Fitness and impact of related pre-workout supplements and whey

Previous topic - Next topic

MatP

Hi all,

Does anyone of you practice, or has experience with, fitness/weight-lifting?

Do you think that taking whey after weight-lifting is beneficial or detrimental to Peyronies Disease?
Do you think that taking pre-workout supplements before workouts (for exemple a mix of BCAA 7'000mg, Citruline malate 8'000mg, Beta-alanine 3'200mg, L-Carnitine tartrate 2'000mg, Betaine 2'500mg) is beneficial or detrimental to Peyronies Disease?

Thanks.

NeoV

This is a fascinating question to me.

I spent at least 2 years solid taking pre workouts and other supppements, and it was during that time that my Peyronies got very bad. Of course, I strongly am inclined to think this was coincidence. I tooked a lot of scoops of a large variety of PWOs, so a lot of nitric oxide and stimulants.

I cannot honestly say what effected what, since I've had Peyronie's symptoms since around 18 years old.

Jonbinspain

I'm in the gym 4-5 days a week. I also take a combo of whey isolate protein and organic Maca powder after a workout. As far as my peyronies goes, I've not noticed any great effect. Positive or negative. I would say that my dick feels fuller, balls tighter after a workout.  

Skjaldborg

I alternate between lifting and road biking 6 days per week. I supplement with pea protein shakes and that's it. I can't see how any oral supplements would be harmful or encourage Peyronie's inflammation. I think it's more likely that exercise is beneficial. Obviously, using gear of any sort (steroids) is not a good idea for many reasons.

-Skjaldborg

Knight

I've been lifting for 22 years and have used everything under the sun at one point in time or another. I too have often wondered if any of these supplements had anything to do with me becoming a victim of Peyronies. Supplements are a multi-billion dollar industry but they are not regulated or tested like pharmaceuticals. It's probably coincidence, but it does make me wonder.

MatP

Thanks for your feedback guys.

@NeoV,
How old were you when you were taking solid PWO and other supplements?

Personnally, I took PWO for about 1 year, and I stopped maybe 6 months prior being diagnosed.
I always took high-quality ones and with less scoops that what was recommended on the package.
Regarding whey, I took for a bit longer, but with even less scoops that what I would need.

I also don't think there's a connection, but I was wondering if:
- PWO, which induces vasodilatation, may on the long-term impact vessels in the penis
- whey may potentially drive calcification in tissues

In any case, I may consider replacing my after workout isolate whey shake by whey from peas, which may be a bit less effective, but less prone to have any kind of impact on Peyronies Disease.
Does it make sense?
Today I bought maca powder, but I'm more planning to take 1 spoon in the morning and 1 in the evening.

Forgot to mention that since 1 month I'm taking 1 spoon of spirulina and chlorella each.

Is anyone aware of studies, or statistics about the prevalence of Peyronies Disease in sports (whether it is body-building or other sports)?