Antidepressants and Peyronie's Disease

Previous topic - Next topic

Worried89

I've scoured this forum for threads on SSRIs and any possible connections to Peyronie's Disease, but as expected I found no definitive answers and wildly different anecdotes. After three years of delaying medical treatment for my OCD and Depression due to fear of its sexual side effects or any other side effects exacerbating my Peyronie's, I've reached a point where my quality of life has deteriorated such that I need something to take the edge off; after consulting with a very well respected psychiatrist, he recommended Fluvoxamine (Luvox) beginning with 50 mg.

It's been years since I've taken any SSRIs; the last time was two years before Peyronies Disease manifested, and I have no reason to connect the two. However, I'd like anyone with any intel on this to help me acquire any information on whether Fluvoxamine, or SSRIs in general can indeed make Peyronies Disease worse, or if I have nothing to worry about provided that I can still get healthy erections regularly.

Edit: Also, I heard that SSRIs can raise blood sugar. Might this not also increase the risk of exacerbating Peyronie's?

Thanks in advance for any and all help.

Worried89

I hate to bump this, but I'd really appreciate some info before I put myself on an SSRI and risk any further worsening of my Peyronies Disease. Thanks.

TonySa

Def give it a try!  If it gives you any sexual side effects then work w your doc.  (Sometimes causes delayed orgasm.). You may also want to ask about Wellbutrin.  Usually much less sexual side effects and available as generic.
PxD 2 yrs 9/16.  Failed all treatment. 9/11/18: excision, grafting & implant Dr Karpman MtnView Ca, AMS CX 18cm + 3-1cm RTEs.
Pump failed.  2/11/20 Dr Karpman installed Titan 22cm +1cm RTE.

Worried89

I don't just want to try it without any info. Are there any studies about this matter? Is it the SSRI itself that can trigger Peyronies Disease activation, or is it the risk of it developing from the medication's sexual side effects?

TonySa

PxD 2 yrs 9/16.  Failed all treatment. 9/11/18: excision, grafting & implant Dr Karpman MtnView Ca, AMS CX 18cm + 3-1cm RTEs.

Worried89

Do you have any resources or studies you can link? Or discussions? You have no idea how worried I am about starting Luvox. I'm going out of my mind.

TonySa

That's the point, no studies indicate it causes peyronies.  I think it's your anxiety immobilizing you.  Counseling can also help, especially cognitive behavioral therapy.

Christopher1

SSRIs are well known to cause sexual dysfunction (i.e. ED).

SSRIs --> increase serotonin --> serotonin has been correlated to fibrosis. Peyronies Disease is fibrosis.

It's possible. No evidence on it though. Decent hypothesis.
Snake Diet + 5-day fasts + pentox + NeoV's stretching routine + Mito Red Light. Curvature 99% gone.

I also used Todd Capistrant's "Fascial Distortion Model" to help my curvature. Start slowly.

TonySa

Not really, so MANY men have taken antidepressants for years, we would have heard something by now.

Wolf90

Does anyone have any further advice about this? I'm in a similar situation to the OP; can SSRIs like Zoloft cause Erectile Dysfunction that can make your Peyronie's Worse? Or even potentially raise insulin and blood glucose which can progress the Peyronie's further? I found some links about Sertraline (Zoloft) and insulin and glucose that are equivocal; there doesn't seem to be a consistent answer (links below). My mental health has really deteriorated, but I can't bear the thought of taking a pill that can worsen my condition. I'm stuck in a real catch-22. Stable Peyronies Disease but depressed and despairing, or potentially worse Peyronies Disease but a better mood.

The effects of sertraline on blood lipids, glucose, insulin and HBA1C levels: A prospective clinical trial on depressive patients
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3434892/

Plasma insulin levels are increased by sertraline in rats under oral glucose overload
https://www.scielo.br/pdf/bjmbr/v34n12/4110.pdf  

Sertraline-induced hyperglycemia: case report
https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.2190/L2M6-Y6XT-KR7U-CAVT

Sertraline in coexisting major depression and diabetes mellitus
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/9230640/#:~:text=Sertraline%20may%20be%20an%20effective,open%20studies%2C%20replication%20is%20essential.
If you want answers, Please help us by filling in your signature block

Click here for Directions

TonySa

SSRIs don't trigger Peyronie's.  They may cause delayed orgasm...if it's a problem they may try another RX such as Wellbutrin.  Just work closely w your doc.

peter123

Quote from: Christopher1 on June 29, 2019, 12:27:10 AM
SSRIs are well known to cause sexual dysfunction (i.e. Erectile Dysfunction).

SSRIs --> increase serotonin --> serotonin has been correlated to fibrosis. Peyronies Disease is fibrosis.

It's possible. No evidence on it though. Decent hypothesis.

This is not a decent hypothesis., ou know how many drugs should theoretical, have a positive effect on peyronie's but end up being placebos in studies? OP I think if you make sure to get consistent good erection it should be fine, I'd get on taladafil for that as well.  
THIS USER HAS BEEN BANNED FROM FORUM FOR REPEATED RULE VIOLATIONS He never had Peyronies Disease but has body dysmorphia and his pastime was to attack all treatments, medical resources, and opinions.