Tomas1 - Implant Journal

Previous topic - Next topic

tomas1

At last, some good news.
I just got a call from my urologist's office stating I can probably get the surgery next month.
I also hope to be able to report that things went well. That's my hope.
85 years old.
Implanted 01/22/19 by Dr Avila.
18cm AMS 700 CX, 3.5cm RTE 100cc reservoir
Diagnosed with Gleason  6 prostate cancer.
Monitoring it for now.

Hawk

Great news Tomas.  Please gives us more details as you can.  We want to hear from you and stay informed about your journey.
Prostatectomy 2004, radiation 2009, currently 70 yrs old
After pills, injections, VED - Dr Eid, Titan 22cm implant 8/7/18
Hawk - Updated 10/27/18 - Peyronies Society Forums

Pfract

Hey Tomas! Haven't seen you on the board before, maybe I have missed you? What's your story, if I may ask? Anybody more know in terms of implants that you are planning to go to?  

tomas1

I was always pretty active on FT mostly about injections. They began to slow down and I had to keep upping the strength of the formula and finally it all quit working.

My wife and I still "had" a pretty active sex life; I guess we averaged 2 to 3 times a week. Not bad for old people.
I approached my urologist, Dr Desiderio Avila in Phoenix about implants back in late October and he seemed pretty enthused about it. He said I'd need pre-surgery approval from a GP and I got that quickly.

After that, I heard nothing and was almost to the point of trying to get an appointment in Baltimore, my hometown. I left there in 1965 so I'm not much of a native anymore. I also left a message to the surgical scheduler and heard nothing back until yesterday, Friday Dec 21.

I figured what the hell, I'll do it. There have to be many competent, non-superstar surgeons out there and I hope he will be one.

We still don't have the date set, but it sounds like sometime in Jan 2019.

It's my real hope that I can report an almost trouble free surgical result. My wife said no pictures but that wasn't going to happen lol. I hope to have the AMS 700 LGX.

Since I have neither Peyronies nor noticeable scarring maybe that will work.
Doc also said he has had success with that one even for guys who are well endowed. I'm somewhere in the average range.

I'll do my best to post updates abd thanks for the support.

Tom
85 years old.
Monitoring it for now.

Pfract

Thomas.... I don't mean to undermine your doctor or steer you out your path, but being from Baltimore and not seeing Dr Kramer.... It's like going to Italy and not seeing the Colosseum. Please.... Are you familiar with his work?  

TonySa

Great news Tomas, please keep us informed as you go along.
PxD 2 yrs 9/16.  Failed all treatment. 9/11/18: excision, grafting & implant Dr Karpman MtnView Ca, AMS CX 18cm + 3-1cm RTEs.
Pump failed.  2/11/20 Dr Karpman installed Titan 22cm +1cm RTE.

Hawk

Tomas,

I completely agree, there have to be a lot of great surgeons out there that are not the superstars.  In addition to that even a mediocre surgeon produces some really good surgeries.  The problem how do we find them mixed in among the surgeons that produce the bad outcomes that are not uncommon?  It is a game of chance and I was always told never to gamble that which I was not willing to lose.  I am kind of with Pfract.  If I had ANY connection with Baltimore I would be in Dr. Krammer's office.  Not sure about Kramer but Eid has you cycling in 3 days and sex in we days.  This is months faster recovery than many doctors.

In any case if you weigh the odds and accept the risk and decide to go local I will be sending you all the best wishes I can muster.  I will be thrilled to get great reports.  Keep us updated.

tomas1

Thanks for the well wishes. Since I left B-more in 1965 just about everyone I was close to have either died or moved out. I'm going to put trust in my local guy. He has always been very accommodating of my wishes and I hope this will be the same.

I'm a bit envious of p-diddy's rapid progress and hope for something similar.
I've always been a fast healer and never suffered any infections even with wounds that I handled myself. Not the brightest course but what the heck?
85 years old.
Monitoring it for now.

Hawk

Well, keep us up to date all the way with yourself.  We are very interested.

Alibaba

tomas1, you are amazing. Best wishes to you. Cheers.

