Calcium & Magnesium and Penile Fibrosis

Previous topic - Next topic

QuackAttack

I came across this article which is called: Calcium and Magnesium for Post-Finasteride Syndrome Recovery.  A bit different, but it discusses Penile Fibrosis. I would really like to hear from some of the long-timers on this.  While I was never on a Finasteride drug, the fibrosis connection in the penis makes me wonder if there is a way to more effectively attack the fibrosis in Peyronies with high calcium-magnesium supplementation.

John

Calcium and Magnesium for Post-Finasteride Syndrome Recovery – Mr. Free T

blooming

I think we are onto something here about magnesium deficiency. We take better care of our lawn (grass) than we do of ourselves. We take soil samples to identify deficiencies and then treat for the best looking lawn in the neighborhood. We don't do the same for ourselves.

I am a commercial flower grower. Years ago the industry had a problem with Christmas poinsettias of upward curling and edge burning of leaves, interveinal stunting of the leaves and chlorosis (yellowing of leaves between the veins) where in advanced stages was irreversible.  The cure was adding minute traces of molybdenum in the fertilizer.

I have many times quoted Linus Pauling that "disease is deficiency based". I do not subscribe to guilt associated with too much sex/masturbation/etc/etc. (I am not trying to pick a fight). The link from QuackAttack is super and I believe the correct path to investigate further. We consume too much sugar (soda) and refined sugar products in this country and it is portrayed as "part of a balanced diet". Phosphates in soda help eliminate magnesium (we drink no soda), softened water and then reverse osmosis for the ice dispenser is worse yet (my house).

Spring water has natural but low concentrations of magnesium, bottled "Fiji" brand water has 15-17mg per liter. Bottled water from a local distributor has less than 9 mg per liter magnesium.

The imbalance of calcium and magnesium is explained well at this link magnesiumchloride.

On the biochemical level muscle contraction is triggered by calcium ions flowing into muscle cells. To relax the muscle calcium is pumped out again. However, as we age, more and more calcium remains trapped in the muscles and these become more or less permanently contracted, leading to increasing muscle tension and spasms. Together with calcification of the joints, this is the typical rigidity and inflexibility of old age. The higher our intake of calcium relative to magnesium, the faster do we calcify and age. Most of the excess calcium in our diet ends up in our soft tissues . . .

Blooming

PeetyPeet

Yes, very interesting. 'Hardened, shrunken and fibrotic' certainly describes me. I suppose it's time to get on the magnesium.

My only reservation is that the chap behind the article is trying to sell his own book, which makes me mildly suspicious.  

auss1emike

This is very interesting.
I am not a long timer only being diagnosed several weeks ago. I am using Magnesium Citrate which was advised by my local health shop as a better alternative to Magnesium Chloride. When I asked for Magnesium Chloride they directed me to the Citrate version saying it would be the same but better on the digestive system.

We have also been giving a Magnesium supplement to one of our daughters to help with a nervous anxiety problem she was born with. The results have been exceptional.

I have noticed an overall improvement in many facets of my health including eyesight, concentration, skin colour and a decrease in joint pain. I have also noticed a slight difference in my Peyronies Disease, but have not yet been at it long enough to say it was just the Magnesium that was making a difference. I have a full daily regime going at the moment with VED (Hydrostatic type), Magnesium, Ubiquinol and L-Arginine. I am also using a mixture of Castor Oil and Emu Oil applied with IR heat wand (very carefully as heat can be intense).

Would there be a difference between Magnesium Chloride and Magnesium Citrate?

You are correct on how we do not take good care of ourselves blooming. It has taken the fear of losing my sexual function to make an effort to look at the way I have been living and what I need to do improve my health.

If anyone has any comment on my regime it would be welcomed.

