Glossary - info

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawk

With our upgrade Luciano also installed a glossary.  He is working on the scripting code to refine the function of the glossary even further.  In the mean time, we have loaded several dozen words, acronyms and definitions as a start.  You may notice that we have the capability to make some of these words into "tool tips" which means when a member uses one of these words in a post the the word is automatically highlighted.  When a reader mouses over the word it displays the definition without ever leaving the post and going to the glossary.  You can see that feature for instance if I type the word pentox.

Please look at the glossary by clicking on the Glossary menu button above. Let us know what you think.  We also have the ability from within the glossary to allow all who come here to suggest words with definitions.  I think I will consider beginning to turn that feature on by posting group.

Please give us some input to make this forum even better and more helpful to those engaged in the struggle against Peyronies Disease.

Thanks

Hawk
Prostatectomy 2004, radiation 2009, currently 70 yrs old
After pills, injections, VED - Dr Eid, Titan 22cm implant 8/7/18
Hawk - Updated 10/27/18 - Peyronies Society Forums

jackp

Hawk

There is another term for IPP that should be considered.

IPP 3-Piece Inflatable Penile Implant
Provides a more natural appearing erection and greater flaccidity than two-piece or malleable implants. These advanced, three-part prostheses are inflatable implants available in a variety of models and sizes for a custom fit. Each consists of a reservoir implanted in the abdomen, a pump placed in the scrotum and a pair of cylinders implanted in the penis. The entire device is totally concealed in the body.

Jackp
http://jackp-penileimplant.blogspot.com/  

rellisacct

Very Impressive Hawk,

Everything that is done to make the forum look more "professional", the more likely physicians and researchers are to take notice. Great Work!!

Also, do you know how I can contribute financially to the upkeep of the forum? How are expenses handled and is it significant?

Thanks,
rellisacct
"Opportunities multiply as they are seized."
― Sun Tzu

Hawk

Quote from: rellisacct on May 04, 2012, 11:13:47 AM
Also, do you know how I can contribute financially to the upkeep of the forum? How are expenses handled and is it significant

Rellisacct,  Thank you for your offer but I am not ready to make that step just yet.  I have always funded the forum and website out of my own pocket.  I have been able to limit the expenses to just the cost of the domain name renewal fees, the cost of the host that provides the server space, and a Charter Membership at Simple Machines Forums.org so I could get fairly quick answers about our forum software when I needed to fix or change something.  I have mixed feelings about donations.  In the beginning I did not want others to question my motives and it is just my nature to not want to ask for money.  After 7 years and thousands of hours it does cross my mind at times that we could have a much better web page than one I designed years ago if I could pay for someone to design it.  Also,our traffic and disk space are increasing with our growth and I will probably have to soon increase our usage plan with our host.  Bottom line is I may put a paypal donation link on the site for small donations but I have not made up my mind.  If I did, I would probably also post income and expenditure data as well.

I am also committed to staying ad free and free of drug companies and others with commercial interests.  One other site is beginning to look like a commercial for companies pushing an agenda and for people selling books or products.

Thanks again for your offer and thanks to those that contribute hours of their own time to things like moderating and administering the forum, providing content, working on projects.

Hawk

Hawk

Quote from: jackp on May 04, 2012, 11:10:30 AM
There is another term for IPP that should be considered.

IPP 3-Piece Inflatable Penile Prosthesis
Jack, thanks for the input.  I do have a brief description under penile implant. We have a few limitations.  If we want the word to highlight in posts the definition has to be pretty brief which would limit it to one definition.  This means that using the abbreviation IPP for 2 different words on the forum causes unavoidable confusion, especially for new members that need the most help.

I suggest we simply say 3 piece implant if we want to be clearly understood since IPP is a well established term for Peyronies Disease in most of Europe.

Hawk

jackp

Hawk

Sounds great to me. I did not want to cause any confusion.

Jack

Hawk

At this point, I think EVERYONE can see the option to "add a new word" when they click on the glossary.  This means guests and all members should be able to suggest words and definition for approval.  Please take the time.  If you have a word without a definition just put a period in the definition area and we will try to furnish a definition.

Thanks for the help and support.

Hawk