Traction

Previous topic - Next topic

getting_there_in_oregon

thanks for everyone's info! will be a little while before i have the $$$ for the good one's so i have more time to figure this out... : )

but i have figured a lot out already.

getting_there_in_oregon

chefcasey26

thanks for your info. in my personal experience a quality VED is really helpful! no overnight success but it's been very helpful. you'll find a lot of info in the VED section. and a group that responds pretty quick to questions.

i haven't gotten any traction yet but would like to because you can do it longer lengths of time. with VED, you do 20-30 minute sessions and it's hard to fit them into the day. i only get in one session a day tops.
still i hear more enthusiasm and people giving positive feedback when talking about VED's.

BrooksBro

My experience is the traction is a compliment to the VED.  Both is ideal, even if the traction is only for 2-4 hours a day.  Like most people, I find it difficult to get in more than 2 hours a day with traction.  This is usually immediately after a 15-minute VED session; morning and evening.  I find traction to be more effective in restoring length than the VED.

newguy

Quote from: BrooksBro on November 16, 2010, 07:11:00 AM
My experience is the traction is a compliment to the VED.  Both is ideal, even if the traction is only for 2-4 hours a day.  Like most people, I find it difficult to get in more than 2 hours a day with traction.  This is usually immediately after a 15-minute VED session; morning and evening.  I find traction to be more effective in restoring length than the VED.

The VED study from this year used a two session a day approach too, so I can see the logic here. Adding traction into the mix and I'm sure to some extent all of the approaches complement each other. Everything in moderation though. People need to be sure to listen to their body and not run before they can walk. Those new to traction/ved use especially.

fubar

I would like to compliment the last two post. Yes precaution is always a measure everyone with this disease must adhere to.Trying to over stretch with traction and ved use will not end well only create set backs.

I started with the ved protocol and am using a traction device as many of you know.I have not incorporated them both as of yet but my three month period is near. And then will combine combine the two.I will be your Guinea pig so date it.

Today I stretched for about six hours with activity and movement through the day at 5 and a  quater inches.

When I come home I stretch at greater length and a greater tension strength spring for two hours at 5 ams qthree quarters of an inch.Gain in stretch half an inch from the last time I posted.Not sure ware I started so I will figure it out.

This last week before stretching I took three days off.I personally was surprised i could stretch a half inch after three days and the turtle neck did not show.I am very happy with results so far and plan to progress and start documenting what I'm doing.

I think I will be doing extender during the week and ved on  the weekend. Primarily because I lose interest Im my disease on the weekend and I want to try both devices.

I think some guys maybe using to much tension strength Im their extender.I have looked at them all and the start at 1200 grm weight all the way to 3500 grams.It is very important to start gentle and then progress.

What I am doing is using less stretch when I am at work when I come home a longer stretch with higher tension.For what its worth I'm not in pain using common sense and have greater length and a relaxed penis.Higher smiles here!

Fubar

skunkworks

Quote from: skunkworks on September 13, 2009, 01:53:36 AM
Quote from: Hawk on August 25, 2009, 02:26:51 PM
I have to tell that we have doctors, pharmacists, physical therapists, engineers, and chemists here and i do not think that one person well grounded in Peyronies Disease would ever buy the concept that the direction of the device has ANYTHING to do with the direction of the curve.  Frankly speaking it just maks zero sense.

attach a long and short rubber band to your device.  Extend the device. No matter how it is turned in relation to the bands, once it is attracted and extended the short band receives the stretch before the long band.  It is simple physics.  It makes me question the legitimacy of any doctor of "expert" that does not grasp this concept.

I was thinking about this analogy and maybe it does not fit so well. I would think that a better analogy would be a rubber band which had a shorter rubber band tied to one side of it. In this case the shorter rubber band would be the last thing to come under tension.

Blast from the past!

Ok in the below image, the green bands represent normal elasticity and the red band represents something with much less elasticity. It becomes obvious that the green areas would need to reach quite a high level of tensions before the red area would start to stretch at all.

This is an emotionally destructive condition, we all have it, let's be nice to each other.

Review of current treatment options by Levine and Sherer]

Hawk

;D OK Skunkworks, I am laughing because I am sitting here wondering if you have been thinking about this since September 2009 when I posted that quote.  ;D

I am very willing to have this painfully detailed discussion with you if you want because it is a subject I have agonized over and I challenge anyone to make a model in which the direction you turn an extender has anything to do with what tissue is stretched.