Pfract, and Hawk, anyone with balls enough to get an implant at 80 likely can tell his local doctor he can come back and strangle him to death before his burns his office to the ground if he does a half assed job.

Go for it man!  
Milam 1/13/16-LGX 21cm - BAD service & surgical outcome Hated infrapubic.
Kramer revision 3/1/17 Titan 22cm + 1.5 cm extenders

Hawk

I met an 81 yr old in Dr. Eid's office that was in for a check-up.  He had his implant a year.  He said his wife has the Mona Lisa touch procedure and they were like teenagers.  He used his implant 300 times the first year.

Pfract

Lol? Mona Lisa touch procedure? Have to google that out. Gimme a sec  8)

tomas1

Hi again, guys,
Thanks for the positive replies.
Just to update things, my doc's office called and I have a tentative date at Chandler hospital on the 22d of Jan.

I will see him a week earlier and I'll give him a pep talk.
I want him to look back and say it's the best result he's ever had.

I think things will go well since I've always healed my wounds well and have never had an infection (knock, knock).

That was an interesting story about the 81 year old guy. I think I'll have similar results, but my wife usually doesn't like 2 days in-a-row. I think when we finally get it going again we'll use it a lot.

I'll let you know how the pre-op goes.
Tom
85 years old.
Monitoring it for now.

Hawk

Tomas

Please take objective exact measurements before surgery.  If you can get an erection with a VED and a VED band do that.  Press the ruler very firm against the pubic bone and measure to the tip.  Take 3 girth measurements (1. behind the glans 2. Midshaft 3. Very near the base).

If you cannot get a firm erection with the VED or other means than press the ruler very firmly against the pubic bone and stretch the flaccid penis straight out parallel to the floor.  Measure to the tip.  That is usually VERY close to erect length.

Do NOT underestimate this surgery.  I am in excellent health and great shape. It kicked my butt the first two days and was tedious after that for a couple weeks.

Best wishes

tomas1

I've always been the same size and never lost any length. When I first experienced ED I kept up with the VED.
Now that NOTHING is working, I still use the VED to not lose anything. I can pump to 1/2" more using it, but don't really need the extra 1/2" lol.

Using injections when they worked well I did notice some nice increase in girth, but didn't measure it.

Coming out of the VED I still have a good sized softie, but I think the girth is less than it was with the injections.

Can you tell me why it's important to know the girth measurement?

I hope to get implanted with the LGX and hopefully it will fill me out to where I should be.

Also, I hope to get the peno-scrotal method. I wonder if it will matter that much? My doc said it depends on the patient, but how come? Maybe I'll revisit that with him.
85 years old.
Monitoring it for now.

TonySa

There are arguments pro and con with both infrapubic and penalscrotal approaches.  For the best outcome, I believe it's most important your doc is very familiar (does regularly and High volume) w the approach they use with you and AND that pumping inflation begins within 3 days of surgery.
PxD 2 yrs 9/16.  Failed all treatment. 9/11/18: excision, grafting & implant Dr Karpman MtnView Ca, AMS CX 18cm + 3-1cm RTEs.

Hawk

I would want to know my exact measurements going in to compare them to post op.  I just cannot imagine saying," wow it looks like I gained about an inch or this doctor shorted me 2" I think but I am not positive.  How can you or anyone else on the forum evaluate your doctor if there is no reference point?

I'm not sure what advantages the infra-pubic approach is supposed to have because the only upside I have heard is faster recovery, yet no one has faster recovery than Dr. Eid's patients with penoscrotal approach.  My impression is peoscrotal also gives a better, more concealed routing of the tubing.  Also there is a greater risk of sensory loss.

tomas1

I know I'll have a length benchmark to use after surgery.
As far as girth goes, if I get (and I think I will) the LGX, I should be fine.

Just got a call from the doc's office. I go to the hospital at 5am and surgery is at 7.
No sex till next day. Just kidding of course.

I told the woman who call that I didn't want the doc to drink too much the night before.
I said that to my eye doc before cataract surgery and he didn't appreciate it.

By the way, today I had my last Yag procedure done by a different eye doc.
85 years old.
Monitoring it for now.

