Icing - Any experience with this?

Previous topic - Next topic

JohnnyDoe

I am in the active phase and frequently feel pain/discomfort on both sides of the penis. A few days ago it was stressing me out, because the pain was mild but continuous. So I tried icing it for 1-2 minutes, with a thin cloth in between. To my surprise the pain was gone almost immediately, have been doing this the last few days whenever I feel pain and it gives the same effect. The pain comes back in 1-2 days and no change in curvature / dents yet.
My thinking is that icing stops inflammation. I have also noticed that hot showers actually increase discomfort for me.

Did anybody else experience the same? Or do you know any negative effects of icing?

Tip: If you are going to do this, I would say avoid icing the glans, I accidentally did and it became a bit red.
If you want answers, Please help us by filling in your signature block

Click here for Directions

tonyode

Icing any kind of injury typically always helps with pain and help with inflammation. So I don't see how this would have any negative affect at all. But taking  ibuprofen can always help with the pain and inflammation as well. The icing certainly isn't going to help with the actual progression of the disease though. But as you are experiencing, if it helps with pain, I see no need to stop doing it. I have read a few people on here talk about heat therapy and some believe it actually does help with peyronies although I haven't found any studies to corroborate this. With physical injuries, they say ice for the first 48-72 hrs. Then move to heat.  
Early 50s, 7 months diagnosed. 55 degree curve, indentation at base to the left.

JohnnyDoe

Thanks for the reply.

Yeah I am also thinking to keep icing for now when it hurts. I had an inflammatory shoulder ligament injury before that lasted for almost 2 years. Finally what completely resolved it in a relatively short time was:

1) Heat / warm up
2) Do exercises 3 times a week to make shoulder muscles stronger and stretch ligament
3) Cool / ice at the end to avoid inflammation

I have not started doing any kind of traction yet, but I wonder if the same steps would make sense for traction.
But I still need to better understand what traction exactly does, because 2 urologists I visited did not mention such a thing.
As weird as it might sound, would be nice if there was a physical therapist for Peyronies.
If you want answers, Please help us by filling in your signature block

Click here for Directions

NeoV

Ice never helped me, and almost seemed to make it worse! However, I do think it may work along with heat. I don't want to discourage anyone from experimenting. Ice is probably wise in the case of penile trauma.