Anyone regretted having surgery?

Previous topic - Next topic

MarkDS

I had incision and grafting surgery 6 weeks ago, and currently have feelings of deep regret.

I had a 100 degree bend, and things were not good.  I went for surgery,  being pushed for time as I was losing my job, and my insurance with it.

Since surgery I have gone from 7 inches to 5 at best, and have a residual curve of around 45 degrees.  I have started taking 5mg daily tadalafil, as the surgeon thought maybe I wasn't getting a full erection.  But 5 days in and there has been no improvement.

I'm struggling to keep positive.

So just wondered if anyone else had regretted going under the knife?
49 yrs old, Married
Peyronie's started 2016
Upward curve of 100 degrees  
Incision/grafting surgery in 6/2019.  Resulted in loss of length of around 1.5 inches, residual curve of over 40 degrees, some ED
12/2019 had failed skin anchoring procedure

TDix

I would be patient.  6 weeks post op is still early in the healing process.  I am 3 months post op and still healing.  Give it some time.  Even though this procedure is somewhat considered outpatient, it is still a pretty major surgery.  
47 yrs old, 3 yrs diagnosed
Xiaflex w/original uro resulted in a fracture
Excision/grafting by Dr Faysal Yafi 3/26/19
Implanted by Dr Yafi 8/11/20, Titan 20cm + 1cm RTE

MarkDS

Thanks for the encouragement.

Tried having sex this morning.  Complete disaster.  Couldn't maintain what erection I could get, very little feeling in the head, had to give up.

My wife is understanding and says I am putting too much pressure on myself.  Although I know she is right, I also know things are so far away from where they should be.

49 yrs old, Married
Peyronie's started 2016
Incision/grafting surgery in 6/2019.  Resulted in loss of length of around 1.5 inches, residual curve of over 40 degrees, some ED

TonySa

It could certainly take time to get your full erection capability back.  What does doc say about length loss, what might help if anything?  VED, traction, time, etc?
PxD 2 yrs 9/16.  Failed all treatment. 9/11/18: excision, grafting & implant Dr Karpman MtnView Ca, AMS CX 18cm + 3-1cm RTEs.
Pump failed.  2/11/20 Dr Karpman installed Titan 22cm +1cm RTE.

Christopher1

Do you have any risk factors for poor healing - like diabetes or tobacco use?
Snake Diet + 5-day fasts + pentox + NeoV's stretching routine + Mito Red Light. Curvature 99% gone.

I also used Todd Capistrant's "Fascial Distortion Model" to help my curvature. Start slowly.

MarkDS

My surgeon has said for me to use a VED, so I have started that.  I am also taking 5mg tadalafil, but had a painful lower back since starting 5 days ago.  So I am going to stop it for a few days to see if my back gets better.

Surgeon was surprised at the loss of length, and said he hadn't done anything that would cause it.  However, if the graft is not particularly stretchy, then I can't quite understand how have a large graft would not impact length.

I am also experiencing some pain around the graft both directly, but also in soft tissue in general area due to the hard graft constantly pushing into my groin.

Circumcision scar is also painful still.

I have no reason for poor heeling.  I do not smoke and do not have diabetes.  Although am taking riveroxoban for DVT, and have arthritis.
49 yrs old, Married
Peyronie's started 2016

Chiefy

I had my surgery on 8 Mar, and haven't had an erection since.  I had a 90% curve before but no ED whatsoever.  I saw my doc yesterday and now it looks like I'm left with only an implant option.  I'ts interesting you mentioned a length loss.  I had been told that this surgery did not result in a loss of length.  I can tell just by stretching it I've got a significant loss too.  I asked my doc about it and his story changed to "not as much a loss as with plication..."    
Peyronies for 2+ years.  Have ED for 8 months
Tried Xiaflex, 3 cycles, zero improvement
Had incision & grafting surgery, Feb 2019.  Fixed curve (I think) but resulted in substantial length & girth loss. 
Facing implant as remaining option

TonySa

My doc said w incision and grafting one should return to their current preop stretched length.  If you had lost length due to peyronies, I think that could only be gained by traction 6 months after the graft is fully healed.
PxD 2 yrs 9/16.  Failed all treatment. 9/11/18: excision, grafting & implant Dr Karpman MtnView Ca, AMS CX 18cm + 3-1cm RTEs.

Christopher1

Provided your blood albumin levels are around 4, you can try prolonged fasting.

Autophagy can greatly help in the healing of surgical scars.

If your albumin is low (i.e. you are malnourished and need protein to heal), do not do this.
Snake Diet + 5-day fasts + pentox + NeoV's stretching routine + Mito Red Light. Curvature 99% gone.

I also used Todd Capistrant's "Fascial Distortion Model" to help my curvature. Start slowly.

TDix

I too thought I lost some length with my surgery, but after 9 weeks, it started to come back.  I am now where I was pre surgery, and hopefully can "maybe" get that 1/2 inch back that I had before this condition.  It is a slow waiting game after surgery, as we all heal differently.  With no definite timetables online for what to expect, we throw darts out there hoping one will hit its mark and you get your answer.  Hang in there, I was told I may take a year to get back to "normal" after surgery.  I will say that each week things change.

MarkDS

My main issue seems to be that the graft is large, rock hard and totally inflexible.  I wonder if this will soften over time.

I have another appointment with the surgeon in August, so hoping things will improve before then.

Been 8 weeks and still not managed penetrative sex.  Hopefully that will improve or all will have been for nothing.  
49 yrs old, Married
Peyronie's started 2016

TDix

Things will improve Mark.  Think about this, I had a fracture from a Xiaflex injection last September that left my penis looking like it got hit with a sledgehammer, and it returned to normal.  Surgery is very invasive, so healing, especially with a graft, takes awhile.  You are impatient like I am to get that normal penis back.  It will happen, just give it time

deliverance

I feel you. I was in almost the exact same situation. 90 degree bend.
Ultimately, i don't regret my surgery cause at that time i could not even have sex, but i lost around 5-6 centimeters and that really messed me up. And still is.

I don't think i'll ever really get over it, or accept is at such. But what choice do i have but to carry on with it.
EDIT: difference is i had a plication surgery. But the outcome was fairly similar.

MarkDS

Good to hear other experiences.

Even though you have lost 5 cm, are you now straight?

My issues are I have lost length, but also have a residual curve to the left, and, what I think, is a residual upwards curve.

The surgeon looked at a photo and thought it was about a 15 degree curve, however I looks more like 45 degrees to me!

I guess it depends on wether you measure angle on the top edge or bottom edge, as there is a significant difference.
49 yrs old, Married
Peyronie's started 2016

TonySa

Measure through the center of the shaft.  Imagine a line drawn down your penis on the exposed side.

deliverance

They had to re-do my surgery twice. The last time, they got it straight. So at the cost of losing 2 inches, i don't have a curve anymore.