I am not sure if you illustration represents a penis with hourglass deformity or if the entire triple loop represents a group of fibers down one side of a penis.  Lets take the 2nd and easiest example first.  

If it represents interlocked fibers along one side of the penis it does not matter which interlocking fibers stretch along that side.  If fibers in the middle shaft on that side (red) lose elasticity causing a curve, stretching the green or red fibers will correct the curve as long as they are on the short side of the shaft.  If the green normal fibers are more prone to stretch they would become longer compensating for the shortened red fibers in that chain.

If the illustration represents two sides of a penis with hourglass deformity I think there is a problem with the illustration because it shows fibers crossing over from one side to the other.  Never the less, traction will exert tension on the entire band.  Some will stretch, some will not but the pull/load force is constant along the length.  I do not think traction or VED gets rid of scar tissue an replaces it with normal tissue.  I think it simply stretches scar tissue or the tissue attached to the scar tissue so expansion is not restricted.

None of this has anything to do with how a traction device is turned. If the rods are on top and bottom or on each side of the penis the pull is the same.  The harness is the only thing that touches the penis and it grips the glands or shaft around its full circumference.  In fact putting 4 rods or 10 rods on the extender does not change the pull.  Neither does strapping the harness on without the extender and then tying a string and weight to the harness.  The tug is on the harness/noose and the fibers along the short side will engage before all the slack is taken up on the long side of the penis.

Then one issue that might have some influence is which way the penis is pointed (up, down, right, left, or straight out during traction.  I am frankly only able to point down and have to choose a tilt toward one leg or the other.  My preference when I am in bed or wearing a robe or in private is straight out.  It distributes the pressure on the base in a more comfortable fashion.
Prostatectomy 2004, radiation 2009, currently 70 yrs old
After pills, injections, VED - Dr Eid, Titan 22cm implant 8/7/18
Hawk - Updated 10/27/18 - Peyronies Society Forums

newguy

As the curve in my penis is on the left side of the penis, that side is shorter. There is no way I can wear the device that is capable is stretching the right side of my penis. It is never under tension because the short side is the limiting factor and hence is stretched first. It's useful that I can't stretch my entire penis, because it wouldn't really benefit me for the right side of my penis to increase in size, whereas I do want that to happen to the left side (whether it's the scarred tissue, the healthy or both). I appreciate that there are occasional posts by people stating that they've used these units, have regained size but their curvature is the same. In such cases, I tend to assume that the increase may have come from the suspensory ligament, as that is stretched when you use traction.

skunkworks

Quote from: Hawk on September 10, 2012, 08:31:41 AM
;D OK Skunkworks, I am laughing because I am sitting here wondering if you have been thinking about this since September 2009 when I posted that quote.  ;D

I am very willing to have this painfully detailed discussion with you if you want because it is a subject I have agonized over and I challenge anyone to make a model in which the direction you turn an extender has anything to do with what tissue is stretched.

Nope just ran across the post and never delivered on the image :) Just realized though that I should have stated that I also do not think that the direction of the traction device matters.

Now, further explanation, the graphic represents a single penis pointing upward, with a plaque on one side represented by the red band.  Green is healthy penis, red is plaque.

So no, the direction of the traction device does not matter. However to say that the plaque is the first thing to come under tension is incorrect. It will be the last thing to stretch as it takes the most force to stretch.

You can try this with rubber bands of various strengths.
This is an emotionally destructive condition, we all have it, let's be nice to each other.

newguy

Quote from: skunkworks on September 10, 2012, 07:28:47 PM

So no, the direction of the traction device does not matter. However to say that the plaque is the first thing to come under tension is incorrect. It will be the last thing to stretch as it takes the most force to stretch.

Maybe we need to make a distinction between come under tension and stretch? When I stretch my penis out the shortest part of the penis (the scarred part) is the first and only part of it to come under tension. Admittedly scar tissue is harder to stretch so it isn't stretching as much as the healthy tissue but that's not really a situation we can do much about other than hoping that the constant tension stretches it out somewhat over time.  

skunkworks

SOrry newguy I made mistake in my 2nd last paragraph there and have edited. Could you edit your quote?

newguy

Quote from: skunkworks on September 10, 2012, 08:31:00 PM
SOrry newguy I made mistake in my 2nd last paragraph there and have edited. Could you edit your quote?

No worries :). I've edited the post.

pizzaman

I'm curious if anyone has started traction while still in the inflammatory stage? I wouldn't start doing it during a flareup I guess, but I'm worried that traction would cause a bad flareup.