mere coincidence? maybe

Previous topic - Next topic

steamer

while pondering the events leading up to my getting this rotten disease i have to wonder if they could have, somehow, contributed to it. i've read how possibly some underlying inflammation may increase the possibility of who gets it and who doesn't. in my case i know for a fact that it was caused by injury BUT... prior to the injury i had some very interesting things occur.
last year,2011, was very VERY stressful and demanding on me both physically and mentally. in the late fall i got very lethargic, tired all the time, aches and pains, fevers out of nowhere, and just not myself. i had to force myself to get up and go deer hunting and whoever knows me, knows that's not me because i love to hunt. iin december i found a lump in my neck. i thought at the time i should have it checked but then just forgot about it. a few months later i noticed it again and went to have it checked by my GP, who by the way is very good. i went through tests and was scheduled for surgery to have it removed for testing. during the wait is when i broke myself. the pain was excruciating and it produced a small lump and then a bruise. i didn't mention it to anyone, wife included, (my bad) within 2 weeks the bend started. i was like this when my surgery came, i didn't say anything to my GP. i had the lymph node removed and they did a very thorough testing of it and found nothing. He did say they thought something looked suspicious and sent it for further testing but it came back in a normal range. they were stumped as to what it could be. all they did say was that it's possible i had had some virus or another inflammation that caused the node to swell. so now i'm wondering if this virus or other inflammation could be why the bending started, in my opinion, so quickly after the injury. after the node was removed the previous symptoms i had pretty much went away. could it have been an inflammation in my lymphatic system? i don't believe i'll ever know the answer to that.
but the bending starting in less than 2 weeks seems rather quick.
any opinions, speculations on this as a contributor?

steamer  

swolf

In my case I think the onset was caused by Lyme disease. I've taken antibiotics over the years for different ailments and I believe those and the antibiotics I took for Lyme contributed, but I really wondering how much the actual Lyme and it's associated inflammation are to blame. Recently (a month ago), about a year after antibiotics seemingly got rid of Lyme symptoms for me, I had a relapse and it was at the same time that I think Peyronie's took a turn for the worse. I could barely move for days before I was able to get back to an acupuncturist (my original one again) and get on an herbal remedy, which now has me back to feeling about 80-90% of where I should be, though I still have muscle soreness and some other problems. It's given me immense internal energy but I still have some of the soreness and it seems the inflammatory response has kicked back in again.

I'm committed to attacking all remnants of Lyme in my system now, and not fully trusting it's gone even after I feel better, but it's notoriously difficult to treat so that will definitely be a battle (one of the biggest parts of the battle is paying for everything; all my money these day goes to health). I am having weird problems with inflammation again though, like recently I injured my foot and toe in a stupid little freak accident that shouldn't have been noticeable for more than a day or two, but my toe ended up completely swollen, I had a big bruise, and now weeks later my toe is still slightly inflamed and slightly painful if pushed the wrong way. I can't stress enough how minor the "injury" was. I just basically hit it on something.

I still am not that knowledgeable about Lyme disease but I'm going to be learning what I can. The book Healing Lyme by Stephen Harrod Buhner has been recommended to me. I wonder, if you love hunting and are outdoors a lot, have you ever contracted Lyme? Even unknowingly it is possible as I think it can lay dormant for a while and you often never notice a tick bite. I am outdoors a lot but the tick bite that infected me I got not even 100 feet from my house (the bulls-eye bruise was the size of a softball). I got bitten on my thigh and the nodes in the inguinal groove (between the abdomen and thigh) were completely swollen. Even if it's not Lyme you may have some other underlying condition.  

steamer

swolf,
lyme was one of the things they checked for and it was negative. sometimes i wonder if it was the lymph node that was the underlying inflammation. don't know if that's possible, though.

steamer

steamer

OH! i also had an abcess removed in february, another source of infection.

steamer

swolf

Lyme is supposedly hard to accurately test for, with a lot of false negative results, but if you haven't felt any symptoms associated with it then you probably don't have it, but it does make me wonder about all the other things out there that could cause inflammation. Viruses, infections, parasites, etc. I had a "super-bug" (antibiotic resistant) parasite years ago that decimated my health and that makes me realize there are a myriad of things in this world you could pick up that exist at a lower level of activity (thus, under the radar somewhat) and bring about chronic conditions like this. I guess when it comes down to it the only thing you can really do is try to stay as healthy as you can, in as many ways as you can -- taking a 'whole system' approach -- and hopefully the body can find it's natural equilibrium and these abnormalities are either subdued or eliminated. I don't know. Everything about my health confuses me.

swolf

Don't mean to hijack your thread but I found this interesting, especially after reading the thread on amino acid deficiencies recently (https://www.peyroniesforum.net/index.php/topic,1156.0.html):

QuotePeople living with Lyme disease are often deficient in a number of very important nutrients, including vitamins (especially B12 and other B vitamins), antioxidants (especially coenzyme-Q10 and alpha-lipoic acid), minerals (especially magnesium), fatty acids (especially omega-3's and GLA), and amino acids (especially carnitine).  Those nutrient deficiencies can leave the body vulnerable to damage that could have been prevented with optimal nutrient levels.  Those deficiencies can leave the body unable to repair itself.  And those deficiencies can lead to many troubling symptoms.  In addition, because of the effects that the disease has on the body,  many people will need much higher levels of certain nutrients, well beyond what would counter a simple deficiency state.  Those higher levels may be crucial for protecting the body and helping to restore normal function.

from http://www.larklands.net/lyme.htm. In addition, I think STRESS, which you mention, is another crucial factor, and it alone can introduce a lot of imbalances into the body.

Luke1

Hey this is my first post here,I just wanted to say that this is the exact same thing that happened to me.
had a fever which lasted two weeks, swollen lymph nodes size of golf balls in my neck, was too tired and sick to even think about erections,
Could not get a proper erection when i got better and had inflammation and scarring? (hard lump) in it.  I was 26.
And was diagnosed with Lyme a year before after trying to find the reason for my life long chronic fatigue  

pey ron

mmm the lymph nodes on my neck are always a bit swollen for no reason...
Please go to PROFILE then FORUM PROFILE to replace this signature line text with your profile info such as
age, date of onset, symptoms, treatments tried,
relationship status, etc
** You will waste less time and get better answers **

swiss

I had an infection in my arm that led to wide spread inflammation in my arm in the form of superficial phlebitis. If this hadnt occured I believe I would be Peyronies Disease free at this moment. Arm is better now took a long time and pain from Peyronies Disease is gone as well.  

Luke1

Is it possible that we had a bout of "diabetic keto-acidosis"