Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

ALL Members PLEASE Add a Signature line with age, history etc
PROFILE -> FORUM PROFILE -> SIGNATURE
More instructions here -> Signature Line - History - Peyronies Society Forums

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Battling Bad Science  (Read 6175 times)

funnyfarm

• Major Contributor
Battling Bad Science
« on: March 03, 2013, 05:44:46 PM »

Here is an excellent presentation that shows how drug companies often insure scientific studies and trials support their business goals (regardless of how safe or effective the drug is).   A must see if you do research on pubmed to evaluate your treatment options:

Ben Goldacre: Battling Bad Science - YouTube
When you are in tune with the unknown, the known is peaceful.

ashtown

• Solid Contributor
Re: Battling Bad Science
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2013, 10:07:56 AM »

That was quite interesting though non native speakers may struggle because he speaks rather quickly. The point it brought home to me is that studies on Peyronies invariably seem to involve just a handful of men and as this video pointed out, who knows how many studies or other data never see the light of day when they give the "wrong answer".
Dec 2013 - Replaced all prescribed medicines with plenty of fresh vegetables, sleep and exercise

Hawk

• Administrator
  • Titan 22cm - Dr. Eid 8/7/18
    • Peyronie's Disease
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2013, 08:44:49 PM »

Funnyfarm,

Thanks for that clip.  I do not exagerate when I say I would make veiwing that mandatory for members to retain their membership if there was an easy way to do so. 

This is one of my biggest single quests on this forum; to stop the mentality of "A" precedes "B" there for it caused "B".  I wish all here would thoroughly read Peyronie Disease Society Evaluating Clinica Trials

I also wish that all reading it, and that watch this clip, will reiterate the importance of sound studies every time we see another one of us slipping into the sink hole of "Bad Science".  How else do all of these promising treatments (especially from Italy) establish results no one else can duplicate?  Then we have all these snake oil websites that run off of anecdotal evidence that people buy into even when it is combined with a profit motive.

Understanding real evidence and evaluating it to make rational decisions is the biggest contribution this community can make to men with Peyronies Disease.

PS: I hope that link stays good for a long time.
Prostatectomy 2004, radiation 2009, currently 68 yrs old - After pills, injections, VED - Dr Eid Titan 22cm 8/7/18
Hawk - Updated 10/27/18 - Peyronies Society Forums

edzo67

• Voting Member
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2014, 01:17:49 AM »

Amen!
Pages: [1]   Go Up