Traction Suggestions

Previous topic - Next topic

joel0711

My doctor has recommended using a traction device. I presently am using VED  20 to 30 minutes per day.
Having never used a traction device I'm somewhat worried that it will be difficult to do 4 hours per day.
Do these devices limit your activity such as yard work,bending,stooping,carrying things? I sure dont have 4 hours a day to take it easy while wearing one.  I dont want to spend a couple of hundred dollars on a device I will end up not using to it's full extent.
Any advise/recommendations appreciated!!

joel0711

My doctor has recommended using a traction device. I presently am using VED  20 to 30 minutes per day.
Having never used a traction device I'm somewhat worried that it will be difficult to do 4 hours per day.
Do these devices limit your activity such as yard work,bending,stooping,carrying things? I sure dont have 4 hours a day to take it easy while wearing one.  I dont want to spend a couple of hundred dollars on a device I will end up not using to it's full extent.
Any advise/recommendations appreciated!!

LWillisjr

They are a bit combersome to wear. You wear them under loose pants like sweat pants or shorts. I never could wear it under jeans or pants. You could do some light activty with it on. I would be skeptical about doing any yardwork while wearing it. It also takes a bit of getting use to at first. It is a big time commitment.
Developed peyronies 2007 - 70 degree dorsal curve
Traction/MEDs/Injections/Surgery 2008 16 years Peyronies free now
My History

fubar

Joel

Adont spend hundreds of dollars. I bought two size doctors one female Amazon.com and one from converter lab.They are 42. 00$converter lab and 48.00$ at Amazon.com.Same thing as the exspensive ones just not costing you ams arm ams a leg.I was hesitant about traction so when saw these for cheap I jumped iM the deal.

Does take a bit to get use to but I do wear mine under slacks and jeans.I wear mine at work ams have cut the grass with it on.I'm at work sand wearing mine know.I have been geting in out of a truck walking up stair.I think I could probably run with the thing on.At 42.00$ its worth a shot ! I know it is helping me.

Fubar

mike67

Hi Fubar
I am reading through the John Parks link and studying his use a  traction devise instead of a VED , as well as the rest of his cure story. I am getting nowhere with my VED after 13 months continual useage. Impatient ?? You have previously suggested Traction. I may be ready to break away and get on Traction.
This is timely and I will bring it up this Wednesday evening at the first Peyronies Support Group session in Hamilton , Ontario .
Mike67
Mikey

fubar

Mike

I am still having success with traction .I have been wearing it for four and a half hours so far today.I'm at work and have been comfortable all day hardly know its there.It gets much easier once your body is a custom to the device.Got to go!

Fubar

joel0711

Thanks for the heads up on getting a device at a cheaper price. I'll order one and try it out,since my Dr. suggested it.----

Gap

Hey Fubar, I see there are two from Converter labs, one for $79 and one for $48, which would you recommend. Also, I am 33, I have a 2mm calcification, some additional hardened tissue, no ED, and I have an 80 degree bend at the base. I am taking penta, arginine, and vitamin e (orally). In your opinion is a traction device a better option for me than VED?  
"I can feel it in my hip"

fubar

I can only speak about my own experience with the device.I would by the cheaper one because of many of the devices true comfort strap does not work.See the noose hugs underneath the head f your penis.

Really don't spend alot of money on a traction device they are of the same.engineering .Ved different story you need a medical device to get a proper stretch safely.

Fubar

samsabina

You can't really do much other than computer work or TV with a traction device.
You don't have to do all four hours at the same time (my doc said 2 hours, but 4 is certainly better).

So if you could do an hour of email with it, then an hour of TV in the evening, it's better than not doing it.  

BrooksBro

My experience is that I could only do sedentary things while wearing the traction device.  I had to wear it hanging down, and wore loose shorts to facilitate this.  If I wore it up, one testicle would slip inside the base ring, which could result in injury.  Wearing it 2-hours straight became tolerable, but was always uncomfortable where it secured under the glans.

For me, traction was effective in restoring natural length, but did not seem to have much favorable effect on reducing my curve.

The combination of traction and VED produced the best overall results.  If I had to choose only one therapy, it would be VED because I think it does more for total penis health than does traction.  I used traction for 6-8 months before switching to the VED.

fubar

Just an observation using traction.You may find the placement and and donning the gear easier after having an erection.I stiil want to stress not pushing it to the point it hurts and your yanking your head off.

Always observe caution and safety and dont try having erections in the contraption.If you do experience pain and discomfort. Se what is going on and protect yourself.Do not go to sleep in traction as you will be unaware of what is going on through the night.

Fubar

Gap

How long did/do you wear it? Not per day, but duration of trial? Thanks

fubar

Sorry

Do not know where you are comming from as you seem to be a spammer.we do not sell your products.

Fubar

Gap

fubar

Hugh is international for, yeah i do not know what the " f" is  going on ! Honestly hope that does not offend you my good friend.

