What type of Magnesium should I get?

Previous topic - Next topic

Thinker

I was wondering what type of magnesium I should be taking for a injured penis due to rough masturbation, right now I went to GNC to buy some vitamins one of which is magnesium oxide also is there any other vitamins I should be taking?
- Mid 20s
- 5 years with Peyronies Disease
- Have Hourglassing, ED and Pain around penis, No plaque and circulation issues
- Currently on L-Arginine and CoQ10

StayStrong2030

The same thing happened to me about 2 years ago. Here is my advice:

-keep swelling down (ice, aspirin)
-leave it alone until you feel it is healed

Once you feel it is healed...
-if you notice any hard tissue in the penis, you have Peyronie's disease in the early stage ("acute" stage)

If you have early stage Peyronie's...
-go to urologist with information on the effectiveness of pentoxifylline and get a prescription for it
-buy a vacuum erection device (VED) and use it as often as possible to keep blood flow up especially with pentoxifylline in your system (NEVER EVER OVER-PUMP... ALWAYS BE EASY WITH IT)

You might want to get other supplements but pentoxifylline is proven to be effective and VED definitely fills out the penis, which is a huge plus in my experience.

If the scar tissue progresses (which is likely but could be minimized if you take pentox religiously and use VED - CAREFULLY), then you will have entered the "chronic" stage of the condition, when the scar tissue becomes a bit more noticeable and often harder (especially without pentox). At that stage, if you're not happy with the shape/form of it, then you might want to consider traction (or xiaflex or surgery if it's severe).

Thinker

Well right now I'm experiencing slight hourglassing on my penis with some pain, though the pain is there sometimes when I get an erection and right now I have a hard time trying to get a good erection going.
- Mid 20s

blooming

I have read plenty about magnesium supplement and based on that I am taking magnesium chloride tablets 500+mg once a day and then in the evening I spray magnesium oil on my penis. The site I learned the most about mag was (I hope this is OK) Ancient Minerals. Type "Magnesium" in the search bar and start reading. This is a short piece on their site.

Mineral Salts of Magnesium

These forms of magnesium are typically minerals or salts found in nature, such as magnesium chloride, a common component of sea waters.

Another term used for these types of magnesium supplements is "inorganic", however this can be misleading as this form is often closest to the forms of magnesium actually found in nature.

Mineral salt forms of magnesium supplements include:

Magnesium Bicarbonate
   Magnesium Carbonate
   Magnesium Chloride
   Magnesium Hydroxide

Magnesium Oxide
   Magnesium Phosphate
   Magnesium Sulfate (or Magnesium Sulphate)

mineral salts

Magnesium chloride has been found to have the highest bioavailability of the above types of magnesium, due to its superior solubility in water. In fact, water solubility has been found to be directly related to supplement absorbability, as it is believed that the "non-saturable" component of magnesium absorption in the digestive system is related to "solvent drag", the mechanism by which minerals and electrolytes accompany solvents such as water in the process of digestion and absorption.2

Also read their article on drinking soda/pop and how it depletes magnesium because of the phosphates in the drink. Or how softened water reduces magnesium from the drinking water and RO filtration completely cleans out any magnesium (which is what I have in my house. Softened water with RO filters. So we are consuming dead water). I also found a site (findaspring.com) that tells where free natural mineral spring water sources can be found (free versus expensive bottled spring water) which contains magnesium. Remember all farms had wells that contained magnesium of different concentrations.

I learned all this over the last 4 weeks.

kuaka

The two most readily available are Magnesium Chloride and Magnesium Citrate.  I'm using both in case one is more effective than the other...and Citrate is a bit laxative, so moderate use at most.

Thinker

Is there a pill form of these type of magnesium and if so where can I start looking?
- Mid 20s

kuaka

Both are available in pill form...even at Walmart in the US.

Thinker

What the recommended mg needed for citrate?
- Mid 20s

Gutted

After a shed load of research, I am very much leaning towards using topical (transdermal) Magnesium therapy.

It would appear that no matter what oral form you take, absorption (bioavailability) of Magnesium is relatively low as a % of the dose taken (compared to transdermally) and you also run the risk of various GI tract side effects.

I have read papers clearly showing significantly raised blood plasma Magnesium levels using a topical spray, bath / soak and / or MgCl moisturiser

There seems to be no side effects associated with topical application (very rarely some skin tingling where you just need a slightly higher dilution of the MgCl solution to resolve it) and it's a relatively easy form of treatment.

Anyone else been looking at this ? Got any views ? Or actually started such a therapy ?

kuaka

Interesting side note on MagCl...

My daughter, the one who is having the liver troubles, was concerned about scarring from endomitriosis and other issues.  I suggested mag/cl.  She started it.

Now the miracles...

She can keep food on her stomach for the first time in a couple of years.

Her liver function has jumped up to 81%.

4 more points on liver function and she's essentially "done" with the program...as in "cured"...as in "the first person to survive staph in the liver"...

Not sure, but the Mag/Cl might be a major factor here.

rich68

@Gutted - there are some reports on the internet of topical magnesium helping to cure dupuytren's but I didn't find anything official. Certainly worth a try.

blooming

@Gutted - there are some reports on the internet of topical magnesium helping to cure dupuytren's but I didn't find anything official. Certainly worth a try.
I posted a link earlier that had an interesting  result using mag spray for dupuytren's. I'll find it and post an excerpt.

It would appear that no matter what oral form you take, absorption (bioavailability) of Magnesium is relatively low as a % of the dose taken
The mag chloride I take has 12% elemental mag per tablet (520mg per tablet/62mg elemental mag). I take 3 tablets per day with no GI problems. There are some days that I use Mag Oil spray on my penis at the "hourglass" section.  62mg elemental magnesium per 4 pump sprays. There is a SLIGHT cooling effect, no tingling for me.

My daily routine is either 3 tablets per day or 2 tablets plus 4 sprays in the morning. After plenty of reading I also take proteolytic enzymes 3 times per day.
Blooming

blooming

Here is the excerpt I talked about
Yesterday I witnessed one of the most amazing benefits of transdermal magnesium I have seen. I work with another RN who is afflicted with arthritis, especially in her hands, and frequent muscle cramping/spasms in her legs. She has been using magnesium but became lax. Before leaving for work yesterday I received a phone call from her begging me to please bring with me some magnesium oil, as her hands were so cramped up and painful that she could barely stand to continue working.
When I got there, her hands and fingers were very contorted in spasm. Her fingers were curled up and stiff and her legs were cramping badly. She reported they had been this way all day, and the pain was driving her to tears. She immediately slathered the magnesium oil all over her hands. We were in report and she wanted it on her hands right away so the entire nursing staff watched and within 5 minutes you could visibly see her fingers extend back to normal and the finger movement return. We could literally see the relaxation taking place. It was simply amazing. Within minutes her hands were completely relaxed and functional again and stayed that way the remainder of the evening.
She also applied the magnesium to her legs and found relief. About 30 minutes after applying the oil, she held up her hands for everyone to see, and showed us the arthritic nodules on some fingers. She described how painful these always are to touch. But she poked and prodded them telling us how there was no pain now. She was able to continue working and doing the extensive writing that is a large part of our work without any further discomfort.

The site to read the rest of the article is Health Alerts - Inflammation & Systemic Stress - Treatment with Magnesium Chloride

Gutted

Interesting thanks Blooming.

I think with the feedback on the Forum and what can be found online with research, adding Mg therapy is a foregone conclusion for me.

I am going to use foot bath absorption for my main dosing and back up with localized Mg Oil spray like you do. Plus, I will use a MgCl moisturizer.