Tips to ease into keto

Previous topic - Next topic

Gabriel

Hello guys!

So that's it: even with my recent improvements in pain and EQ (see my posts on Curcumax), I am fed up with this never-ending acute phase, and also fed up with the whole bunch of symptoms which started with Peyronies Disease and could be correlated to insulin resistance (nocturia, insomnia, random muscular zaps when trying to fall asleep, prostatism...); this night of insomnia was particularly insane, so I decided to follow the examples of brave and successful buddies here (JS, Neo, Zipolite...) and go full keto earlier than planned (ie beginning at the end of next week)!

So, I would like to gather some tips to ease into keto, aiming for anecdotical recommendations. From the tons of informations I read on seemingly serious sites, I intend to do the following:
- Progressively reduce the amount of carbs to 50g/day over the next days;
- Start taking 4g of potassium bicarbonate, three teaspoons of sodium bicarbonate and 300mg of magnesium per day;
- Stop eating at 5 PM on D-day, then break the mini-fast at noon the day after with my first keto meal;
- Do not do any physical exercise nor hard cerebral tasks during one week.

--> Do you guys think these previsions are relevant, or do you see something I should modify/add to the planning or to my kitchen shelves (especially to beat the keto flu, which I'm really afraid of)?

Thanks a lot for your advice :-)!!

- 35 yo, Peyronies Disease with chronic pain, general hourglassing with girth and length loss since 09/01/17.
- Pain almost cured with Hirudoid cream and diet/lifestyle changes (see my topics on this); deformity still here, but partly reduced with traction + VED.

diehardpatriot

Gabriel, I have also been keto for at least 2 months now
Penis injury in late 2017. A lump formed at injury site that caused no deformity, just pain and a palpable lump. Pain is improving through proper rest and use, diet, and mindfulness. I am always learning and looking to share things that have helped.

diehardpatriot

Gabriel, try getting your feeeding window to 6 hours a day st most. Whenever you eat insulin is still spiked even if it's low carb. Don't be scared. I've been on keto for a while and even fasted 50 something hours recently. There is NOTHING to be scared of. It is NOT unhealthy. It amazes me how fast people here will inject their dicks with flesh eating bacteria (xiaflex) but are scared to fast.  
Penis injury in late 2017. A lump formed at injury site that caused no deformity, just pain and a palpable lump. Pain is improving through proper rest and use, diet, and mindfulness. I am always learning and looking to share things that have helped.

TonySa

One can go keto w/o the long hours of fasting.  Maybe just go for 8-10 hrs not eating overnight.
PxD 2 yrs 9/16.  Failed all treatment. 9/11/18: excision, grafting & implant Dr Karpman MtnView Ca, AMS CX 18cm + 3-1cm RTEs.
Pump failed.  2/11/20 Dr Karpman installed Titan 22cm +1cm RTE.

diehardpatriot

Tony, yes they can. But what I'm trying to get at here is anyone who wants to try fasting should not be scared that's all. Any step towards better health is good for peyronies

Gabriel

Diehardpatriot, thanks a lot for your input!! I should have told it before though: I'm already on IF since 6 months or so, the 16:8 way, and loving it! I'll surely try to reduce it to a 20:4 fashion when I'm well installed into ketosis. How is keto doing for you buddy?

About long-lasting fast, I'm not anxious nor suspicious that it would be unhealthy; I'm just scared of getting struck by a huge keto flu and feeling like I'm gonna die from mental and physical pain while I'm on a working day (my work is essentially making public speeches, so  ;D...).

If you had keto flu, how long did it last for you guys??
- 35 yo, Peyronies Disease with chronic pain, general hourglassing with girth and length loss since 09/01/17.
- Pain almost cured with Hirudoid cream and diet/lifestyle changes (see my topics on this); deformity still here, but partly reduced with traction + VED.

diehardpatriot

Gabriel, I never got keto flu, only a headache for a few hours that went away. Keto is doing amazing for me and that's why I've decided to fast. Fasting is like keto on steroids. I'm scyuslly building muscle too. Drinking salt water (3 different salts mixed into alkaline water) will keep you from feeling like crap while fasting. I feel amazing while fasting and drinking salt water. If you get keto flu it's just your withdrawal symptoms of sugar. The faster you get through that the better anyway  

Gabriel

And another awesome news about fasting on keto ;-)... That's very, very encouraging! I'll be starting in less than 10 days now :). What are these three types of salt you mixed into your water exactly? And have you thought about using MCT oil (I ordered one bottle already!!)?

JS1991

Gabriel, that salt water is called "Snake Juice". You only drink that to keep your electrolytes up while fasting. In terms of keto flu, I went from eating carbs and sugar every day my entire life straight into a long water fast, and this forced keto flu out of me. I felt like crap for a day, and then it went away and my body is fully adjusted; I've never had an issue since. Your case will actually go smoother since you are more adjusted. It really is not that bad, I promise. Once you go through the initial keto flu, you'll never have an issue with it again.

Also, I know that your main goal right now is to reduce inflammation, and I'd like to mention that mine is reduced dramatically since fasting. My main three goals with fasting: eliminate hard flaccid, force myself out of the acute phase, remodel/remove scar tissue.
Do your homework before attempting a prolonged fast. JS1991 Timeline - Peyronies Society Forums (updated)

Gabriel

Hey guys, hi again JS,

Like I just wrote elsewhere, I'm 4 days into keto, been drinking snake juice and am transitioning to OMAD; I never get ANY symptoms of keto flu, just a little fatigue (conjugated with a high available energy feeling, very paradoxical!!!) and a little more insomnia on day 1 (with MUCH improved sleep from day 2); and so far I feel great :-)!!!