what surgeon is the best?

Previous topic - Next topic

raz

What surgeon is the best and has the best success rates? If I get surgery I want to see the best surgeon because I know this is a serious surgery. I know dr.levine looks like he's very knowledgeable about it, but I don't know his success rates in surgery. I don't really care where the surgeon is located as long as it's in the united states. Thanks.

LWillisjr

Raz211,
It depends on the type of surgery. There is plication, excision and grafting, implants, and various methods of each. It also depends on your particular case history, previous treatments tried, erection quality, etc.

A quick answer would seem that Levine might excell with plication and excision/grafting. Milan would seem to be best for implants. However both have very positive reputations with members of this forum. Feel free to IM me if you have questions.
Developed peyronies 2007 - 70 degree dorsal curve
Traction/MEDs/Injections/Surgery 2008 16 years Peyronies free now
My History

jackp

raz

I agree with Les. Very few doctors are well qualified to help us. A little more of your history or a description of your problems would help us guide you.

Jackp

raz

well I believe it's some type of congenital curvature rather than peyronie's. I don't feel a plaque or hard area. My right side is longer than my left side and it appeared during puberty, and I had no injury. I don't have pain in my erections and I'm almost straight when erect but when flaccid there's around 20 or more degrees of curvature. I think the nesbit operation would work well for me.

CongenitalCurve

I just had my Nesbit surgery with Dr Levine a few days ago.  Like you, I had a lateral congenital curvature, but it was 35 degrees when erect and much less or less noticeable when flaccid.

A successful Nesbit procedure would be defined as one that results in a straight penis during erection.  Residual curvature of up to 10 degrees is usually considered to be successful by most surgeons and the vast majority of patients as well.  Often, the penis will still be curved and not significantly changed when flaccid.   From what I understand, it seems that no surgical treatment is geared towards correcting flaccid curvature which may not even be possible.    If your flaccid curvature is 20 deg, how many degrees would you estimate when erect?   If it is getting close to 10 deg you may not need surgery.  Dr Levine may have other options so I would still seek a consultation with him.

LWillisjr

Raz211,
I agree from your description that it seems you may have congenital curvature. I understand your concern about having curvature while flacid. I believe any good surgeon will ask you if you have pain with erections or do you have severe curvature when erect such that it interfere with sexual intercourse. If you answer no to both of these then a good surgeon (and most of us on this forum) would advise against surgery. While many here have had a positive experience with surgery, it is not without risks and long term side effects.

While I understand your concern for how it looks, I would not recommend surgery for a "cosmetic" correction.
My History

raz

well my reason for wanting surgery isn't for cosmetic reasons it's more psychological reasons. I've had this for 9 years since puberty, and it has bothered me psychologically everyday. I know my quality of life would be a lot better if I had a successful surgery. I also feel like the structure of my penis would be stronger if the curvature was fixed, and I get paranoid that it'll buckle during an erection and that it'll cause a fracture and I'll end up with damage and more curvature.

PD_SUCKS

Quote from: raz211 on December 05, 2010, 03:02:43 PM
What surgeon is the best and has the best success rates? If I get surgery I want to see the best surgeon because I know this is a serious surgery. I know dr.levine looks like he's very knowledgeable about it, but I don't know his success rates in surgery. I don't really care where the surgeon is located as long as it's in the united states. Thanks.

Raz - I am with you all the way! My current urologist says there are not many options left for me aside
from A.) dealing/living with it (using a pump and traction device) and B.) Surgery.

I do have an appointment set up with Dr. Levine in about a month, but it will cost me $1000+ (not
including travel expenses, etc...) just for a consultation and a penile ultrasound scan. I'm sure he's
a competent doctor, and my physician recommends him, but I too want to see the best. It's not like
I have surgery done on my penis every day! Anywhere in the US would be fine, even Canada!

I am about to confirm or cancel my appt soon =/

CongenitalCurve

Raz,

I understand you completely regarding the psychological reasons for wanting surgery.  I also understand why others might think surgery is not needed for less severe cases where you can still have satisfying intercourse.   I would say that if you feel you must, then you must.  That is how I felt and I was willing to take the risk.  I still caution you that if your curvature when erect is less than 20% you may not end up with much improvement.  The doctor said post surgery that I was "ring toss straight" when he was finished and so far that seems to be the case although I may have a slight twist (preexisting, masked by my curvature, not correctable with this procedure, and in no way due to anything Dr. Levine did).   I am satisfied so far, but remember you may not end up perfectly straight so only you can decide if surgery is the right option for you.