Aussiemike

QuackAttack

Same thoughts Aussie Mike. I am taking Mag Citrate.  Blooming, I like the article, thanks. Although I have to disagree with one thing and that is we get enough in our diets if we have a good diet.  Based on Dr. Joel Wallach, we are very low in all 60 essential minerals and I think a proper calcium and mag supplement is in order.

kuaka

In case there is a significant difference in how the Magnesium is absorbed between the two, I actually use both Magnesium Chloride (which also includes Calcium) and Magnesium Citrate (which can be a bit laxative in too large of doses).

Only one month into this and I have noticed some very positive changes in penile scarring.  This is particular to Urethra scarring I've had since 81.  I will be trying to take an evaluation picture this weekend to see if there is a measurable reduction in bend...but I'm quite positive right now.

blooming

Quote from: PeetyPeet on November 27, 2015, 03:04:12 AM
Yes, very interesting. 'Hardened, shrunken and fibrotic' certainly describes me. I suppose it's time to get on the magnesium.

My only reservation is that the chap behind the article is trying to sell his own book, which makes me mildly suspicious.

I agree with your reservations about sites selling supplements PeetyPeet. I try to read articles and provide links ONLY if lots of useful information is provided. I appreciate the moderators allowing those links. Sites with minimal research and an abundance of "shopping carts" are avoided.

QuackAttack

Kuaka,

That is interesting you said that about your noticing a change.  I have been doing 1000mg of Mag Cit (Costco brand) along with many other things and I am noticing the curvature going from more of an acute angle to more of a U-shaped angle. I was at ~50 degrees upward and I would say I am around 45 degrees now (two weeks into Mag Cit) but the curve is more elongated.  Also using the SG extender, which could be helping to stretch out the fibrosis and I got on this as soon as I noticed something wrong.  I found something from a urologist called a Peyronies Disease Assessment Device that properly measures the curvature.  They are not very expensive, $12 and you get three. I got a second 3 pack last week because I think the guy is doing this as a side business and he doesn't have a shipping dept. So, my break to get a few extra in case one breaks.

rich68

I also agree with auss1emike. I started taking 450mg/day magnesium citrate this week and my anxiety dropped in less than 2 days.

I couldn't find any real proof that magnesium chloride would be better than the citrate and the citrate is quite cheap compared. I did try magnesium bisglycinate a while back but it is expensive and I suspect is a lot of marketing hype. I don't think it matters as long as you avoid magnesium oxide which is hard to absorb.

blooming

auss1emike

Thanks for the links blooming. I am going to persist with the magnesium and going to try Serrapeptase as suggested by my local therapist.

kuaka

I measure my angle...

Base measure, take a cell phone pic and edit it on my computer to remove the background.  Originally I overlaid an image of a protractor to get my starting angle which was around 45 degrees.

Periodic measure, take a new cell pic, put on computer, rotate to correct angle (stomach as alignment) and overlay base measure pic.  

I have noticed a change in the curve as well, but have not been in a place where I can do a good pic.  Been on the road too much, sleeping in my vehicle.  That situation stops next Monday though, so I should be able to get more aggressive in my VED, perhaps add Traction back in, as well as be able to evaluate better.

My curve seems less severe on the right side, which has it curving to the left a bit more than originally...call me "lefty" for now I guess...but it seems like an improvement.

I'm going to stay with both Magnesium Chloride and Magnesium Citrate supplementation for now.

blooming

To auss1emike, I checked the label for the enzyme supplement I am taking and it will survive the stomach acids.  "Seaprose is unlike serrapeptase, it is not affected by stomach acid so it does not require enteric coating. It is also much less upsetting to the stomach."

pey ron

Original link is broken. Luckily someone had saved it in the web archive:

https://web.archive.org/web/20160304053215/http://www.mrfreet.com/blogs/treating-ed/19137603-calcium-and-magnesium-for-post-finasteride-syndrome-recovery
Please go to PROFILE then FORUM PROFILE to replace this signature line text with your profile info such as
age, date of onset, symptoms, treatments tried,
relationship status, etc
** You will waste less time and get better answers **