Plication procedure my advice...

Previous topic - Next topic

johndoe

Back in 2005 I went to a California based urologist to inquire about my moderate leftward curvature in the middle of my penis. He asked me a bunch of questions (how long have you had the curvature? (as long as I remember getting erections), is it painful? (not really) etc. Without really examining the penis he immediately diagnosed it as congenital curvature and pushed for plication to correct it. I took his word and scheduled a procedure date. Two weeks later I had the plication procedure done with sutures being placed on the right side of the penis to offset the curvature (yeah I know ouch). Was not a fan of the procedure at all!

First, some curvature still remained. If I'm going to spend 5K and "only" had about a 25-30 degree bend, I should be able to achieve a perfectly straight penis; but that wasn't the case. I'd say about 50-60% of the curvature was corrected. Second, and most importantly and the number one reason why I'm against this procedure, the sutures themselves were very bothersome and noticeable. Essential I ended up trading one problem for another. After I was cleared to I started engaging in sex again and with my very first partner post surgery I knew this was going to be an issue I was going to have to deal with. Without getting into too much detail I had an embarrassing moment trying to explain what these huge knots in my penis where and how they were not caused by a sexually transmitted disease. Every partner that I've been with since has commented and inquired about the "bumps" at one point during the relationship. Ironically not one partner I've had presurgery had ever commented on my curvature.

So eventually this lead to me having to return to the urologist two years later to come up with a solution to the bothersome sutures. After the second consultation we decided to remove one of the sutures which, as he explained, would not effect the "correction" and offered a discount on a widening procedure which uses alloderm matrix grafts which would "hide" or lessen the protrusion of the remaining sutures. After the second surgery there was improvement but still some problems remained. Some slight curvature returned with the removal of one of the sutures and the alloderm placement wasn't optimal for hiding the remaining sutures. The one positive out of this procedure was that the placement of the alloderm did do a good job to adding girth to my penis.

I've been in and out of several relationships since my second procedure and still face the same problems in the bedroom (some curvature and bothersome and noticeable sutures). So I find myself back on the forums looking for a new urologist to help correct this current problems. At this point I am deeply considering just having the remaining two sutures removed completely. The only thing I'm worried about is if all my curvature is going to come back. If that's the case, the 5K would've been spent for nothing. I figure if I have to go back under the knife again, I might as well see what I can do to finally rid myself of this issue once and for all.

I guess I just wanted to share my story, encourage others to think twice about plication.
Please go to PROFILE then FORUM PROFILE to replace this signature line text with your profile info such as
age, date of onset, symptoms, treatments tried,
relationship status, etc
** You will waste less time and get better answers **

MattFoley

OK, then ignore my response to the other post since I didn't know about this.

You mentioned something about EMS. Didn't that go a long way to fixing the issue? I thought you were having success with it. Thoughts please.
Got Testosterone?

johndoe

Yes I still use EMS from time to time, I hadn't been on the forums in a while and hadn't updated my progress with it. EMS does a great job of relaxing the muscle or CC where the curvature is but the doesn't do much to whatever it is that is restricting the CC on that side. For example, at normal flaccid state the penis hangs noticeably to the left but after EMS use it hangs straight in the flaccid state. The curvature remains however in the erect state but is slightly less after EMS. Until I do something about the hard restrictive area I don't think EMS or anything else will get me the results I am looking for.  
Please go to PROFILE then FORUM PROFILE to replace this signature line text with your profile info such as
age, date of onset, symptoms, treatments tried,
relationship status, etc
** You will waste less time and get better answers **

Hawk

Hind-sight is 20-20.  My guess is that it was a mistake to have surgery on a fully functional 20 degree curve that no partner ever even noticed or cared about.  The result however at this point seems to be that you have a fully functional penis with more girth and that is a little straighter but has has a couple suture bumps.

I see no issue in a relationship. surely no woman cares since studded condoms, and french tickers have sold for decades.  Some men actually have small beads surgically placed under the skin.  I worked with a guy that freely told people abut his surgery.  If your sutures are that noticeable then they may require some explanation but unless you lead a life on one-nite stands it seems to be a workable explanation.

Consider not obsessing over the "the perfect penis" and enjoy life with someone who has enough depth that you have great sex without them ever thinking twice about it.
Prostatectomy 2004, radiation 2009, currently 70 yrs old
After pills, injections, VED - Dr Eid, Titan 22cm implant 8/7/18
Hawk - Updated 10/27/18 - Peyronies Society Forums