Metoprolol and Peyronies Disease

Previous topic - Next topic

Norm

Somewhere in all my reading I read an article that one of the forum members posted regarding the relationship between Peyronies Disease and the use of metoprolol. I would like to find it again so I can take a copy to my doctor. Does anyone know where I might find that post? I have looked and looked until my eyes are as crooked as my dong!  
Plication Surgery Dec. 2013. Straight Again!

George999

Norm,  Peyronie's disease is ACTUALLY listed as a potential side effect of metoprolol.  Go to this page and look down to the bottom of the list:
http://allsideeffects.net/metoprolol-side-effects/
All beta blockers have this potential side effect due to the way they are designed to work at the metabolic level.  The problem is that conventional doctors have no other way to treat certain heart failure situations other than via beta blockers.  They use beta blockers to reduce the load on the heart and thus prevent further heart damage.  There are OTHER ways to treat this situation, but you have to go to an alternative practitioner to access them.  On the other hand, many docs like to use beta blockers to deal with hypertension.  In that case there are many superior drugs that don't have the side effects that beta blockers do.  The ones I like best are ACE inhibitors and ARBS.  Both are available as generics at a reasonable cost.  - George

Hawk

Norm,

Just to help you use the forum to your advantage, be aware that if you click on "SEARCH" in the forum menu, the enter "metoprolol" and put a check mark in front of "SHOW RESULTS AS MESSAGES" you will see many results highlighted in yellow.
Prostatectomy 2004, radiation 2009, currently 70 yrs old
After pills, injections, VED - Dr Eid, Titan 22cm implant 8/7/18
Hawk - Updated 10/27/18 - Peyronies Society Forums

Norm

Sorry, Hawk,
I did that but got no results. I am still learning my way around here, so I probably hit a wrong button. Thanks for your help.  

Norm

George,
You seem to know a lot about this. I started taking metoprolol more than 20 yrs ago. Is there any evidence that the cessation of taking it can reverse any of the Peyronies Disease effects? I would gladly ask my doctor to consider changing me if it's not already too late. Thanks for your previous response. I plan to print that page and take it to my doc.  

George999

Norm,  I really don't think that stopping Metoprolol now would help you a whole lot with your Peyronie's.  It is actually only a trigger anyway, not a low level cause.  The low level cause is the metabolic factor.  Your best shot at getting some degree of reversal is to attack the metabolic side by lowering blood sugar levels.  Blood sugar levels should really never be going over the 120 level.  Few people meet that goal and that makes them vulnerable to all kinds of problems, not just Peyronie's.  Combine that with something like Metoprolol and you raise your risks.  The real reason to get off of Metoprolol is that Peyronie's is just one side effect on an extremely long list.  You really don't want to risk any more of Metoprolol's side effects unless you have to.  I would say that IF you are taking Metoprolol for hypertension, if I was in your shoes, I would want a change in bp meds immediately, in fact, that is what happened in my case.  I demanded to have my medication change so as to be off of Metoprolol, as I was on it when my Peyronie's developed.  Back at that time, Peyronie's was not yet on the side effect list.  It got added later.  All the best to you.  - George

Norm

My fasting sugar is always about 110. But it hardly ever gets over 120 thru the day. A1C is always good. I don't really see how I could improve much on that. I can eat a big greasy lunch and it might hit 125.
I bought acetyl l carnitine, CoQ10, and L Arginine today. I'll start those. I will talk with doc about the beta blockers. I am also on doxazosin, but I don't think that is in the same family. Thanks for your input..

Norm

George,
I forgot mention that I also have knots forming in the palm of my left hand. Sounds like that Dupuytren stuff. I also have a frozen shoulder. I have been known to drink a bit much. And I am, in general, a person who has not taken care of his body. I may have it all stacked against me.  

George999

The ONLY definitive test for blood sugar issues is to consume the equivalent of two large bottles of regular coca cola or some other carbonated beverage and THEN test blood sugar at half hour intervals following.  If any of those readings are over 140, that indicates a problem.  This is known as a GTT or OGTT test.  The common fasting glucose and A1C tests are next to useless in terms of evaluating sugar metabolism.  On a daily basis, serum glucose should never get over 120.  The only way you can be assured that is not occurring is by checking blood sugar 30min and 60min after any meal of beverage.  If you don't check, you won't have a clue as to where it is going.

Doxazosin is an alpha blocker which is also a potential trigger for Peyronie's although in the case of Doxazosin, Peyronie's is NOT listed as a potential side effect.

The reality is that everything you consume, including food, has the potential to cause genetic changes in the body.  These changes can either be beneficial or destructive.  And this is in addition to their direct metabolic consequences.

- George

Quote from: Norm on September 22, 2012, 07:59:21 PM
My fasting sugar is always about 110. But it hardly ever gets over 120 thru the day. A1C is always good. I don't really see how I could improve much on that. I can eat a big greasy lunch and it might hit 125.
I bought acetyl l carnitine, CoQ10, and L Arginine today. I'll start those. I will talk with doc about the beta blockers. I am also on doxazosin, but I don't think that is in the same family. Thanks for your input..

George999

Scar tissue forms as a result of a failure of the healing process in the body.  Blood sugar issues are notorious for interfering with the body's ability to heal properly.  - George

Quote from: Norm on September 22, 2012, 08:03:25 PM
George,
I forgot mention that I also have knots forming in the palm of my left hand. Sounds like that Dupuytren stuff. I also have a frozen shoulder. I have been known to drink a bit much. And I am, in general, a person who has not taken care of his body. I may have it all stacked against me.