Using selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors - with Peyronies

Previous topic - Next topic

user of no names

i know sexual side effects exist with ssris but was wondering if anyone knew if they can make peyronies worse?  I am actually on remeron or mirtazapine as they are supposed to have less sexual side effects but still doubt what the dr said.  I use them for ocd and depression but don't take them consistently enough because of a fear of the peyronies getting worse.  Any input would be nice.  I guess living in a cold place like MN can have benefits as the cold keeps any potential swelling down but your penis definitely shrivels up when the sun doesn't care to heat crap up.  wishing my penis pointed straight north again.  come on mr penis you can do it.  if only the blood flow could break through the scar.  too lazy to spell check and use correct grammar.  aoihfoaisfhasipfhaisfhuihu.  this word will never be in the dictionary cause it means ^%^%^%^%$&%&%*^%&^&^%&^%** or some bad word that can't describe what peyronies is like.need sleep now.to tired to care or to cared to tire.  sometimes the peyronies wears you out from worrying about it to much and other times you just give up and hope it gets better some how.  there is a thought that makes no sense.  my penis is a riddle that will never be solved except in death.  which will come first... a straight penis or death??  my money is on a straight penis as i died a long time ago.  so shouldn't my penis be straight?? cruel joke

peyronies mn

Hawk

Your post read like you were not thinking very clearly when you wrote it which makes it a little hard to follow.  I know of no Peyronies Disease effects from SSRI's except to the extent that many of them do effect libido and difficulty reaching orgasm.  If they eliminated erections (unlikely) then that could be an issue because it is generally accepted that regular erections are an essential component of good penile health.  If you get NTE's while on SSRI's then I think you are fine.  If not, get your doctor to prescribe  1/2 of a 50 mg Trazodone before bed.  It is so cheap it is almost free.

Also Welbutrin is well known for not having sexual side effects, or if anything having a positive effect.  One woman was suing because she had repeated uncontrolled orgasms even when in the checkout line at the grocery store.  A bit of a stretch I think but my wife says shopping is better than sex so who knows  ;)

Viibryd is another that is supposed to have few or no sexual side effects.

Prostatectomy 2004, radiation 2009, currently 70 yrs old
After pills, injections, VED - Dr Eid, Titan 22cm implant 8/7/18
Hawk - Updated 10/27/18 - Peyronies Society Forums

MtnSurf

sorry to bump an old post, but thought i could contribute or offer help to anyone considering anti depressants to help cope with peyronies. I recently started on Wellbutrin 150mg and would agree  with what Hawk said. I honestly think the Wellbutrin has helped my sex drive. I'm not a fan of meds in general but was tired of feeling low and living with inconsistent moods (anger & frustration) from Peyronies Disease. So, I talked to my PCP about Wellbutrin & am glad I did. Depression can definitely diminish your sex drive.  

membaka

I dont see how SSRI can effect existing PR disease, but i see pros and cons of your situation. Have you tried with therapi before meds?  

Caesar

Most people with mild depression or some other psychological disorder will get more long-term benefits from therapy than from taking meds.

The problem is many aren't willing to spend let's say 100€-140€ monthly in cognitive behavioral therapy, EMDR, etc. When they can get relief from a drug that costs 10€.
Others are reluctant to talk about their problems to a stranger, to make changes in their lives or to confront their problems.
Finally, many others just don't understand how therapy could teach them how to eradicate ruminations, anxiety, dissociation...

Drugs are adjuvants in the recovering process of the sufferer. Sometimes they are really needed, of course (in example schizophrenia or bipolar disorder). In some other cases, they can be used along with therapy (OCD, major depression...) then, they can be adjusted in dose or even suspended.

I'm now recovering from OCPD, anxiety and depression (one year in therapy and a bit more in meds). Despite the recent appearance of Peyronie's disease, I am now more resilient, more flexible and have skills that I didn't have before. Those skills help me coping with problems in life and my medication is minimal.
I also have a cousin who is schizophrenic so I'm quite aware of metal illnesses.

I don't know how "get bent...oh wait i am" is today (this thread was started a year and a half ago), I've read him recently and he seems better.

But anyone having psychological issues: GO TO THERAPY.
If OCD, the psychologist will help you to deal with your fears, anxiety, those obsessional thoughts you may have, rituals if any... and to take medication consistently.
If you have other disorder, they may advise if you need to go to a psychiatrist and be prescribed some meds. Like any other profession, there're good and bad professionals. But if you find a good one (I tried with 2 before finding the right one), he or she is going to help you A LOT.

Best regards.
First onset: January 2014 (lasted 16 months) | Treatment: Q10 (ubiquinol) + Acetyl-L-Carnitine | Result: 15º curvature to right and narrowing at the base.
Second onset: January 2020.