Fubar

mike67

Traction Suggestions I guess??
I am into my second week of using the Fast Size traction device. What a pain it is trying to fit the penis into and between the vinyl tubes. I have tried using gauze to lessen discomfort. That doesn't work as the penis slides out of the device. I am trying a small piece of flannel cloth and that is better.
But what about all those extra brass tubes that come with it??
I don't imagine anyone eventually gets a length that includes attaching all of them at the same time. I don't know when and how to extend the attachments and also to alleviate the discomfort of trying to get the tip into the end and close down the 2 pieces. Not as easy as described.
It is a daily juggling act. Do you pull down the spring attachment ,  place your tip and then tighten up the claps?
I have Dr. Lervine's 3 page notes but easier said that done.
Any suggestions from experienced users ?
Thanks
Mike
Mikey

LWillisjr

Mike,
Starting off I wish I had 3 hands, but you get pretty good at it after awhile. The key is don't get too agressive at first. And you have to experiment with and adjust the number of lengthening rods.

Optimally you need to place the round end over your penis and set this flush against your body. And then compress the device (springs), and while holding the compression... you lay the the head of your penis in the cradle and place the silicon strap just under the glans and tighten into place. THEN, slowly release the compression of the springs so this will now place tension along the length of your penis. If the tension is too much, then you need to take out a section of the lengthening rods as this would be a sign your rods are too long.

My History

mike67

Thanks LWillisjr
You are correct. Having 3 hands would help.  :) I have been following those instructions and started wrapping a thin piece of flannel around the tip where the silicone strap pulls the penis into place.  It seems to be making it more comfortable.
Also I see that a gentle massage after each 2 hour session is necessary and soothing.
The Fast Size rod that is on the initial installation , is extended by unscrewing it to extend from total 6 cm to 8 1/2 , before it would fall off. So I put penis in place , tighten the straps(that takes awhile) then unscrew those rods to the point before they would fall off to add the length of stretch. That helps instead of having to stretch the flacid penis to the limit while attempting to secure it in place. How does that procedure sound to you?
  I have started adding a small 1 cm rod and will work with that for awhile.
I guess you start adding rods as your flacid penis becomes longer to comfortably work with the added traction?
Mike Hays ( USPhysioMed ) said that you should feel pressure , not too much , as the indication you are getting benefit i.e have added ample rods to the length.
I am up to about 2 sessions of 2 hrs daily.
Question for you Les: I know the more time spent the better. Can you do 2 hours , rest for a couple of hours , then go again later for another 2 hour session and repeat ? Or do they intend , for best results , that you should just take the 15 minute break then immediately reinstall it for the next 2 hours etc etc.?
The shipment unfortunately did not include Dr. Levine's DVD. Apparently no longer available. But he did send Dr. Levine's booklet "Understanding Peyronie's Disease ".  
My surgeon did send me Dr. Levine's Word  sheet " Instructions for External Penile Traction Device".
Did you have to use traction after your surgery?
Thanks so much.
Mike
Mikey

LWillisjr

Quote from: mike67 on April 02, 2012, 11:21:28 AM
So I put penis in place , tighten the straps(that takes awhile) then unscrew those rods to the point before they would fall off to add the length of stretch. That helps instead of having to stretch the flaccid penis to the limit while attempting to secure it in place. How does that procedure sound to you?

What you described makes sense. I never tried it this way. Basically you are strapping in, and then applying tension by unscrewing the rods.

I have started adding a small 1 cm rod and will work with that for awhile.
I guess you start adding rods as your flaccid penis becomes longer to comfortably work with the added traction?

Yes. And Levine told me just to do this to a "comfortable stretch". Two words I never thought I would use together when talking about my penis (comfortable and stretch). Many of these traction devices are for penile lengthening and can get pretty aggressive with stretching if you follow their directions. Go at your own pace.

Question for you Les: I know the more time spent the better. Can you do 2 hours , rest for a couple of hours , then go again later for another 2 hour session and repeat ? Or do they intend , for best results , that you should just take the 15 minute break then immediately reinstall it for the next 2 hours etc etc.?

Great question. I asked this a few times and never got a clear answer. I think the preferred way is to only do the short breaks in between. But if you need longer breaks in between sessions this is still better than not at all. Levine always suggested for 6-8 hours a day. Best I could do was 4 hours of an evening at home after work with a 15-30 minute break in between.

The shipment unfortunately did not include Dr. Levine's DVD. Apparently no longer available. But he did send Dr. Levine's booklet "Understanding Peyronie's Disease ".  
My surgeon did send me Dr. Levine's Word  sheet " Instructions for External Penile Traction Device".
Did you have to use traction after your surgery?
Thanks so much.
Mike

Yes I did do traction but not immediately after surgery. I think he has me wait for my first 6 week post op checkup. Then he has me start traction after this for about 3-4 months. He said it was good to keep the graft stretched a bit as it was "settling in"

Les
My History

mike67

Thanks for your several helpful comments Les. I mark the base rod close to the top with a felt marker so I know when to stop unwinding. Then wind back to the beginning and enter the thing , wrap with a bit of soft cloth before strapping down.
I think you are right that consecutive time is best but not always convenient. Doing 2 hour "stretches" at intervals is next best and I am sure of benefit.
On good days I manage 3 plus hours but know that I must build to a longer duration.
We are going to Fla Friday and I think I may take a  Peyronies Disease break for a couple of weeks and leave the apparatus at home. Then again I will probably toss it into the suitcase , in the event I decide to wear it to the beach. ;D ;D
Thanks again.

Mike
Mikey

LWillisjr

Quote from: mike67 on April 03, 2012, 07:44:43 PM
Then again I will probably toss it into the suitcase , in the event I decide to wear it to the beach. ;D ;D
Thanks again.

Mike

Just don't pack the speedo!!
My History