TonySa

Titan provides the most girth.

tomas1

Got a call from surgery scheduler yesterday.
She asked if I was diabetic, No
Asked if I have a cardiologist, No
Asked if I have a pacemaker, No

Asked if I use blood thinners, Baby aspirin
Fish oil, Yes
Vitamin D, Yes

She said stop 7 days prior to surgery and no pain relief except Tylenol
That won't be necessary.

I VEDing each day to keep things going.
85 years old.
Monitoring it for now.

Hawk

Through a lot of searching I have never heard of vitamin D being stopped prior to surgery.  To the contrary, vitamin D is frequently recommended because it speeds healing and studies suggest it reduces mortality, and infection.

tomas1

I'll check that out on Wednesday.
It's not a big deal either way for me.
85 years old.
Monitoring it for now.

TonySa

I've heard both re Vit D and surgery. I lowered my intake before surgery and increased two weeks after...just my own intuitive method of dealing w the conflicting info.

Alibaba

I have not heard of a vitamin D issue. I've had 22 surgeries and it has never been mentioned and I do take it for bone deterioration caused by my other meds.   Vitamin E was prescribed for me by Dr. Steven Brandes in 2008 and I took it until this year for penis circulation.  Each surgery I was told to stop the E for 2 weeks because it will cause bleeding.  80 and getting an implant. That is something! Cheers.

tomas1

It's funny, but I never really felt old until my bro-in-law who is a week older is more dead than alive and the number 80 gives me pause.

Last year I re-shingled my whole 2k sq ft roof and changed most of the fascia boards, furring, and drip edges.
My wife always helps me on projects, but since I took a dive off a friend's roof 10 years ago, she refuses to go on the roof anymore.

By the way, everything was in slow motion during my dive, but I did break a wrist and got a mild concussion.
Lucky I landed on dirt but it rang my bell.
85 years old.
Monitoring it for now.

tomas1

I saw my uro today for my pre-op for my implant on 01/22/19.
He asked if I had any concerns and I gave him several:

Can I get the LGX?
He said he always tries to use it unless there's excessive scarring, or cylinders are longer than 18cm.
I said I've always been 6" and shouldn't have a problem,
He reminded me he wouldn't know the whole length until he measured it all.
I notice that many others here fall into the sweet spot he wants, so that's encouraging.

Can I have the peno-scrotal method?
He said that should not be a problem.
I worry about the tubing routing that some have encountered.

Will I have to stay in the hospital over night?
He said he likes to do that to guard against infection.
I'd feel safer in my own home, but I'll go along.
At least I can get catheter removal and urinary stream monitored that way.

I want you be able to say this is one of your best results ever.
Naturally he agreed with that.

I am to bathe each day with Hibiclens to ward off bacteria. Funny, I can't use it in the genital area.
I guess it at least prevents bacteria in general.

We tried to get the post-op prescriptions at Walmart but they denied the opioids due to the frequency or qty written. I guess it's for the common good like every other restriction put on everyone like TSA, baby formula, and cough meds. I have time for that to be resolved.

This will be my first stay overnight in a hospital since I got my tonsils out 73 years ago.

By they way, I misunderstood the vitamin yesterday. It was vitamin E they wanted stopped, not D.
85 years old.
Monitoring it for now.

Hawk

Tomas,  I am almost certain the surgeon intends for you tobwas the genital area with Hibiclens.  Mine did.

It is crucial you find out ASAP.

tomas1

Hawk,
I actually arrived at the same conclusion.
Maybe the restriction was for women to not get it internally.
I'll keep it away from my pee hole though.
Nice to hear support about that and thanks for it.

Wonder if I should do a little "manscaping" before d-day?
Maybe just shorten the hair?

Wonder if I should take my laptop along?
My wife could shepherd it.
85 years old.
Monitoring it for now.

Hawk

Tomas,

Dr Eid specified do NOT shave or clip because it promotes bacterial growth.  I am not sure I understand the concept but I followed the instructions.  At this stage for a few days I would be far more concerned about eradicating skin bacteria that could get transferred to the implant during handling than I would about getting Hibiclens in my pee-hole.

