New member history

Previous topic - Next topic

firstcav

Age - 65

Age at onset of Peyronies Disease

I am 65 years old from the southern U.S., and was diagnosed about six weeks ago with Peyronies in a very brief visit with my urologist after experiencing pain. He was headed out the door for emergency surgery, had little time to discuss it with me, but told me there was basically nothing I could do about it. What I have learned about the condition is basically from Internet research.

I became impotent about two years ago. That is i could not achieve an erection (with ED meds) for intercourse, only a partial erection. That remains my condition today. I have no underlying conditions, such as high blood pressure, diabetes, drug interactions, don't smoke and don't take antidepressants -- none of the conditions normally associated with ED. I've never been diagnosed with venous leakage, though I suppose that could be a problem. I never suffered that at any point in my life, however, and ED drugs always worked until roughly two years ago.

Last September, after running through all my options, my urologist suggested injections. I started off with the bi-mix and it (with increasing dosages) worked great for about four months. Then it stopped working completely. I was switched to the tri-mix, but nothing happened with that. I learned to handle the needle and didn't have any problems giving myself shots. One day, however, I gave myself a shot a little too high up on the side of my penis. It severely bruised my penis, though my urologist's nurse said there was nothing to worry about. Though I've not had a chance to discuss this with my doctor, I firmly believe that the bruising from that injection and the likely destruction of the tiny blood vessels inside my penis led to the scarring that appeared a few months later on the top side, near the head of my penis.

My wife has been very supportive and patient with me throughout. I still take an ED drug and can get a semi-erection; no intercourse, of course, but plenty of oral sex. There is some tenderness, but not much pain at this point. I tried a vacuum/pump device, but I believe the one I purchased was not the quality I needed (though I paid $200). It has caused me painful erections that don't last.

From what I have read, the advice is to wait a year to 18 months to see how the disease advances. I've been thinking about a penile transplant (have Medicare now) to resolve the ED and Peyronies problems, but not sure how much, if any, Medicare would pay for such an expensive procedure.

Psychological Impact - Even though I'm 65, I still work full-time and still have a strong sex drive. I feel badly about the fact that I cannot fully satisfy my wife the way I once could. We've been married for 30 years and have had a great sex life. It saddens me greatly to see it end like this.

I am here to learn all I can.