ACE Inhibitors in Peyronie's Treatment?

Previous topic - Next topic

John B

I found this on a site, but it doesn't give any details.

Quote5) J Rehman, A Benet, A Melman. Use of intralesional verapamil to dissolve Peyronie's disease plaque: A long-term single-blind study. Urology 51: 4 (APR 1998):620-626. PABA, Ace inhibitors and calcium channel blockers (drugs to treat high blood pressure), prostacyclin E1 and a protein building block called L-arginine have been shown to decrease scarring and help treat Peyronie's disease, heart valve damage associated with the diet drug, fenfluramine, duPuytren's contracture of the tendons in the palm, and so forth). Most also generate a chemical called nitric oxide that relaxes smooth muscle to cause an erection. If you have a painful bent penis, wait a while, you may get better by yourself. If you want to be treated, the most promising treatment is injections of verapamil every other week for 24 weeks.

Quote from: http://www.drmirkin.com/men/8663.html

Anyone know if, and how, ACE Inhibitors treat Peyronie's? I was recently taken off beta-blockers (atenolol), which some believe cause Peyronie's, and put on an ACE Inhibitor (Lisinopril). Beta-blockers can cause Peyronie's, but I'm wondering how ACE Inhibitors could treat it.

funnyfarm

from the link you posted the doctor also says

"Men most likely to suffer Peyronie's disease often have high blood pressure and high blood cholesterol and uric acid levels, which weaken blood vessel walls (2). Then when a man makes love, the trauma breaks these blood vessels which heal with scarring "

I have never heard this theory before.  
When you are in tune with the unknown, the known is peaceful.

John B

Yeah, who knows. I see hypertension mentioned on many Peyronie's sites, so maybe there is a link. But I haven't had hypertension in years because of the beta-blockers, so it wasn't from the hypertension.

John B

I'm pretty sure it was the beta-blocker which gave me problems. I'm done searching for a cause.

I was just wondering if and how an ACE Inhibitor would help and how much.

George999

A few points ...

1)  ACE Inhibitors and ARBs for that matter tend to be anti-inflammatory and can only be helpful in dealing with Peyronie's. How much they might help is an open question, but they certainly are very unlikely to do harm.

2) Hypertension causes damage to the vascular system.  I think it is doubtful that it actually causes Peyronie's, but it could certainly CONTRIBUTE to the development of Peyronie's.

3) Hypertension is most often caused by excess serum insulin according to Functional Medicine experts.  Excess serum insulin likely contributes to Peyronie's as well, so there IS a link and that link is a common inflammatory metabolic factor behind both.

- George

Jonbinspain

I would agree with the attribution of the onset of Peyronie's to Beta Blockers. I too had never had any problem until I was prescribed them for what was suspected to be a potential heart problem. Within a few months of taking them the pain and the problems started.
I no longer take them. Since then my Peyronie's has, at least,  not worsened.

Hawk

If there is any statistical connection between high blood pressure and Peyronies Disease my guess is that a closer look would show that it is really a connection between Beta Blockers and Peyronies Disease so infact the medication and Peyronies Disease not the blood pressure itself.

For what it is worth, my BP and cholesterol, both in number and ratio, could not have been any better when I developed Peyronies Disease.  My risk factors were prostatectomy and tri-mix injections.
Prostatectomy 2004, radiation 2009, currently 70 yrs old
After pills, injections, VED - Dr Eid, Titan 22cm implant 8/7/18
Hawk - Updated 10/27/18 - Peyronies Society Forums

ThisWontWork

high blood pressure will/might narrow the blood vessels! so there might  be a connection. Bad blood flow -> higher risk of Peyronies plaque.  
Pentox, CoQ-10, L-Arginine, VED, some Chinese herbs

Whyisthishappening

alc ,vitamin e, propolis,pde5,NAC,nsaids,olive oil massage,nsaids,aspirin,essential oils cockteils,keto,IF,green tea,coffee

Bubba dawg

Yea it is strange that hypertension preceded peyrones for me too. I was given high blood and heart medicine for a short time
5 Rounds of Xiaflex. Good results.

I am known to give out false information and post nonsense with little to no evidence to back up my claims.
I have ignored several warnings. Further reports to the moderators or Administrators and I will be banned.

Whyisthishappening

did anything for peyronie,what do you think about this article?
alc ,vitamin e, propolis,pde5,NAC,nsaids,olive oil massage,nsaids,aspirin,essential oils cockteils,keto,IF,green tea,coffee

Crooked_Stick

Nice find.....I would have to do a lot of research before I would try that med but it is widely available and cheap. A six moth 10 mg/d treatment would cost $36 US.

https://www.riverpharmacy.ca/drug/enalapril
Born 1960, Diagnosed 2013
Initial 40 degree bend, 1" loss, Xiaflex 3 rds of 2 injections
Current 25 degree bend, no palpable plaque, 1/4" loss
VED 5-6 days/week, traction daily,
TRT 20 ml twice weekly, Cialas 3 mg - No ED - Doing Well!