TonySa

My doc recommended hibiclens for several days before surgery. Also, recommended shaving by surgeon not day or two before.

Hawk

tomas1

OK, no manscaping.
Washed the surgical area with Hibiclens last night and obviously had no issues.

I called uro office about the Percocet and they didn't know anything, but would look into it.
We went to Walmart and only got the anti-bacteria and stool softener.

I over reacted to the pharmacist about the Percocet.
I even said "f-it, I don't care".
My nerves are a bit raw and I can't help it.
If it all gets resolved, I'll apologize to him.
85 years old.
Monitoring it for now.

Old Man

Tom:

Yep, that was it. I found your post after I wrote my PM to you. It was listed in the new posts listing in the home page index.

Thanks for all your PMs keeping me up to date on your count down to your surgery soon.

Regards, Bill
Age 92. Peyronies Disease at age 24, Peyronies Disease after
stage four radical prostatectomy in 1995, Heart surgery 2004 with three bypasses/three stents.
Three more stents in 2016. Hiatal hernia surgery 2017 with 1/3 stomach reduction. Many other surgeries too.

tomas1

Thanks for checking up on me.
I got a call from uro's office, but they hung up before I could answer.
I guess I can go to WM again on Monday to check.

Barb and I took a dry run to Chandler hospital so I know how long it takes to get there.
It took 20 minutes and the parking lot should be empty at 5am.
I hope my doc is an early person.

I  think if she still loved me she would stay in my room all night.
Just kidding, I guess.
She bought me some PJs today and hope she doesn't expect me to wear them at home lol.

I'm curious to see when checkout time is?
I hope it's early, but probably not.
85 years old.
Monitoring it for now.

tomas1

Doc's office called WM and straightened thing out.
We went there and got 30 Oxys and I apologized to the pharmacist.
He was gracious and said it was no big deal.
85 years old.
Monitoring it for now.

TonySa

Sometimes pharmacists get overzealous, mostly there a great underutilized resource re meds, side-effects, interactions, etc.

tomas1

Well, it's on for tomorrow morning.
I really don't like spending a night in a hospital, but I'll handle it.
I assume I'll take my pain, antibiotic, stool softener and some Tylenol along.

Also taking a robe, PJs and slippers.

Don't know how long my wife will hang out, but I guess she can go home for lunch.
85 years old.
Monitoring it for now.

Alibaba

Best wishes. Heals easier than wrists, doesn't get dirt in your teeth like the bell ringing. Cheers.

TonySa

Congrats on your surgery, please keep us posted.

tomas1

Sorry so late reporting in but haven't really felt up to it.

Well, I had the surgery on !/22 and it seemed to go pretty well.
I ended up with the 18cm AMS 700 CX with 3.5cm RTE.
Not happy with the choice, but I'll use it someday.

The next day the only discomfort was the damn catheter.
After getting released the next day it seems I get a new pain or discomfort each day.
One that continues to torment me is in the low groin area probably where he opened it to insert the reservoir.

For some reason, my scrotum hasn't swollen noticeably, but my penis did today. I'm icing it.
I'm using the Oxi more than I anticipated. Good thing I got em.

My doc is disappointing me by not giving me any post-op instructions and hasn't even called to check on me.
I will let him know this when I see him.

I also have some congestion that costs me sleep.
I can't wait to start healing.
85 years old.
Monitoring it for now.

Alibaba

200 cc saline?  Are you serious? That sounds excessive. Heal well. 6 days out now, you should see noticeable improvement quickly. Cheers man

Bubba dawg

I have had 4 Surgeries. No doctor called to check up on me either. So that is normal in my experience. They figure you will call them if you have any problems that are not normal side effects. Glad things went well. Try and focus on the positives. Your still alive and able to have Surgery at 80 years old!!
5 Rounds of Xiaflex. Good results.

I am known to give out false information and post nonsense with little to no evidence to back up my claims.
I have ignored several warnings. Further reports to the moderators or Administrators and I will be banned.

tomas1

Ali, they put that on the surgery report. They probably didn't need to use all 200cc of it. The note was very sketchy and I wouldn't have seen it unless I asked the nurse if he could find it.

