Traction preventing healing

Previous topic - Next topic

Dared

It's been a year and a half since my initial injury and Im still in the active stage. Inflammation feels as worse as ever and I don't know why. I've been doing traction around ten months now. So is it possible that the traction is preventing the plaques from stabilizing?  

skunkworks

Acute phase Peyronie's disease management with traction device: a nonrandomized prospective controlled trial with ultrasound correlation. - PubMed - NCBI  -  Acute phase Peyronie's disease management with traction device: a nonrandomized prospective controlled trial with ultrasound correlation.

RESULTS:
The mean curvature decreased from 33° at baseline to 15° at 6 months and 13° at 9 months with a mean decrease 20° (P < 0.05) in the PTT group. VAS score for pain decreased from 5.5 to 2.5 after 6 months (P < 0.05). EF and erection hardness also improved significantly. The percentage of patients who were not able to achieve penetration decreased from 62% to 20% (P < 0.03). In the NIG, deformity increased significantly, stretched flaccid penile length decreased, VAS score for pain increased, and EF and erection hardness worsened. PTT was associated with the disappearance of sonographic plaques in 48% of patients. Furthermore, the need for surgery was reduced in 40% of patients who would otherwise have been candidates for surgery and simplified the complexity of the surgical procedure (from grafting to plication) in one out of every three patients.

CONCLUSIONS:
PTT seems an effective treatment for the AP of Peyronies Disease in terms of pain reduction, penile curvature decrease, and improvement in sexual function.
This is an emotionally destructive condition, we all have it, let's be nice to each other.

Review of current treatment options by Levine and Sherer]

kuaka

Traction or VED or physical manipulation all need to be approached with care.  The whole problem is "perceived" injury, which stimulates "healing", and incorrect "healing".  The purpose of traction/VED/manipulation is to reshape the tunica as the scar/plaque is softened.  Introduction of "new" injury is not something you want.  Nevertheless, properly applied, all of the above can be very important in restoration of penile function.

LWillisjr

My response would be... No, I do not think using traction would prevent your condition from stabilizing.
Developed peyronies 2007 - 70 degree dorsal curve
Traction/MEDs/Injections/Surgery 2008 16 years Peyronies free now
My History

Dared

Kuaka, how easy is it to injure yourself to the point where new scar tissue forms? Will a glancing hit to an erect penis cause scar tissue to form or would it take a more serious injury?  

kuaka

That is the most difficult thing to pre-determine.  The problem is not just injury, but "perceived" injury at the tissue level.  In my opinion, your manipulation efforts should be so that you feel tension against the plaque(s), but not pain.  Everybody has a different threshold of what they consider pain, so it really is difficult to advise one way or the other.  Patience is key though.  Going for rapid progress will likely cause more trouble than it fixes.