Lupus and Peyronie's

Previous topic - Next topic

doraan

As I am relatively young to suffer from peyronie's as well as having lupus, and I can not help but believe the two are connected. For those who don't know, Lupus is an autoimmune disorder which causes antibodies to attack your own body. It mainly effects connective tissue and causes inflammation. This has caused me to wonder whether there is some common immunity issue amongst people with peyronies that leads to the development of peyronies as well as other conditions such as lupus and sjogren's syndrome. I would like anybody with both peyronie's and lupus or an other autoimmune issue to briefly state their condition, how severe their case of peyronie's is, and what, if any, treatments have helped.      

LWillisjr

doraan,

I can completely understand that you believe these are related since you have both conditions. But we can't state this for a fact based on one person's observations. You are the first person I am aware of here that has pointed out this possibility. There could be a common autoimmune disorder that does related the two.
Developed peyronies 2007 - 70 degree dorsal curve
Traction/MEDs/Injections/Surgery 2008 16 years Peyronies free now
My History

George999

I think the term "auto-immune" tends to be a red herring.  The problem is that doctors tend to be very careful with the term "auto-immune".  That is why doctors DO NOT consider Peyronie's to be an "auto-immune" disease at all, even though it involves auto-immune processes.  What doctors really want to see in order to diagnose a condition as being truly "auto-immune" are either key blood markers (anti-bodies) attesting to an auto-immune process OR a very well researched and documented auto-immune process for the disease in question.  Thus Lupus IS classified as being "auto-immune" in nature, but Peyronie's, at this point, is not.  But the doorway to auto-immune conditions is out of control inflammation, and both Lupus and Peyronie's ARE recognized as INFLAMMATORY diseases.  So in reality, systemic inflammation is the bridge between Lupus and Peyronie's and genetic weakness is the determiner.  - George

goodluck

Personally I have Hashimotos disease which is an autoimmune disease that attacks thyroid enzymes and ineffect will eventually make your thyrod stop working.  I may also have Lupus.  That is currently being evaluated.

Before you can officially get the Lupus diagnosis you need to have 4 of the many established symtoms.  Some symptoms are raised antibodies and others are strong physical symptoms such as a rash on your face or fatigue.

Once one has an autoimmune disease it is common to eventually get others over time.  

IMHO, Allopathic medacine does not deal well with autoimmune diseases.  They tend to do nothing until the patient complains too much about symptoms.  Then, they pretty much just chase symptoms. There are some in functional medacine that are looking at treating the immune response by balancing the Th1 and Th 2 immune responses.  I have read of some success with Hashimotos.  In theory it may work with other diseases.  Maybe Peyronies???????

It would be interesting to see how many people have an autoimmune disease and Peyronies. I don't know if the moderators would be interested in setting up such a poll?????????

Certainly, if you have Peyronies it may behove you to get check out for some of the other common autoimmune conditions.  Especially if you sometimes suffer with ocational fatigue, digestive disorders,soft tissue pain or inflamation.  Some doctors see it as unnessisary because they have not  treatment for it. They have a "what's the point" attitude.  I was told by one doctor if I do have the markers indicating I have such a disease it is still not an "actionalble event" (insurance company speak) so they don't want to spend the money on the test.

This is like knowing there is a problem with your oil burner and not trying to fix it or even monitor it until it blows up. IMHO this may save money for insurance companies short term but it keeps the patient ignorant and more vulnerable.  

George999

And if the conventional docs do take action, they tend to throw draconian immune suppression ammo at the disease rather than really trying to short circuit the underlying disease process.

michaelb

I have autoimmune disease and have peyronies. My family has a history of lupus as well.  

boomerang

I have Hughes Syndrome and this can be related to Lupus.  St Thomas' Hospital treats both in the same department.

Hughes Syndrome causes thick sticky blood the treatment is to thin the blood. Blood can be thinned in many ways and several treatments are used.
I have read that there is always a balance between inflammation and repair going on in the body so should this balance be upset then inflammation can go unchecked.

After years of research on the Internet and at hospitals here are my thoughts.

I will not go into great detail but thick sticky blood increases inflammation and inflammation makes blood thicker and stickier which increases inflammation.

Here we see a vicious circle of inflammation and thicker sticky blood.

Underlying conditions such as autoimmune diseases (If there is such a thing) could be the cause as could other underlying disease I suspect.
Strong emotions can also thicken blood too apparently hence raising the risk of heart attack slightly.  Hence prolonged stress may also be to blame.

However these diseases may give many symptoms before finally becoming fully fledged and diagnosable after maybe many years.