Re: Extremely Positive Results from Verapamil

Previous topic - Next topic

Pbalvo

Hello Forum! My Urologist is about to start Verapamil Injections and he wrote me a script.  It is Verapamil Poweder in 10MG Vials.  Standard pharmacy cannot fill it.. Any suggestions on who could fill this in the US?

Hawk

I am confused.  If he is starting VI what is the purpose of the prescription for Verapamil powder?
Prostatectomy 2004, radiation 2009, currently 70 yrs old
After pills, injections, VED - Dr Eid, Titan 22cm implant 8/7/18
Hawk - Updated 10/27/18 - Peyronies Society Forums

DO

It maybe the powder that has to be reconstituted with a solution to be drawn up in a needle that needs to be injected. He may not have the supply in office and does not want to be billed for it. He will inject you when you bring it in... If this is the case he should have explained it to you.  You can get it from a speciality Pharm. Call him and ask the question.  

funnyfarm

And please let us know if you improve or not !
When you are in tune with the unknown, the known is peaceful.

MattFoley

Got Testosterone?

Pbalvo

Thanks for the information.. I have insurance and hope it will cover it... It should?

Hawk

Since VI has a pretty poor record to start with, I would want a VErY experienced doctor with a good track record behind the needle.  The fact that he needs me to get the TV for him would be a warning sign to me that I might need another doctor.

MattFoley

I have no idea. It depends on the insurance company. In my case, if the urologist says it's necessary for Peyronie's treatment, there's a good chance it will be covered.
Got Testosterone?

Pbalvo

Thanks Matt!  Now i just need to find a pharmacy to fill it...

DO

I have had very positive results with VI . I have had at 53% curve downward, painful night time erections. I am now into my 4 month of injections and the curve is almost gone. I have 4 more injections to complete the six months of therapy. I also use traction at night and a VED in the AM for 15-25 minutes, I too take a lot of supplements and cialas 5mg everyday. I am saying I am at a 75-80% improvement! No more pain. I still have a few bouts of ED. but there is still avenues I have not explored to combat this. It is very difficult not to obsess about this, but everyday it does get better.

funnyfarm

Wow that is great news DO.  I wish there were more reports of guys using VI.

MattFoley

It would be interesting to know why some men respond to Verapamil and some don't. Is it the individual? The skill of the doctor? The location of the plaque? All of the above? None of the above?
Got Testosterone?

Hawk

FunnyFarm, You say you wish there were more reports on men using VI.  There are tons on reports on this forum but a very small percentage have been positive.  Like MattFoley I am not sure why some respond and some don't but if my last option was VI or surgery I would consider VI IF I had a doctor that had a huge amount of experience and a high response ratio, but only then.

ashtown

Apparently there was a show on TV last night in the UK called Strange Sex that was on a channel called DMAX, which included a 15 minute segment on a man with Peyronies who was successfully treated with a course of Verapamil injections. I haven't seen it myself yet but I'm hoping to in the near future because my father recorded it. For those in the UK who have Sky I gather it will be shown again on Saturday night.  
Dec 2013 - Replaced all prescribed medicines with plenty of fresh vegetables, sleep and exercise

funnyfarm

Quote from: Hawk on February 06, 2013, 12:32:38 PM
FunnyFarm, You say you wish there were more reports on men using VI.  There are tons on reports on this forum but a very small percentage have been positive.  Like MattFoley I am not sure why some respond and some don't but if my last option was VI or surgery I would consider VI IF I had a doctor that had a huge amount of experience and a high response ratio, but only then.

Thank you Hawk, I need to read more of the old posts.  It seems like some of the recent ones are quite positive, but based on your comment it looks like the older ones are not as good.    I need to give the pentox a lot longer before looking at this seriously.  Maybe though in the interim some of Matt's questions will get answered.  I would like to think Dr's are improving the VI protocol as they gain more experience.  

MattFoley

funnyfarm, as I mentioned elsewhere, my doctor prescribed 2,400 mg/day of Pentox and I'm tolerating it very well after a couple of days ramp up. This is the dose that Dr. Lue has recommended to others. I'm wondering if you might want to talk with your doctor as well about the dose if you are doing OK with your tolerance of it as it stands and see if it may make a bigger impact on your progress. Just a thought. :)

Got Testosterone?

funnyfarm

Matt Foley,

Yes I am up to 2000 mg and will likely take six pills to get to the "magical" :) 2400mg dose soon.   I had my blood tested on Mon, and went over the results with my naturalpathic MD.   The kidney and liver panel were all normal thank god.  My white blood cell count was just shy of normal, but he said not to worry about it.  Cholesterol LDL a little high 141 like always..

So the only thing stopping me right now is my sleep has been off a little mostly due to stress, but the pentox effects it to a small degree as well.   Hopefully soon though, I will be able relax a little more before bed time.   Thanks for the support.