Calling the doc's office is a real pain, but I do wish he would have followed up with a welfare call.
I got called after cataract surgery and skin cancer surgery.

Bubba, as far as being 80, I simply don't feel old. If my wife wasn't as horny as I am, I wouldn't have done it. Last night I thought about trying it out, but cooler heads prevailed. We settled for a nice kiss and some I love yous. We don't do that often enough.
85 years old.
Monitoring it for now.

Bubba dawg

Great you both still love sex.. I had a friend who was still having sex in his 90s. How old is your wife?  
5 Rounds of Xiaflex. Good results.

I am known to give out false information and post nonsense with little to no evidence to back up my claims.
I have ignored several warnings. Further reports to the moderators or Administrators and I will be banned.

tomas1

She's 78, I can't recall her ever being sick.
85 years old.
Monitoring it for now.

tomas1

I just got around to putting some Neosporin on the sutures and noticed I have a horizontal incision on the scrotum.
My pump is quite happy since it's hanging below my shrunken balls thanks to T shots.

In case anyone has read all this, have any of you had the most discomfort with where the reservoir was pushed through some kind of barrier? Mine is still painful and does require pain meds. It grabs me when I rise from a lounge chair. My wife is able to pull my arm and it doesn't seem to hurt then.

Also, I have no scrotal swelling or bruising. My "snake eyes" decided to seep some clear fluid yesterday and I put some Neosporin on them and they seem to be fine now.

My wife wasn't going to let anyone back east know I had surgery. Today, her sister said she has stage 1 breast cancer and it seems quite treatable. Barb slipped and said I had surgery. When asked why, she said a male thing. I emailed sis-in-law and told all.
85 years old.
Monitoring it for now.

tomas1

Day 9 and it seems encouraging.
My major discomfort hasn't shown up today.

The only problem is we are getting quite horny and I notice distinct engorgement of my penis and happily my glans.
That was one thing I was worried about with implant. Barb wants me to resume my T shots.
I told her I don't want to get any hornier. I'll take one today though.

My "snake eyes" also seem just about healed and won't show when it's all healed.
I did put Neosporine on em again today.
I'd like to walk about with it in the air, but don't

I haven't drank any beer since day 1 post-op and don't miss it.
I know when I start again, I'll have a hard time stopping.
I suggested to my wife that I'd like to stop drinking and she could lose some weight.
No answer!
My BP has been great; go figure lol.

I can easily find my little pump and even made a half-hearted attempt to squeeze it this morning.
The pump seems to be moving around freely in my roomy scrotum.
I probably should wait until next Thu and have the doc tutor me on operation.
85 years old.
Monitoring it for now.

Alibaba

Thank you for the great report. Keep doing well! That is awesome. Cheers.  

tomas1

10 days out and my snake bites have completely healed and closed.
My wife refused to suck the poison out also.

I can't tell if I am properly sized, but I know my doc was very careful measuring (from what he told me his plan was).
I really like the flaccid look and feel so far.
I can't tell if any fluid was left in the cylinders, but a doc did squeeze a lot out.

Funny, I have no sensation of the reservoir. The pain from the penetration to put it in also seems to be gone.
That really felt like what I'd imagine a hernia feels like. It returned once tonight, but not next morning.

My sutures were feeling very tight this morning. I put some Neosporine on them and they appear inflamed. I'll have to momitor that.
The swelling on them is reddish and looks worse than it feels.
85 years old.
Monitoring it for now.

tomas1

Day 11, sutures haven't changed and I hope the Neosporin helps. It does alleviate the tight feeling of them.

Barb wanted to go shopping this morning. I told her I should probablt sit in the truck due to having a buldge.
She said it won't be a problem and come on in.

It does feel funny having an almost constant of arousal but it can't swell much.

Decided to buy a 30 pack of Bud Light since it's on sale for $16.99. Didn't read the small print and ended up needing to buy 2. All this and still not drinking. I'll try to hold off it a bit longer.
85 years old.
Monitoring it for now.