlike the other shot which was ran parallel)