MattFoley

Got Testosterone?

Pbalvo

All-had my first VI today! Not a great experience, but tolerable. Went into traction about a hour after. Doc says plaque will dissolve some by next injection in two weeks. Traction 5 hours a day and 1000mg of L-argentine..

Jason3

I'm getting ready to start VI treatment, but can not find a pharmacy who can fill it. Has anyone had success finding anyone?

DO

Jason3,
Your Dr. should obtain the solution for injections. He should at least direct you to a pharmacy that can fill it at the strength he is intending to use. It is usually done by a compounding pharmacy!

MattFoley

My urologist said to forget about injecting verapamil and instead try to find a doctor who does it by iontophoresis.

Got Testosterone?

Obsie

Quote from: MattFoley on May 30, 2013, 03:16:29 AM
My urologist said to forget about injecting verapamil and instead try to find a doctor who does it by iontophoresis.

Makes sense. And it is tested. Transdermal iontophoresis with verapamil and d... [Arch Esp Urol. 2012] - PubMed - NCBI

Crooked_Stick

So why are no doctors offering this treatment. Seems like something you could do at home if you had the drugs and a kit.
Born 1960, Diagnosed 2013
Initial 40 degree bend, 1" loss, Xiaflex 3 rds of 2 injections
Current 25 degree bend, no palpable plaque, 1/4" loss
VED 5-6 days/week, traction daily,
TRT 20 ml twice weekly, Cialas 3 mg - No ED - Doing Well!

LWillisjr

The term VI is specifically referring to Verapamil INJECTIONS. There are multiple ways to administer Verapamil. Verapamil from a compounding pharmacy is meant to be applied transdermally. You rub it on and apply it yourself. Iontophoresis is yet another way of transdermally applying Verapamil using specialized equipment.

Just trying to clarify the different ways that Verapamil can be applied. There are mixed views regarding the effectiveness of Verapamil in any form, let alone the method in which it is applied.
Developed peyronies 2007 - 70 degree dorsal curve
Traction/MEDs/Injections/Surgery 2008 16 years Peyronies free now
My History

DO

I did use Verapamil transmittal for 3 months at 150 mg ... no results Then we increased it to 300mg for 3 months..(burns like hell), still no results...then started injections every 2-3 weeks for 7 months and it worked with all the other things...traction ...VED...Pentox...and most of supplements talked about here...! Oh yes a great doctor Peter Stahl.

MattFoley

Quote from: Crooked_Stick on May 30, 2013, 01:38:46 PM
So why are no doctors offering this treatment. Seems like something you could do at home if you had the drugs and a kit.

That's a damn good question. I have no idea why not every urologist that treats Peyronie's has access to that equipment. Sometimes I feel these urologists are walking through a dream sequence where nothing makes sense. At the same time I feel like these doctors really have no clue even though the treatment methods are right there in front of them. I don't know. But, my urologists are using me as the expert in Peyronie's!! They all listen with quiet intensity to hear what I have discovered next. It's bizarre.

Got Testosterone?

funnyfarm

Maybe its just me, but I get the impression Urology attracts a lot of doctors that are lazy and probably regretted their decision to go to medical school after it was too late.  Competancy and moral seems to be lacking in most practices I have visited.  Perhaps it is the easiest specialty to obtain due to lack  of competition as the smarter doctors all opt for other areas that are more prostegous and lucrative.  

When is the last time you had to tell your neurologist of heart surgeon how he is supposed to do his job  ?  

Just my opinion of course based on multiple bad experiences.  I am sure there are some good Urologist out there but they are the minority.

Obsie

Medicine is not a science, it is an art. In every field there are rare diseases. Peyronies Disease is one of them, it was until recently considered to be present in 1 to 5 % of men. When you are a urologist, you deal every day with many patients who suffer from very serious illnesses, some of them life threatening, and Peyronies Disease is not necesarily the most serious concern.

However, the recent surge in cases shows that it was underdiagnosed, it is now accepted that 15% of men suffer from Peyronies Disease, so it is not rare anymore. As a result we can expect to see more treatment options, simply because there is $$ to be made.

But medicine remains an art.  

funnyfarm

My post is also based on experience with chronic non bacterial prostatitis, which is more common that Peyronies Disease.   As soon as they realize your PSA is normal and you do not have BPH, they assume is not worthy of their time since there are no standard treatment guidelines.   I think a good doctor would read a few papers now and then and be willing to break protocol to help someone, but with most urologists sadly this is not the case.  Guys with CPPS and hard flacid are in the same boat. None of these are life threatening and therby not considered serious.  If the doctor had Peyronies Disease, he would change his opinion.  I totally agree medicine is more art than science, but modern health care often does not treat it as such.  The system is set up to keep appointments very short and just hand out an RX rather than actually take the time to get at the root cause of the problem.