Alternative to Kegels: Great Article. I've found doing this instead to be good.

Previous topic - Next topic

johnsmith3347

So, I should preface that even as much as my condition has gotten worse in last 1.5 years, it's not so bad that I can;t come, most of the time, without pain or soreness.  My general sex drive is improved, and I do feel that these are helpful.  I always had mixed feelings doing traditional clenching kegels, and this line from the article captures it well: "Underlying the Kegel controversy is a very simple issue: what Katy calls an "overgeneralized theory of strength." A Kegel is a muscular contraction. For women who have a tight pelvic floor, concentrically contracting the muscles regularly will simply aggravate the tension issue.  "Muscle that is either too long or too short looks the same when you measure its force production. Which means just because something is weak or unable to do a bout of work does not automatically imply that concentric contraction is the correct prescription."

Beating the muscles up that may already be suspect through contracting kegels could make things worse.  On legs workout days (once a week) - I do (I worked up to this total over a couple of months) 6 sets of 50 squats, with no weights.  Keep your back straight, don't use your arms to swing, don't spread your knees any wider than your toes are pointing, don't let your knees come to far forward in front of your shins.  Go alll the way down.  It's helped ease of ejaculation big time.  Can't see why it would do anything for bend/plaque, unfort.  If I'm allowed to post a link: Stop Doing Kegels: Real Pelvic Floor Advice For Women (and Men) | Breaking Muscle.

NeoV

Love squats! Back when I first started to get better I was doing a lot of body weight squats, extra wide. Cool.

Old Man

I have to step in here and give my 2 cents about doing kegels. Kegels are used mainly for therapy of ones urinary tract after prostate surgery, UTI leaving one incontinent and other urinary problems.

Urinary leakage if a very devastating condition of anyone to endure. Kegel exercises have been proven by many men, myself included, after a radical prostatectomy. My uro prescribed that I do them in order to regain somewhat of a control over my urinary problem.

However, kegel exercises is a one on one ''therapy'' and will not work some some patients. This is stated for the benefits of ''us older guys'' who have had prostate problems over the years and may still have as they get older.

Old Man
Age 92. Peyronies Disease at age 24, Peyronies Disease after
stage four radical prostatectomy in 1995, Heart surgery 2004 with three bypasses/three stents.
Three more stents in 2016. Hiatal hernia surgery 2017 with 1/3 stomach reduction. Many other surgeries too.

johnsmith3347

There was a thread from 2012 in the miscellany re: can peyronie's contribute to urinary tract problems, getting urine out and getting sperm fully out on ejaculation.  I found that these symptoms were beginning to affect me, and doing these helped immensely.

UrsusMinor