Use of extender after penile surgery

Previous topic - Next topic

John_C

Hello, PDS members! Seven years ago, when I was 25 yo, I went through a Yachia procedure due to a congenital ventral curvature. As expected, I had about 2 cm lenght loss, but a good correction of the curvature (I'd say about 90%), with no other side effects. I am fully aware that the best is the enemy of good or very good, yet I can't help thinking about "taking back" my beloved 2 cm lengh. Did anyone here try or use a penis extender years after surgery? I am a little bit worried that my sutures will fail or that the stretching will not be too effective due to the tissue modification. I would appreciate any input. Thank you in advance, John_C  

drelist

Hello John,
Based on my experience, extenders have not been medically proven to yield permanent gains in penile length or width. It is also worth noting that since there has been little research backing many of device's claims, the risks and side effects associated with their use are not governed by any reputable body.  

skunkworks

What?

John_C, traction devices have multiple studies behind them, some manufacturer run, some independent. Even if we only look at the independent ones, traction devices have more successful studies behind them (on lengthening and/or curvature) than any other Peyronie's treatment. There are even studies on using them specifically after surgery such as A retrospective comparative study of traction ther... [J Sex Med. 2012] - PubMed - NCBI  , though that study is about using traction soon after surgery, not 7 years later.

drelist if you don't think traction has sufficient supporting evidence, you need to read a lot more. Or you must feel that there are NO peyronie's treatments with sufficient supporting evidence.
This is an emotionally destructive condition, we all have it, let's be nice to each other.

Review of current treatment options by Levine and Sherer]

LWillisjr

Developed peyronies 2007 - 70 degree dorsal curve
Traction/MEDs/Injections/Surgery 2008 16 years Peyronies free now
My History

Old Man

Hey Guys:

Since the traction devices seem to be getting into a debate situation would those using the devices post their results.

One of the sites quoted for their use touts getting bigger dicks from using their devices. Wish someone would post the actual amount of gains they have received from using them. According to the information I have researched states that gains in length can only restore that which was lost from their original length before any trauma or adverse conditions like Peyronies Disease.

As men age they do lose length due to less sexual activity and/or erections being achieved. I know first hand about this condition since I am now over 85 years and have lived through prostate cancer, ED after that, as well as ED from less sexual activity. Also, I have worked on another men's health forum and the same results have been noted there as well. Traction devices are able to restore the dimension lost from the maladies stated though.

Comments are welcome.

Old Man
Age 92. Peyronies Disease at age 24, Peyronies Disease after
stage four radical prostatectomy in 1995, Heart surgery 2004 with three bypasses/three stents.
Three more stents in 2016. Hiatal hernia surgery 2017 with 1/3 stomach reduction. Many other surgeries too.

skunkworks

Very good idea.

I lost 1.9cm and have gained back 2.8cm. I know the exact numbers because as guys do sometimes, I had measured my penis quite accurately once and recorded it and only just found the record a little while back. Luckily before injury so I had an accurate baseline.

The 2cm came when I was using traction and occasional VED, the next 0.8 has happened with traction alone.

nb. The studies above to list average gains etc.
This is an emotionally destructive condition, we all have it, let's be nice to each other.

drelist

Quote from: skunkworks on October 17, 2014, 09:04:02 PM
What?

Hello skunkworks,

Perhaps I should have defined my criteria for supporting evidence. Manufacturer claims are laughable at best and I generally do not use them as criteria to recommend treatments to patients. Other supporting "independent" studies may show nominial gains, however, as of this writing, I am unaware of any FDA (or other medically governing body) approved stretching medical devices with proven scientific results with relation to Peyronie's disease.
In addition, as you noted, if you read the article carefully, it notes the use of the device after surgery, as I had recommended in my previous posts. However, the efficacy not after 7 years. Also it is related to preservation of length and not gain. So please look at the "permanent" word I used in my post. I also mentioned that there is "little" research backing device's claims and we need more research and studies to help discover whether a certain treatment is efficient or not. All of us need to read more and thank you for your advice.  

skunkworks

drelist your criteria for supporting evidence seems completely arbitrary and changes depending on what is being talked about.

Is your penile implant FDA approved? No.

Is verapamil cream FDA approved for Peyronie's? No.

And yet you feel comfortable using/recommending them both, and not traction. Despite traction having FAR more evidence behind it.

To the original poster John_C I assume you wish to use evidence to guide your treatment choices, and I will endeavor to give you that evidence below:

List of studies re Peyronie's and traction - Treating Peyronie's with Penis Extenders - Studies and Evidence

List of studies re traction usage and penile length gains - Penis Traction Extender Studies and Evidence

The traction specific board on this forum, chock full of useful information - Traction and Traction Devices for correcting Peyronies Disease - PDS - Peyronies Society Forums

The evidence listed in those linked above shows that traction devices can lengthen a penis, even one with Peyronie's. If it is safe to use 3-4 weeks after surgery, then 7 years after surgery is safe too. Of course I would suggest if you do choose traction, to be very conservative with adding tension and hours per day.

John_C

Dear all, thank you for your kind contributions. Indeed it is a delicate and sometimes controversial topic. I will read your recommendations and I hope I will be able to take a decision in this matter. In this very moment I am determined to carefully test a traction device and I will give my best to keep a personal record on its influence. Anyway, I don't have high expectations and I am more focused on safety or at least the preservation of the surgery outcome.
Once again, thank you and best regards, John