Broken suture?

Previous topic - Next topic

notgivingup

Hello, this is my first post in the forum, thought I'm pretty sure I've been here before.

After years of weighting in the pros and cons, I've finally decided to go for surgery to correct my Congenital curvature. I'm 31 years old and my curvature was about 45° downwards (own estimates, based on photos).

I've had plications/sutures applied on the long side of the penis (top). Erections felt pretty tight, specially on stitches near the head. Penis was completely and amazingly straight, shortened by about 2-3 cm. 39 days after surgery I was painless enough as to masturbate for the first time, using plenty of lubrication so as to not really moving or grabbing the sking. On the third occasion, 45 days after surgery and with the same precautions, something clearly SNAPPED near the head. This was yesterday. Today, I think my erection got a bit bent, NOT on the point where it snapped, but near the base (I have some stitches in there too, in fact most of the curvature was there).

My surgeon is on vacations so I've appointed a visit 15 days from today. On Thursday I'm checking with another urologist.

I know of a guy who had CC, went through surgery, after 1 or 2 weeks heard the snap, and after a few months it was again bent (it progressed slowly, and he engaged regularly in sexual activity during that period).

Questions:
a) Have you heard something "snapping" after surgery? Have you seen/heard of any case?
b) Would this imply that bad quality stitches were used?
c) If I avoid erections at all cost, would that make a difference? Or once the plication is broken, that's it?

Thank you SO much in advance for your support.

PS: I live in South America, and although I had one of the best and most experienced urologists in the country, I wouldn't assume anything about the procedure used.

keepitstraight

Hi. Snapping does not seem normal. I think some guys here had that sound/problem i hope they can share with you. It would be good if you can share with us what technique was used for the correction? Nesbitt, Modified Nesbitt, plication... Well i dont think it might be bad quality sutures, but maybe strong erections. Today it is or should be common practice to give inhibitory drugs to prevent/reduce erections and that helps a lot in the first weeks to avoid strong erections specially in young people.
If it is a broken suture there is a chance of recurrence, specially if was used a plication technique (where the curvature correction depends only on the tensile force of the permanent sutures).

lordfkiller

One broken suture does not necessarily mean you will have complete recurrence. Partial recurrence happens in some patients. Urologists do not recommend having another surgery as long as it is less than 30 degrees.

I don't think anyone can say whether that has happened because your surgeon was not competent enough or not. Recurrence can happen even with the best surgeon. But it also depends on the technique used - for some techniques there shouldn't be recurrence (very unlikely) if done properly, whereas with a technique like Lue's 16-dot plication, chance of recurrence is as high as 15%.

Whether avoiding sex/erection for longer helps, once again, depends on the technique used. If tunica has been incised or shaved, as is the case with Nesbit's, then giving it some more time might be a good idea. In those techniques, sutures are mainly there to keep edges of the wounds (that are created intentionally) together. Healing of the wound is what will keep your penis straight - in fact some even use absorbable sutures that last long enough for the wounds to heal. That means recurrence becomes very unlikely after a few months. In some other techniques your penis is just kept straight with permanent sutures, which is what makes recurrence more likely. In any event, I would be cautious until you see the urologist. I'm not sure if there is any point in seeing another urologist.

Hope that helped.

notgivingup

Thank you for the replies.

I've checked with my urologist. The technique was, in his words, "a Nesbitt with buried/hidden knots". He told me that the sutures are made of Prolene, that the original curvature was of more than 60°, and that between 4 and 8 plications were made (he didn't recall exactly).

He encouraged me to start having relations again; however, last week I was being too friendly with my recently acquired special one (clothes on), and again SNAP and the fun was over... we both felt it, that's how hard it sounded/felt. It was exactly 9 weeks (63 days) after surgery.

Now the curvature is somewhat reminiscent of what it was before, and I'm really wondering if these kind of interventions are good at all here... It's been two months already and it doesn't seem to stop breaking. I don't even know exactly what is breaking :'(

LWillisjr

I would find another doctor. Evidently the procedure and/or type of material being used is suspicious.
Developed peyronies 2007 - 70 degree dorsal curve
Traction/MEDs/Injections/Surgery 2008 16 years Peyronies free now
My History

keepitstraight

I agree completly with LWillisjr. Find another doctor. I dont have any references from Argentina. From the Association of Peyronies desease advocates website they list two argentinian doctors: Dr. Adrian Momesso (the name is not strange to me, maybe in an article...) and Dr. Alberto Belen. Besides that and if you have the possibilities you should also search outside your country other options, there are really good doctors specialized in this problem. Everything will be fine trust me. Find a good one.

notgivingup

I surely will... Thank you SO much keepitstraight for those references.

Does anyone know of any case who had to undergo surgery again, to correct "residual" curvature? I don't know how much time would be best to let pass before beginning this all over again...