While our curvature is a lot less severe than most others posting here, we both know that it has caused us severe psychological distress just the same.  It's all relative.  So while surgery should be a last resort, do your homework, have realistic expectations based on fact and research, and make the decision that is right for you.  Just be prepared for the worst.  Even with the best doctor, this is still a procedure with a lot of risk and you have to be prepared to lose everything should things go wrong.

Raz, may I ask how old you are?  I am in my 40's and I lived with this for over 25 years.  I have had great sex over the years and was married for 9 years (now divorced) and yet I still felt I HAD to have this surgery.  I suppose I wish I could have done this back when I was young, but I also know that my age and my experience prepared me and helped me to make this decision.  If you are young and have not had much experience with women, I can tell you there are many women who would not be put off by your curvature.  You may find you can be very happy as you are.  You can always have surgery later.  Once you have the surgery it cannot be undone so please take your time in making a decision.  

raz

I'm 22 and noticed this for around 10 years (since puberty). I've had plenty of experience with women, and I'm not afraid of womens' thoughts of my curvature or anything like that. It's just really beat down on me and im unhappy with myself, I don't even want to get into a relationship because I'm so bothered by this condition, and I don't really want to engage in sex because I fear it's going to "give in" on the bend. It's always on my mind and I can't enjoy anything in life because of it.  

Dabak

While I have only one data point for comparison, I would vote for Dr Lue at UC San Francisco Medical.  Had the surgery two days ago, some pain but not overwhelming.  I didn't feel the need for the Vicodin they prescribed, and seem to be recovering well.  Everything seems straightened out, albeit a bit shorter.  Given that my bend was close to 90 degrees (two adjacent calcifications, with the bend between them), this is an improvement.

firecap

Try Dr Tom Lue. Look him up on the web. He is a world renown Peyronies Disease doctor. He performs the 16 dot plication surgery. I think you will be pleased. I have an appointment with him in February. I will be traveling from Orange County CA.

wwilson

I just had a surgery for my congenital penile curvature and I had it with Dr. Drogo K. Montague. I had the penile plication procedure and it's been 3-4 weeks after the surgery and I feel just fine and I am perfectly straight! = )!! I didn't lose much length at all almost feels the same. Anyways I looked Dr. Montague up online and he has been in this business for about 40 years and is head of the American urological assc. That really reassured me for the surgery. But he has lots of exp. I reccomend him! = )

chrisbates

I just completed 3 series of 6 interferon injections each.  The theory was that it would soften the plaque enough to allow for partial
curvature correction.

It didn't do much as far as correcting the curvature; but it did soften the plaque which means that my erection is less functional because there's "bend" at insertion because of the soft plaque.

I'm weighing between patch corporoplasty (incision+graft) and implant.  The patch would straighten me out, but I might not have
as stiff an erection as I want, causing partial dysfunction.  On the other hand, an implant would provide stiffness, but not correct the curvature entirely.

My local urologist told me there's more risk with the implant, and recommended considering the patch first.  

I'd love to hear from anyone who's faced a similar question. Thanks in advance.

Hawk

Chris,

The biggest question of all is who is your surgeon?

Next is how much of a curve do you have?

When you Dr said there is more risk with the implant what did that mean?  Risk of what exactly?
Prostatectomy 2004, radiation 2009, currently 70 yrs old
After pills, injections, VED - Dr Eid, Titan 22cm implant 8/7/18
Hawk - Updated 10/27/18 - Peyronies Society Forums

LWillisjr

Quote from: chrisbates on October 14, 2012, 02:37:38 PM
I'm weighing between patch corporoplasty (incision+graft) and implant.  The patch would straighten me out, but I might not have
as stiff an erection as I want, causing partial dysfunction.  On the other hand, an implant would provide stiffness, but not correct the curvature entirely.

My local urologist told me there's more risk with the implant, and recommended considering the patch first.  

I'd love to hear from anyone who's faced a similar question. Thanks in advance.

chrisbates,
I had a 70 degree dorsal curve midshaft. Was able to achieve full erections with no pain. I went to Dr. Levine. He suggested that since I could achieve a good erection prior to surgery, that I should be able to afterwards. Excision and grafting done properly by a GOOD surgeon and no complications shouldn't effect your ability to achieve and maintain an erection. BUT, if you have problems achieving an erection prior to surgery, then the excision and grafting surgery obviously won't do anything to improve this.

So bottom line is it depends on your current erection quality. If good erections are a problem, then I think you should investigate an implant. Would encourage to PM jackp on the forum for information.
My History