Does anyone know where you can get prescribed topical verapamil in the UK?

Previous topic - Next topic

lukewill

Does anyone know where you can get prescribed topical verapamil in the UK?

Thanks

Luke

Hawk

Why would you want topical Verapamil?  It has a pathetic track record at doing anything but clearing up the lump in your wallet.
Prostatectomy 2004, radiation 2009, currently 70 yrs old
After pills, injections, VED - Dr Eid, Titan 22cm implant 8/7/18
Hawk - Updated 10/27/18 - Peyronies Society Forums

lukewill

because I've read various studies suggesting there may be a chance of improvement by using it. May be a waste of money, but my Peyronies Disease is so severe I literally have nothing to lose apart from as you say money, and quite frankly I can't put a cost on what I would do to fix this.

Like every single therapy - there are studies that show efficacy and others that dispute it - there is no conclusive evidence for any treatment - all you can do is try it, and that;s what I intend doing.

study is below:

INTRODUCTION: Transdermal and intralesional verapamil has been reported to be useful in the treatment of Peyronie's Disease. This study evaluates a topically applied calcium channel blocker (verapamil hydrochloride 15% gel), a topically applied calmodulin blocker (trifluoperazine), and a topically applied weak calcium channel blocker (magnesium sulfate), each incorporated in a transdermal vehicle. AIM: This pilot study was conducted to assess the efficacy of a 15% verapamil gel applied topically to the penile shaft twice daily for the treatment of Peyronie's Disease. MAIN OUTCOME MEASURE: To assess improvement in curvature, plaque size, resolution of painful erections, and improvement in erection quality. METHODS: Two simultaneous, three armed, double blinded, placebo-controlled studies were conducted. After randomization into one of four groups, patients were treated for 3 months. At the end of 3 months' treatment using blinded drug, each patient was treated with open label topical verapamil for 6 months. The studies were completed after each patient had been treated and evaluated for 9 months after randomization. RESULTS: Fifty-seven patients were randomized. In total, 94.4% of patients treated for 9 months with topical verapamil experienced improvement in curvature with an average percent curvature change of 61.1% compared with 43.6% curvature improvement at 3 months. At 9 months the average percent plaque change was 84.7% compared with 55% at 3 months. Pain resolution at 9 months was 100% compared with 87.5% at 3 months. Patient perception of erection quality also increased at 9 months to 81.8% compared with 72.7% at 3 months. CONCLUSIONS: Topical verapamil gel proved effective in eliminating pain on erection, decreasing the size of plaque, decreasing curvature, and improving erection quality in patients with Peyronie's Disease. Treatment results improved significantly after 9 months' treatment as compared with 3 months' treatment.

funnyfarm

If you do not have medical insurance like myself, or a doctor who will write an RX for a compounding pharmacy, you can buy the tablets very cheaply online and then crush and mix with your own transdermal vehicle (ie glycerine, lotion, or oil).  I have done this very effectively with other meds.   Genital skin is thin so I would start with a low concentration.  Others recommend mixing with dmso but I think this is too aggressive.  
When you are in tune with the unknown, the known is peaceful.

Hawk

Lukewill,

Please read the study you posted.  It was 57 people randomized into 4 groups.  That is 14 men in a group.  A respectable study typically contains thousands, often tens of thousands.  This means if even one man happened to have a spontaneous reversal ( or falsely report improvement) that it skews the results by 8 percent.  Next they report 93% of ALL patients had an improvement in curvature.  That means both groups.  That is one bizarre outcome.  Next they indicate that the % of improvement was 61.1% VS. 43.6%. This means someone (patient or researcher) used some method (subjective or objective) to determine one group had a 17% improvement in curve to the group that got nothing.  That is not a 17 degree improvement but a 17 % improvement.  How did the non-Verapamil group report almost a 50% improvement in curvature?

Who conducted this study?  Was it someone with a financial interest?  

I have been on Peyronies Disease forums for over 7 years.  I have conducted a survey on TV and I have heard one rip-off complaint after another.  Here is an example of what was going on clear back in 2006.  Even though some of it may seem to not appy to all TV companies, I suggest you read it all. Report on PDLabs and Topical Verapamil - Peyronies Society Forums

I understand you desperation for a treatment Ian I think TV pushers also understand it.  In fact I think they thrive off of it.  I would suggest that you use your money for something that patients tell you works such as (Pentox, VED, Traction, Surgery) not to mention several supplements that cost little and benefit your health in general.  I think I can number on one hand the patients that claimed any benefit from TV in tens of thousands of posts over the better part of a decade.

Prostatectomy 2004, radiation 2009, currently 70 yrs old
After pills, injections, VED - Dr Eid, Titan 22cm implant 8/7/18
Hawk - Updated 10/27/18 - Peyronies Society Forums

funnyfarm

I do not see how 93% of the patients on the placebo could see in improvement in curvature.  What the heck was the placebo compound ?  Many of us would gladly use it daily for months!

I think Verapamil has a terrible reputation here (rightfully so) because Peyronies Disease Labs has shamelessly plugged it as a magic bullet to cure peyronies, in order to substantiate their absurdly high price from TV.

Verapamil has been off patent for a long time,  in fact I see I can buy 30 tabs for 4.59 from River.  This is probably enough to compound a cream to last 6months applied daily ! Even stateside this is a cheap medication.  Like natural supplements there is little incentive for anyone to study or promote it, due to the low cost and non exclusivity.

The challenge with transdermal drugs is that unlike oral meds, response varies dramatically from person to person based on location on the body, individual skin type, and of course the inactive cream/gel/ointement used to deliver the active ingredient.   Mixed with the wrong carrier I could easily see how none would reach the tunica.  

I still have an open mind though that for some men, with the right transdermal recipe, there is hope for improvement.   Of course we don't know how much, and for what percent of people. So far I have read no studies that indicate it is unsafe.  
When you are in tune with the unknown, the known is peaceful.